Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Side Of The Moon

• 12-02-2006 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Was last night's featured 'Classic Album' on the BBC series of documentaries. Sure many of you saw it. The programme rekindled my love for the album and I've listened to it the whole way through about a dozen times since, and every time feels like a revelation. It's a masterpiece. I'm not even sure what the point of starting this thread is, I just have so much enthusiasm and don't know what to do with it. Any other afficionados about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I know what you mean. Its a fantastic album but sometimes I feel you really have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Amazing album, I thing you either love it our hate it, best floyd album imo.

And theres the weird sync with wizard of oz, spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

never tried that tbh but i've been meaning too. I suppose its best watched with a large quantity of your favourite illegal substance to help the synchronisation ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Definitely have to be in the mood for it. Pure genius though.
    I highly recommend to anyone... go see Australian Pink Floyd in the Point in March. Almost as good as seeing Floyd themselves (not that I ever have. Yet?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

c - 13 wrote:
    never tried that tbh but i've been meaning too. I suppose its best watched with a large quantity of your favourite illegal substance to help the synchronisation ?:D

Oh hell yeah, otherwise it doesn't work! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I wish I could have been around when it was new and fresh and could relate to the disaffection of the generation and all that.
    Doesn't it contain the best guitar solo (Time), vocal solo (Great Gig In The Sky), and Bassline (Money) in the world? It's got much going for it. Wow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

kc66 wrote:
    Definitely have to be in the mood for it. Pure genius though.
    I highly recommend to anyone... go see Australian Pink Floyd in the Point in March. Almost as good as seeing Floyd themselves (not that I ever have. Yet?)
    oh live8 how i loved being at you!

Doesn't it contain the best guitar solo (Time), vocal solo (Great Gig In The Sky), and Bassline (Money) in the world? It's got much going for it. Wow...
    I agree except for Time. Surely Comfortably Numb's solo is better? Particularly on the live version on Delicate sound of thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

comfortably numb solo is better for sure :D . i like their last album, division bell even more than dsoftm, it has more depth if u look for it. and whats better than listening to piper with a big smelly one cookin;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

kyp_durron wrote:
    Oh hell yeah, otherwise it doesn't work! ;)
    There's are maybe five or six times where it works freakishly well, but otherwise it's all a bit subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Time has the best lyrics Waters ever wrote for my money and impressive given he was still in his twenites and writing about something that tends to hit home only as you get older.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Aye its a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

****, i would have liked to see that program. DSOTM is one of my favourite albums, its an absolute masterpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Having listened to the album countless times, I often find myself fast forwarding through the "non musical" bits at the start. This is one thing that really annoys me. In my opinion the cd wouldn't be hailed as such a great masterpiece without the stand out track Money either. The start of Time is completely unnecessary too.

Animals and The Wall don't disappoint however. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

^not if you're a fan of the Dark Side of Oz; then they're pretty ****in essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I like Dark Side of the Moon and all but it's a bit overrated. Meddle is a far superior album in my opinion. In any case, Pink Floyd have always been a poor man's Can to me. If you like Pink Floyd, especially their weirder stuff, I highly suggest Soundtracks and Tago Mago by Can.

*digs out signed copy of Tago Mago* ah yes, time to freak out!

John2 wrote:
    In any case, Pink Floyd have always been a poor man's Can to me.

Was reading about Can on wikipedia and it claims Can's vocalist was influenced by Pink Floyd. So "poor man's" is definitely the wrong phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I stand by what I said (in any case there are many artists who take inspiration from others and better them).

And it depends which vocalist you're talking about. I just read what it said on wiki and I disagree. Mooney left Can around the same time Barrett left Pink Floyd. Mooney was living in the arsehole of Germany, I don't think that Syd Barrett could have been that much of an influence. Equally the VU reference is a bit odd. In any case, Damo Suzuki is a far better vocalist and suited Can a lot more. He was the vocalist on Tago Mago and on most of Soundtracks. He improvised all of the vocals (indeed much of Can's best output was improvised). Listen to them and then decide if I was right in calling Pink Floyd a poor man's Can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

JoeyD wrote:
    Having listened to the album countless times, I often find myself fast forwarding through the "non musical" bits at the start. This is one thing that really annoys me. In my opinion the cd wouldn't be hailed as such a great masterpiece without the stand out track Money either. The start of Time is completely unnecessary too.

Tend to disagree with you on that one. What you have to remember is that on Dark Side, particularly on tracks like On The Run - which is purely synth and samples - these were musically groundbreaking. What nowadays may sound like a forgettable piece of synth babble was acutely innovative in '73. Using synths, as a lead instrument in any case, was unheard of. Nobody had done it, it was so progressive and off the wall at the time. Just one of the multitudinous gifts The Floyd gave to modern music.
    Having said all this, I still like to listen to the "non musical" bits just because of the sheer head-trippy soundscape thing going on, but that's just a subjective thing.

The term "poor man's" would imply that they are a pale imitation, in my understanding. Impossible that Floyd are an imitation of Can seeing as they were around before them.

Had to laugh at the 20 min song edited down from 6 hours. Must get my hands on some of their stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Apparentely a reggae act (name escapes me) recorded a reggae version of the entire Dark Side Of The Moon album. Its called Dub Side Of The Moon. Only heard snippets but it was good stuff!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Was last night's featured 'Classic Album' on the BBC series of documentaries. Sure many of you saw it. The programme rekindled my love for the album and I've listened to it the whole way through about a dozen times since, and every time feels like a revelation. It's a masterpiece. I'm not even sure what the point of starting this thread is, I just have so much enthusiasm and don't know what to do with it. Any other afficionados about?

I felt exactly the same. I hadn't listened to it in months. It was almost like hearing it for the first time again. God I love pink floyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

God I love pink floyd.

I only remembered my signature after I wrote that...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

JoeyD wrote:

Animals and The Wall don't disappoint however. :eek:

The 'non musical bits' you have to appreciate tho, are things that no other band was doing at the time. And the floyd were always about experimentation, from piper right up to dark side. Thier music was always pretty out there, tbh i think Dark side onwards they got a bit more 'conservative' with thier music (more normal music, i guess) and less experimental, but thats just me. I still think all thier best work was before Dark side, and the wall is a roger waters **** fest with a few good tracks on it. But everything after he left isnt 'real' floyd imo either. Division bell was average at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paulmartin

I don't know what the big deal about Dark Side Of The Moon Is. There are some really bad songs - Us And Them is the most boring song ever. Lyrically the album is good, Money is a good song and Time has a good guitar solo but apart from that pretty boring. Well, obviously that's just me but anyway...

Back to rock school with you!

Mike.

Us and them is one of my favourite Pink Floyd Songs. I dont think its boring- starts off slow but it livens up

Just cos its got a slow deliberate (contemplative) tempo that does'nt mean its bad.

Mike.

Advertisement