Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE's thoughts on Cena's boos

• 11-02-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This is from PWtorch.com regarding why the fans have been booing John Cena:
    Triple H believes that John Cena lost the crowd's support due to Kurt Angle's failure to portray an effective heel.

One excuse WWE officials are using to explain his souring rapport with male WWE fans, however, is that the wrestler is simply too good looking. Those buying into this logic feel that male fans are threatened by the wrestler's looks.

WWE used the same excuse when fans turned on Shawn Michaels much earlier in his career.

I find both these explanations ridiculous and I disagree with them completely.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

This is from PWtorch.com regarding why the fans have been booing John Cena:

I find both these explanations ridiculous and I disagree with them completely.

Your thoughts?
    this is what i said on another wrestling website, now the important thing here for everyone to take note, but i doubt many people will is that, some guy said that some guy told him that triple H said.... wtf, hardly acurate reporting
    i don't know exactly what HHH said about angle, i do feel he might have had a point if he'd been saying WWE destroyed Angles heel attempts, by aligning angle with bischoff and then davari, the fans were never really booing angle, despite his great turns as a heel, if thats where trip was coming from then maybe he was right, angle wrestled well and tried everything he could to turn the crowd on him but in angles defence he had two problems,
    1. the crowd already hated cena by now, and respected anlges ability which has nothing to do with his character, so they simply didn't want to see cena anymore
    2. between davari and bischoff they weakened kurts authority slightly, kurt was always responsible for his own decisions etc but now he was being sent to attack by bischoff, and was davari was suppsoedly taking care of the tactical end.
    and in the end especially the davari run made angle look like a comedic heel, meaning he was over with the fans even more
    ultimatley none of it is Angles fault, it's wwe not letting their best stars do what they do best.
    as for the he's better looking than you deal, so is randy orton but i still cheered him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

HHH was right. Angle was getting cheered every week. He simply didnt do enough to be a heel. FFS, Cena ended up playing the heel champ role IMO.

Example - Taboo Tuesday : his role in the match was similar to that of Kurt Angle in the 6 way HIAC in 2000 ie very little offense but picks up the sneaky win, pissing off the fans as the win, while legitimate, was a cop out and totally undeserved.

Added to the fact that the number of DQ wins Angle got over Cena etc, made Angle look like the competitor, and Cena like the 'win by any means possible pussy'.

With regard to the second point, I would agree to that also. What we have to remember here that the vast majority of wrestling fans are single guys aged 14-30. Many/most single fellas of this age have low self esteem (now I am not meaning this as an insult to anyone, as I too was single and had esteem no higer than my toe nails), and have a poor outlook on life, especially to those jocks out there who everything comes easy, good at sports, and good looking therefore no problems with the ladies. Guys more insecure than gilrs in many respects. Cena is everyting the above demographic hates, no matter how well he works his street thug gimmick, he is still the alpha male that was the highschool jock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

But according to reports Cena got booed just as heavily when he faced Triple H in the Point as he did Angle. Triple H is just as guilty of that as Angle in the past. And i dont blame them. Guys like Angle and Triple H have a track record of great matches which builds up credibility and repsect amongst the core audience. I remember at the Point, Angle did absolutely everything he could to play the heel. But sometimes it just won't work. People respect him. They alligned him with the Osama Bin Laden JR. of the WWE and people still cheered him.

And they had to give angle a few wins so that the feud could go on.The booking of finishes would not be purely his responsiblity either. It would be a decision for creative and ulitmately Vince Mc Mahon. It was a long feud and both had to look competitive. If they did n't make Angle look competive then why would people have any incentive to buy the match on ppv ?

And Cena's booing. Its alot of things not just one issue. His gimmick comes accross kinda cheesey I think this is the main issue. They took away his edge.

If Trips faces Cena at wrestlemania he will do no better job at being a heel and turning the crowd against him than Angle would have in my opinion.
    And the fact that in comparison to previous champions in the recent past minus JBL, he is just not of their calabre. I think his looks at the very most is a minor issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

PERSONALLY I THink cena is cute. but come on it's not only the male fans that have noticed he's not great in the ring..... give us female fan some credit.... i dont see a great wrestler in cena, all i see is money in the bank for the wwe, thats why he has held onto that title for so long... even edge at some stage of the fued between himself and cena was getting cheered..... yes cena sucks and no matter how the triple h (not certain yet :rolleyes: ) is gonna try and make the wm 22 title match good, it's gonna look crap. sweet mother of god, cena is not in triple h's league..... angle is in triple h's league, the undertaker is in triple h's lead... cena is gonna be exposed at wm22.... and triple h is gonna slice him up and take the wwe title and hopfully changed that damn title..... i for one cannot see triple h keeping on to that spinning title for long..... i will lose respect for him if he does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Can i just ask if right now anyone could be an effective heel against Cena???? Why the hell do you think Edge got the belt? No one likes Edge, plain and simple. His crowd appreciation fell drastically when the deal with Lita came out and that was that, you had a major heel. Just play on the reason the crowd hates you and they did that.

Cena is not liked because to be totally honest, he is pretty much an insult to ever great WRESTLER who ever held the belt.

Now then, maybe Trips did or didn't say what he's said to have said, but the simple fact is that of the few people backstages that he likes, Kurt is at the top of that list so i find it hard to believe that he meant to show Kurt in any sort of bad light! I'm sure he was implying more abotu trying to make the crowd like Cena in a run would be impossible. Hell, at this point i'm sure 50% of the audience would love to se Trips walk down the ramp with a slege and pop Cena with it.

As for the looks thing, total rubbish in my opinion. From any of my lady friends that watch wrestling, very few of them would rate Cena as the best looking guy they have!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

Dragan wrote:

Now then, maybe Trips did or didn't say what he's said to have said, but the simple fact is that of the few people backstages that he likes, Kurt is at the top of that list so i find it hard to believe that he meant to show Kurt in any sort of bad light! I'm sure he was implying more abotu trying to make the crowd like Cena in a run would be impossible. Hell, at this point i'm sure 50% of the audience would love to se Trips walk down the ramp with a slege and pop Cena with it.

now that i would pay good money for :D

As for the looks thing, total rubbish in my opinion. From any of my lady friends that watch wrestling, very few of them would rate Cena as the best looking guy they have!!!!

i said he was cute, he's certainly not the best looking guy in the wwe at the moment... triple h would at the top of my list.... big nose and all :p

Advertisement