Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB/DSL sync problems

• 12-02-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of BB can help with this one.

My phoneline (Huntstown area) was activated for BB on Wednesday last.

Tried to connect on Thursday using an oldish Netgear DG814. Could not get sync at all. Realised after checking boards that Netgear may not be the best modem to use.

New wireless modem from utv arrived on Friday. Set up using filters etc. Still no sync. Rang utv helpline, at which point sync was established. Hung up and sync disappeared again.

While on a call you can hear crosstalk with the modem, but sync is established. When the call is hung up, sync is lost.

utv reckon its probably a problem with the phoneline. If this is the case, how come I can get sync when a call is active.

I do have a DECT phone, which I know can cause issues, but I have unplugged it to no avail. I have also tried changing filters, switching extensions and swapping cables. Nothing is working.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Try plugging the modem into the phone line directly without the filters, also plug out all phones and see if the sync light comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

thanks dingding - been through all that already. starting to think its a line issue.

no apparent static or anything on the line, but somethings not right.

i have sync now, but the phone is active too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

fdevine wrote:
    thanks dingding - been through all that already. starting to think its a line issue.

no apparent static or anything on the line, but somethings not right.

i have sync now, but the phone is active too.....

Dont have any other ideas, must be the line, I had a problem with the 2 way splitter on my line, the one that had the phone and dsl on it. it was this I removed to get it working. Keep on to the technical support. Are you far form the telephone exchange ???

I could be on the limit of distance from the exchange, I dont really know.

Im in Huntstown, close enough to the Blanch Shopping Centre, and I think there's an exchange there, so I shouldnt be that far.

Will log a call to the eircom engineers to check it out.

Might try removing the split in the main line that feeds the phone extensions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Using UTV's modem, what's the noise margin and line attenuation? You will need to sync to find these out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Are you positive you unplugged everything except the modem? Happened to me before that I completely forgot about the sky box. Anything that is plugged in including a sky box, needs to have a filter on it.

These mean nothing to me - but these are the figures.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 800 Kbps 256 Kbps
    Noise Margin 7.6 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 54.0 dB 30.5 dB
    Output Power 15.8 dBm -0.2 dBm

Had some extra extensions wired when the house was built, but disconnected these today. Same issue. Worse syncing, if anything.

I can get sync when there is an active call on the phone, otherwise nothing...

Nothing but the main line now, no sky box....nothing.....

You don't have a great line, but whether you use the phone or not shouldn't affect it. Strange.

The line has never been great, but as was posted elsewhere, I should be getting sync at some point.

I have crosstalk on the line. If I place a call, sync is acheived (can take a while) but I can hear the modem on the line.

I'm presuming that this isn't normal, which leads me to think its an eircom line issue.

You shouldn't be able to hear the modem, obviously. That would indicate a filter problem I would guess. But you've tried without the filter, so it's not the problem. I would consider internal wiring issues in the house, in addition to hassling eircom about their end.

• Advertisement

I have tried both the filters provided and a netgear filter i have as well.

Obviously I cant check for crosstalk when the modem is directly plugged in, but I dont get sync.

I have redone the wiring at the point where it comes into the house.

Might have a go at the eircom master socket tonight......

OK, sync has been established. Still crosstalk on the line though.

Rewired the master socket this evening (looked like a butcher wired it). Tried a direct plug-in - got sync. Tried several filters, and now seem to be syncing well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Funny enough - I'm in Huntstown and had terrible experience with DSL.
    Couldn't get the DSL light to come on on the modem. No amount of line tests would show what the issue was.

After one evening of near faultless syncing, the gremlins are back.

Guess I need to keep chasing utv and hope that they can nail eircom down.

Without warning an eircom engineer arrived at the house this afternoon.

After running a few checks he tells me that the line is showing a 'FAIL' at the house.

He is now going to the exchange to look at it from that end.

Does anyone know where I stand if the line can't be fixed? Considering I am now under contract with UTV........

apparently the line is OK at the exchange and is OK at the entry to our estate.

engineer is assuming that the problem is with the wiring on the way to the house.

has put it down to be checked next week. fingers crossed.

An eircom engineer showed up to sort out your line? Play the lotto.

Surprised me too. Will call into the newsagents on the way home...LOL

Advertisement