Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS or not?

Options
  • 11-02-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

So my boss called me up and said to repay me for all my hard work lately i should go out and buy myself something (He suggested Ipod or camera - i have both already) Was thinking about maybe a fancy phone or PDA but then i was in a taxi and the driver had GPS. It seemed to be decent enough one. So i think thats what i might get.

Questions i have are....has anyone used GPS with irish Maps and do you know which ones are best? Am i better going for a PDA and get a GPS unit for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

What PDA do you have?
    Do you have a budget?
    I was about to post about PDA sat nav systems as I am considering getting one for my pocket PC. Expansys have the copilot 6 b/tooth system for UK and ireland (eire!) for around 250 euro. I'm wondering what systems people use and how do you find them outside of Dublin?
    If you have a good PDA it will probably work out cheaper going this way and maybe you could swing something else along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I don't actually have a PDA yet. Was wondering if that was a better way to go than getting a stand alone GPS unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bbcus

I have the above and the Dublin area is fairly well covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For coverage in UK & Irl (same disc) check out both the TeleAtlas and NavTech websites. I don't know the exact addresses so just Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Setanta unless you need a PDA get the dedicated system as you have receiver etc in 1 unit.
    The copilot system uses the navteq maps which are supposed to be very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

How is the coverage for outside Dublin? Is it jsut the big towns that are covered>?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The Garmin ique M5 is my recommendation. Windows based PDA with built in GPS and Garmin software I believe provides the best coverage for Ireland

Advertisement