Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on UTV and BT price...

• 11-02-2006 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Its been 3 years since ive reviewed my UTV net sub. Just had a look at BT site and want to make sure this is right.

- BT 2Mb Option 2.
    2Mb BB = €30
    Line Rental €10 extra bundle.
    Connection = €0 (with your own modem)

- UTV Clicksilver 2Mb
    2Mb = €30
    Line Rental = €24
    Connection = €30 (though im already connected)

That puts BT €14 cheaper now. Is it worth staying with UTV considering they may try to tie me into anther 12mth contract.

Dots.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if the modem you have is a UTV modem, then you ill have to return it, so the BT connection fee would be €40.

But either way it is still worth it. BT has a much better cap and cap policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dotsie~tmp wrote:
    Its been 3 years since ive reviewed my UTV net sub. Just had a look at BT site and want to make sure this is right.

- BT 2Mb Option 2.
    2Mb BB = €30
    Line Rental €10 extra bundle.
    Connection = €0 (with your own modem)

- UTV Clicksilver 2Mb
    2Mb = €30
    Line Rental = €24
    Connection = €30 (though im already connected)

That puts BT €14 cheaper now. Is it worth staying with UTV considering they may try to tie me into anther 12mth contract.

Dots.
    Those figures are correct.
    UTV will tie you to a contract but it's 6 months now. Plus they will also charge you a disconnection fee. €59.99 if you cancel within the 6 months or €29.99 after that.
    As bk said their cap policy is woeful and getting worse by the day.
    Well worth changing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You won't be charged a dissconnection fee as it wasn't in place when you signed up. This is only for new customers, bizare too. You should be able to do a simple bitstream transfer to BT, though you'll need your own modem for the free connection as was mentioned.

jor el wrote:
    You won't be charged a dissconnection fee as it wasn't in place when you signed up. This is only for new customers, bizare too. You should be able to do a simple bitstream transfer to BT, though you'll need your own modem for the free connection as was mentioned.
    Thats right. I was giving him the scenario if he signed up to one of the new UTV packages with the new T&C's (which he seems to be considering).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

You won't be charged a dissconnection fee as it wasn't in place when you signed up

jor el how do you know this? I signed up to UTVs BB as soon as it started in Jul 03. Since then i have chosen to switch my option once (when they reduced the price to €30 from €47 in Mar 04). To take advantage of the drop you were forced to sign up to another 12 months contract. Does that mean if the original T&C didnt contain a disco. fee (which i dont know if it did or not) then my new contact in Mar 04 might have? BTW where can i find my original T&C from 03 or info that says i dont have to pay a disconnection fee.

PS. if i am switch to BT what is the process. Do i need to contact UTV or can i just go to BT and they will do the work and my old account will be cancelled. The process seems as clear as mud.

Dots.

• Advertisement

The disconnection fees only came ito being in June 2005. If you signed up before that, they don't apply.
    Here are pre-June 2005 T&C's:
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/promotandc_upto20050701.asp

Don't do anything. Let BT take care of it. They will send you a DTAF (BB transfer form) that you fill in and return. Don't contact or cancel UTV until you are live with BT. The upside is no down time. The downside is you may get caught for an extra month BB charge to UTV due to their 30 day notice rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I've given UTV notification that I'll be leaving for another service provider (didn't specify who) and gave instructions not to cancel the BB as the transfer will be handled by the new provider.

Advertisement