Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Signal Processing

Options
  • 11-02-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi, I am starting to make a guitar tuner. Taking input directly from a guitar to a sound card. I will be using DSP for it. to be honest I dont even know ehre to begin. Books just seem to have loads of random formulae. It's quite scary to read too. Has anyone ever made one before or has anyone worked with DSP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

break it down in small bits then is never that scary
    first of all do you have soundcard working and picking up the signal
    after that is just a matter of sampling the sound and applying a forumal to work out the note
    dsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Redegg wrote:
    Hi, I am starting to make a guitar tuner. Taking input directly from a guitar to a sound card. I will be using DSP for it. to be honest I dont even know ehre to begin. Books just seem to have loads of random formulae. It's quite scary to read too. Has anyone ever made one before or has anyone worked with DSP?

I know someone who made one using 8051 assembly code. It was quite easy really.

DSP aint so bad, have you got MATLAB? I assume it will be C that you are using.

From what I can remember it is not too bad of a project but you need to scratch up on whatever software your using. If you are good at programming you will find it very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Not using matlab. Doing project with C#?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Redegg wrote:
    Not using matlab. Doing project with C#?

So you have 3 steps:

(1) Learn how to design this using pseudo code, in other words get an understanding of how this is done www.google.ie .

(2) Learn C#

(3) Integrate the two.

Your first step is to google for answers and read loads of stuff off the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭martinoc

Hi,
    get Digital Audio with Java (Paperback)
    by Craig A. Lindley

It has a bundled cd with just what you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement