Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations..PC

Options
  • 11-02-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

anyone care to recommend any pc games worth splashing out on?

Havent got a whole lot of games at the moment but im looking for an RPG , adventure or point/click game thats not too old...doesnt seem to be many games around at the moment as clever as the old classics such as monkey island

also does anyone buy their games online and is it reliable??

thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

is command&conquer: generals point-and-click?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr_Cullen

Hi project,yeah youre right it is point and click--but sorry i shouldve been clear - adventure point & click game im looking for

doesnt necceserily have to be a point click game though

anyone know where you can get populous online>?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

play.com
    amazon.co.uk
    cdwow.ie

etc. should have everything you want in terms of gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Broken Sword 1, 2 and 3 <- one of my favourite series of any type, especially point & click, although I didn't like some of the platformy bits the third one added

Grim Fandango <- Another great adventure game

Fahrenheit <- try this, its a more modern take on the point and click, feels like a movie

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 <- two excellent RPGs with the emphasis firmly on dialogue and real role playing, I'd never seen a Star Wars movie and it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the games

Planescape: Torment <- one of the deepest RPGs ever in terms of character development and player choices. You need to be prepared to read a lot of text as you play through it.

They're the main ones I can think of right now.

nice one stevie-will check em out--funnily enough i ordered broken sword 1 on amazon last night--loved BS2 so thought id give the 1st one a shot

BS 3 a big let down though--they shouldve sticked to the system they had in the second one--you8re right about the platform bit aswell--no need for this in the game

similarily thats what happened with the monkey island episodes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you’re a fan of old school adventure games like me then you might like Fahrenheit [The Indigo Prophecy] but be warned it does have lots of mini-game segments in it, still worth checking out though.

Not an RPG or adventure but possibly the best platform game ever made Psychonauts is also worth getting it was made by Tim Schaefer & it has lots of great touches and if your a fan of the sort of humour that was in his previous Lucasarts games (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle) you will like this, I consider it as one of the best games I've ever played. The game does work best with a gamepad though but it is totally worth getting one just for this game alone you can use one of those Windows Xbox 360 controllers.

Also Dungeon Siege 2 isn’t bad a better story then first one but it’s a pretty straight forward hack & slash affair.

The people who made MI 3 & 4 arent the same who made 1 & 2 but I dont recall any platform bits even in those there was that annoying monkey kombat in number 4 and they had to add some platformy bits to BS3 because it was released on the consoles as well old school point & click adventure games just dont sell enough these days (Though some argue that’s because the quality has been sorely lacking in the genre for far too long since the golden days of Lucasarts).

I havent played either day of the tentacle or grim fandango

must say after reading reviews on both it sounds like ive some decent gaming to look forward to with both of these--very intrigued by them--only thing is i find theyre quite hard to find and if you find them(amazon)- pricey !

should i splash out 50 yo yos on either or is that a stupid question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you have never played Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle and like adventure games then forget everything else immediately and get those games and play them you will not be disappointed they are both classics.

Grim will work under WinXP with its own installer however DOTT is an old DOS game so it would be best to use ScummVM to play it under WinXP.

(Lucasarts re-released some of its old adventure games in complication packs some of these had new .exe's that ran under WinXP without a problem they did basically the same thing as what ScummVM does also their is a talkie version of DOTT which means they added voices to the text in the game this should be the most common version still floating around but just be aware if you see one marked as non-talkie)

The reason they are so hard to find is Lucasarts went though several changes of management after the end of what some call the golden era and never really got back their form due to the exodus of the talent though they are in better shape these days but they severed ties with the “old Lucasarts” image and don’t even list some of the many classic games they created on their website anymore even under the “classics" section.

Be also on the look out for the following as other classic adventure games if you haven’t played them.
    Loom
    Sam & Max Hit the Road
    Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
    The Dig

Mixnmojo contains a full list of all their games good & bad over the years plus some of the games from the people who departed Lucasarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'd like to strongly second Psychonauts. I absolutely love this game.

If you liked any of Schafer's Lucasarts adventure games you should be loving it. More wit, flair and imagination in a single level than most games combined.

You will need a gamepad for it though. My cheapo ps2 rip off one works great with it.

Indigo Prohpecy is a very good game as well. Kind of loses it's way in the final third imo though. Well worth playing though. Again I'd recommend a gamepad, just for the stupid minigames though. I played through the "simon says" parts on a keyboard and it was quite difficult.

I wouldn't go spending 50 spoons on Grim Fandango, as much as I love the game. Try direct 2 drive or one of those places, they might have it. If not, I'll have a root around for it.

thanks for the advice lads--i ordered farenheit yesterday off play

you learn something new everyday--direct to drive!!class!!!! definitely the website for me as i usually cant be bothered driving anywhere to get a new game when i get the urge!!

pity theres so few games on it though

• Advertisement
Advertisement