Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bloody scammers ruining it for the rest of us!

Options
  • 11-02-2006 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty much set to head up north on Monday or Tuesday to buy a nice 328 i saw there but am keeping an open mind and saw another in the UK on autotrader that i liked so i just phoned the guy.

Explained that i'm from Dublin and what would the nearest airport be i wanted to buy the car and then asked him the neccessarys for HPI check requested more detail about service history etc.

Then got the "i've had calls like this before mate i'm not interested"!! Knew exactly what he was talking about of course and tryed to explain look i'm not paying with dodgy bank drafts it's cash only i don't want money from you for someone else interested in the car i'm a genuine buyer and just want to know more about the car.

"Yeah mate, look for another car ok"!

This is the second time i've gotton this recently, the minute they hear you're coming over from Ireland warning bells light up :( Can't blame them though it's the same here the minute you get an interested buyer who says he's from the UK you're immediately suspicious.

Bloody annoying! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Maybe it's they who are the scammers ?! There are a lot of too good to be true adds in cbg.ie etc. For example I emailed a guy selling an Impreza STi for 10000 euro, scam ! Add said he was in Cork his email said Netherlands. If you ask for a face to face they will refuse for obvious reasons.

Maybe you're lucky in a way to have gotten away without being ripped off ?!

Here's the email I got back for the impreza. It included genuine looking pictures of UK logg book and documents relating to the car which I haven't included here. www.cbg.ie have since removed the add.:
    scammer wrote:
    Hello,for starters my name is David Hughes and I am glad you are interested in my car.This car meets all Environmental Regulations in the UNITED KINGDOM and IRELAND its Registration Document was issued by DVLA and it can be registred anytime under your name without a problem.The car is absolutely perfect, never been involved in any type of accident and does not have any mechanical flaws or had any paint or body work done,it has all inspections up to date, hasn't been repaired, the interior is very clean and also is a non smoking car.I live in NETHERLAND now and I came here with the intention to remain for only a few months but in the meanwhile my fiancee and I decided to settle down here.The car cannot be registered in NETHERLAND because of the different standards and then there is the problem of the steering wheel because cars here have it on the left and as a result nobody here is interested in it,which is the reason why I am selling so cheap. The shipping is included in the price,my fiancee works for SAS Cargo and I can arrange to pay only a small sum for the shipping,amount which I will cover myself.The car will reach your address in 5 to 10 days.We will use a safe payment method through Escrow Insurer,I have a a purchase protection account for €10000 and I assume you know what this means. I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.Thank you

Engine Size: 1,994 cc, Mileage: 32000, MOT Expiration Date: Feb 2006, Date of 1st Registration: 01 Mar 2003, Transmission: Manual, Fuel: Petrol. Options: 4-Wheel Drive, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Catalytic Converter, CD Player, Central Locking, Electric Windows, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Premium Sound System, Rear Spoiler, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts, Clifford Alarm System.

ZEN

Advertisement