Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grundi CV6001 won't stay turned on

• 11-02-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I have a Grundig GV6001 video and the little fecker keeps turning itself off.

Its hooked up so that NTL scart that comes through it so when i'm wacthing digital tv i have to keep turning the video back on as it shuts itself down after about 5 minutes, which wears thin after a while!

Does anyone have any help to offer on this one? Unfortunately i don't know where the manual for the video is...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've never used that particular product but have a look through the menus / setup of the device. There should be an auto shut off or timer setting that you can disable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Peace wrote:
    I have a Grundig GV6001 video and the little fecker keeps turning itself off.

Its hooked up so that NTL scart that comes through it so when i'm wacthing digital tv i have to keep turning the video back on as it shuts itself down after about 5 minutes, which wears thin after a while!

Okay, in the house here we have a Phillips video which we got in 1996 and a Mitsubishi which we got in 1999. I used to have much the same problem with the Phillips (watching TV through it meant it kept shutting down after 5 minutes as well and you used to have to keep pressing the STOP button to "wake it back up" again). Used to annoy the feck out of me as well.

Anyway, reading through the manual for the Mitsubishi when we got it, it mentioned that in order to stop it shutting down after 5 minutes when watching TV you just hold down the STOP button on the remote when switching it on from standby. After a few seconds of holding the button down, a little square icon (slightly different from the normal STOP square icon) shows up on the front display panel and this then means the video is "locked" into TV tuner mode and won't switch off after 5 minutes anymore.

Now, when we got the Mitsubishi I noticed that both video recorders looked quite similar and the remote controls looked about 99% identical. I thought to myself "Hmmm, I wonder if they're based on pretty much the same design and maybe Phillips just licenced the basic design for use by Mitsubishi with just a few cosmetic changes?" I tried the Misubishi's remote control on the Phillips and, lo and behold, it work exactly the same. So then I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can do the whole holding-down-the-STOP-button-to-lock-the-video-into-tuner-mode thingy on the Phillips that works on the Mitsubishi?" I knocked the Phillips into standby mode, picked up the remote, held down the STOP button and, sure enough, after a few seconds the output on the on-screen menu and display panel changed to displaying TUNER. It worked! No more having to press the button every 5 minutes anymore. Pity Phillips didn't mention it in the manual like Mitsubishi did! :mad: Would have saved me 3 or so years of pressing the STOP button every 5 minutes when using it! :D

Now, I don't know if it will work the same with your Grundig, Peace, but you might be lucky and find that it might also be based on the same design as my Phillips and Mitsubishi and, therefore, works in a similar way. As you may know, many companies make versions of other company's products (TV's, video's, DVD players/recorders, etc.) under licence or simply make rebranded versions. Such was the case, obviously, with my Phillips and Mitsubishi videos. Your Grundig might also be the same so the same controls might work. It's worth a try anyway. Let me know how you get on, won't you?

Advertisement