Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Connection

• 11-02-2006 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me. I currently have BT Broadband at home and am getting a laptop and was wondering if I buy a second modem and connect it up to my the phoneline and then the laptop will I be able to get internet on the laptop as well as desktop at the same time?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure if the second modem scenario would work?

You could run one PC off the modem USB connection, the other via normal Ethernet cable. If the PCs are in different rooms, you will have a trailing cable though.

Maybe consider getting a wireless modem. Does the laptop have wireless capability? You cound still run the PC via Ethernet into the wireless modem, so would not need a wifi card for it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

storka wrote:
    Hi just wondering if anyone could help me. I currently have BT Broadband at home and am getting a laptop and was wondering if I buy a second modem and connect it up to my the phoneline and then the laptop will I be able to get internet on the laptop as well as desktop at the same time?
    Thanks!!
    It can be done a number of ways but it depends on what you have. What modem (make and model - look at the label) did BT give you and how is it plugged into your desktop?

The least you'll need is a CAT5 patch cable from PC World, Maplin, Peats etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

its an ZyXel 600 series and its connected to my desktop via Ethernet! Preferably I would want the laptop in another room!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

storka wrote:
    its an ZyXel 600 series and its connected to my desktop via Ethernet! Preferably I would want the laptop in another room!

My experience has been that if you plug two modems in (even if one is turned off) they will cause a disconnection. Wireless is your best solution then you can use your laptop anywhere in the house.

dub45 wrote:
    My experience has been that if you plug two modems in (even if one is turned off) they will cause a disconnection. Wireless is your best solution then you can use your laptop anywhere in the house.

Would that have to be wireless internet service or could I make my current connection into wireless?

• Advertisement

Oh right, does it look like this?
    And does you laptop support wireless? It'll have a wireless light something like this if it does.

If your laptop has wireless, I'd say your best bet is to get a wireless router like this one edit: and plug it into your Zyxel. And you can walk around your house and share your broadband connection.

If your laptop doesn't have wireless, but has a spare USB slot you can give it one of these.

Your other option (I'm sure there's a few more) is if your latop has a 56K modem, then you can use dial up from your laptop. I don't recommend this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

storka wrote:
    Would that have to be wireless internet service or could I make my current connection into wireless?

Yes to the 2nd part of your question. What you need to do is replace your existing ZyXel router with a wireless adsl modem with built in router such as the Linksys WAG354G (available in Argos for €99.99) although there would be other cheaper ones available too

Hey yeah I think i'll go with the new modem option for the wireless seems the easiest but one last thing with sharing the connection between two could they both be on at the same time and would it mean i'd be splitting the download speed? Thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

storka wrote:
    Hey yeah I think i'll go with the new modem option for the wireless seems the easiest but one last thing with sharing the connection between two could they both be on at the same time and would it mean i'd be splitting the download speed? Thanks again!!

Yes to both your questions

The one I linked to isn't actually a modem (got confused there), it's a router with a 4 port switch (uou might want to learn the differences). It would plug into your current modem an share your connection.

It basically allows you to share you internet connection at same time with a lot of computers - 4 plugged in and loads wirelessly. You will be sharing the internet speed when using at the same, but you'll only notice this when downloading big files.

You should also look up on how to secure your wireless connection - to stop your neighbours from stealing your internet speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement