Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP to go with

• 11-02-2006 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi. Im in college at the moment. But for the summer when I return home I really want to have bb at home, we have dial up at home and i cry every every month when i go home because ive a 4mb line where at i at my college apartments. Basically all I want it for is to surf the web, do some dl but mainly its for gaming. Ill be paying for it for maybe some isp around the 20-30euro range. To give you a better idea of what isp which would be able to reach me I am located in the area of Lismore(not in town), Co. Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

get ntl broadband there suppose to be the best.my 2 brothers have it and it is really gr8.as well as that you dont have a download limit and im sure you can get 4mb for 20-30euro i would say it would even be cheaper but not too sure.right now i have 728k on ildana and it costs 70euro but thats a rip off.you will also have to pay for installation i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ntl (if you can)

if not then

smart (if you can)
    eircom
    bt
    utv

the last three basically have the same products but different price and download rates.

the last three

yep it all depends on where you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

do u have a link for the ntl website

• Advertisement

cheers man

your welcome

hey my mate jus told me there that some ip address have interlaced turned on or something like that n it makes them terrible for gaming, how could you tell if it comes wit the ip address from the isp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

He's probably referring to interleaving. That's used on most ADSL connections and has nothing to do with NTL. Either way, it's not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Your mate doesn't have a clue. NTL, BT, Eircom, Smart, UTV. They're all great for gaming. He's just spouting big words he doesn't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

Ntl all the way - if you can. Had it for the last two years and in that time it has broken down once, for half and hour. Very solid and great for gaming.

Hopeful it's available in your area!

Your mate doesn't have a clue. NTL, BT, Eircom, Smart, UTV. They're all great for gaming. He's just spouting big words he doesn't understand.

cheers man. thanks for all the info guys. Is their basic line the 24euro package. Is their anything cheaper. do u think a 512line would handle games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

tom_ass19 wrote:
    cheers man. thanks for all the info guys. Is their basic line the 24euro package.

Which companys basic?
    BT offer 1Mbit DSL for €20 these days or €35 incl line rental:p

Is their anything cheaper. do u think a 512line would handle games

A 256k connection could handle games but its all down to the ping/response time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

tom_ass19 wrote:
    cheers man. thanks for all the info guys. Is their basic line the 24euro package. Is their anything cheaper. do u think a 512line would handle games

What NTL don’t seem to mention about their broadband cable packages is that you have to purchase their TV package and if you never had their TV package before you have to pay an install fee

NTL Cable Packages
    NTL Broadband Starter - €24.99
    Download Speed 1Mbps Upload 100kbps
    Contention Ratio 17:01
    Download cap: 16GB
    First 3 Months Free

(so in reality 1mb from NTL is €24.99 + €19.99 = €44.98 a month + €100 install )

ntl Broadband - €29.99
    Download Speed 2Mbps Upload 200kbps
    Download cap: 30GB
    First 3 Months Free
    (so in reality 2mb from NTL is €29.99 + €19.99 = €49.98 a month + €100 install )

ntl Broadband Max - €39.99
    Download Speed 3Mbps Upload 300kbps
    Download cap: 40GB
    First 3 Months Free
    (so in reality 2mb from NTL is €39.99 + €19.99 = €59.98 a month + €100 install )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

They charge for the analogue INSTALL!!!!

Had chorus a couple of years back(mabye 2) and 2 of us in the house signed up for chorus analogue for €26+€6 a month(extra box was the €6) and didnt have to pay anything for the install*!

What exactly do they do to earn their €100 anyway as it appears very excessive!

*=the connection point ran along the underside of the roof along all the houses...but holes had to be drilled and coax laid down to each of the rooms in the attic...nothing special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Whatever you do, DO NOT go with Irish Broadband. Don't think, "Well, I'll give them a try..."

Just don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Beware NTL :mad:

I'm probably a minority, but I've been having a right old mindf#ck with them for the last 2 and a half week.

I've been experiencing a connection problem for the last 2 weeks or so which their BB support team doesn't understand & apparently can't solve (high pings, lots of timeouts, downstream behaving like a yoyo between 100 bytes per second :eek: right up to 90 kbps average, very rarely up to 500-600kbps, and dowstream usually higher than upstream :eek: ) , which I have proven isn't my fault (tried my hardware (desktop and laptop) at a couple of other, totally different sites (work + friend) - both work flawlessly)

... and to top it, the engineer who's supposed to bring in a new modem hasn't turned up at the last 3 appointments (over a week now: last Tuesday, last Friday as a priority, and this morning as a priority).

Right this minute, NTL are beyond a f#cking joke in my book - I'm sure I'd get better customer support from Mugabe's party officials :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

damien.m wrote:
    What NTL don’t seem to mention about their broadband cable packages is that you have to purchase their TV package and if you never had their TV package before you have to pay an install fee

I've always thought this was a major disadvantage especially since I've got sky+:) Believe me, you'd never want to go back to regular "live" TV once you've tried it (it'd be like having to move back to dial-up!). Having said that I think I read somewhere that NTL in the UK are going to launch a PVR in the next few months.

Anyway I'm with smart for the past week and really pleased so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

tbh, I'd be amazed if you could get anything remotely broadband in Lismore.

Advertisement