Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Line Maintenance And Engineering???

Options
  • 11-02-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there, those of you following my earlier threads will have noted that I have exposed the brown and blue wires running into my house from the street. These wires are essentially my phone line. Connected to those [by mere twisting of wires together] is a length of what we could commonly refer to or regard as plain old "phone line" - ie a white plastic column containing 6 different coloured wires rolled together.

Now, I am trying to re-wire the entire thing to get it ready for a broadband modem so that it is good to go. My problem is that the line is currently very bad quality, lots of static and interference. The modem dial-up fails after about 3 minutes or so every time.

Basically what I am looking for is advice as to how to go about fixing this myself using modern telephone wire and cable, jack boxes [Jacks, or sockets if you will] and the relevant connectors. Does anyone have any preferred wiring diagrams they'd like to share? A lot of the stuff I have bought [jacks mainly] are compatible but poorly made, the RJ-11 spade end keeps popping out compounding the issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Phone uses the middle two wires if you use RJ45 wiring and CAT5E cable:
    which is the blue and blue/W wites in Cat5E cable.

Google CAT5.

If using RJ11, also the two middle pins / wires are for the phone, The two wires either side don't connect to incomming phone line at all but in parallel to every phone outlet as an anti tinkle circuit.

Advertisement