Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 Inches of Snow Expected.....(not here)

Options
  • 11-02-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

......In North Eastern USA :(:(:( No fair!

Developing Nor'easter Heads Up East Coast

Saturday February 11, 2006 9:31 PM

AP Photo TNGC103

By MATTHEW VERRINDER

Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A developing nor'easter headed up the East Coast on Saturday with a threat of heavy snow, canceling flights and putting road crews on overtime but cheering up skiers in a region spared harsh weather for most of this season.

Blizzard warnings were posted from the New York City area into eastern New England, where up to 15 inches of snow was possible, and a winter storm warning was issued for most of New Jersey, the National Weather Service said. Heavy snow warnings were in effect from eastern Kentucky to southeastern New York state.

Delta Air Lines said it was canceling its Sunday arrivals and departures at several airports in the storm's path, including those in New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Newark, N.J.; Providence, R.I.; Washington, D.C. and Hartford, Conn.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation had 600 trucks ready to plow snow and spread salt, plus 1,100 contractor trucks, the department said. The department also had its regular maintenance staff of 735 employees, plus more than 400 other state employees, available to operate plows.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had more than 160 pieces of heavy snow equipment at the New York region's Newark, Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

In Connecticut, forecasters predicted up to 12 inches of snow, with the highest totals along the shoreline. Snow was expected to start Saturday evening and become heavy after midnight before tapering off Sunday afternoon.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I steped out the back door this morning (new york) and it was up past my knee. It's mental. Never seen anything like it and its still coming down goodo. You can't see cars on the street as some have walls of snow on the footpaths from the snowplows. Looks like my flight is going no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Does Ireland not "Sometimes" get the cold snap for NY / Washington ? I thought it did ??

(ie, hoping for two feet snow drifts near me ASAP !!)

Peeman

No Never

They ended up with 27 inches in central park-thats a new record
    2 feet 3 inches and to think some of us get excited about the 3 inches bit.

I was there during the tail end of the storm they had in jan 2 years ago and it was an impressive site.There was about 18" that tiem and it was all piled up on the sidewalks as they cleared the roads-maybe 8ft high.

The snow in Central park was class-knee deep!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its questionable whether this really has been the highest fall..

The snow looks alot less than 27 inches and many New Yorkers agree..

I'd say apart from measuring in a peaky drift they got 20 inches.

Next week see's a similar system move by but this time Frigid temperatures
    will push in with maxima of -15c in New York in 7 days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Any chance of Ireland seeing a bit of snow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

We will get the same front here but by the time it covers the atlantic it will only fall as rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Chief--- wrote:
    We will get the same front here but by the time it covers the atlantic it will only fall as rain.

That is just typical. Thanks for your reply. We must be due a heavy bit of snow soon, are we:rolleyes: ?

Advertisement