Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I ugly?

• 12-02-2006 4:34am

I wanted to ask this for a long time but always assumed the mods would think it was a joke or something. But now I feel I have to.

I've attached a pic of myself. Am I unattractive? I'm asking because I've had several people tell me I'm ugly, the latest was just today. I asked a girl if she wanted to chat and she said "no, coz you're ugly". As a result of this feeling I seem to think that all the girls I ever liked would have no interest in me. I've never had a girlfriend either, at least not a real one.

I just can't stop taking negative comments on board, it was always the way with me.

I'm not sure there's any advice that anyone could give, but I think I just wanted to say this and let it out. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

of course your not ugly, and to be honest that girl you were talking to sound like she was as shallow as hell so best to keep clear of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

yup :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lizbeth

aw that's mean... anyone who would tell someone they're too ugly to talk to is actually not worth speaking to. But why does it keep happening to him? I've never known anyone who would actually say that to someone.

Mean People Suck.

I still wonder anyone would say that to him, he's not bad looking n that photo...
    Course, maybe the poor guy just needs his ego stroked a bit...
    *strokestroke*

lizbeth wrote:
    Course, maybe the poor guy just needs his ego stroked a bit...
    *strokestroke*
    Hi, honestly I don't, and I don't want anyone to assume that its the case. I guess I'm just frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭jimbono1

man dont listen to some bitches, i look at you and i think sound guy, **** a bitch that tells you to your face your ugly, I meam what the hell. I always stick up for irish girls but ivve been out tonight and damn therwe are some reral iriosh bitches, I really forgot how bad they can be . I dont know what it is with some of them but they think the world owes them a favore asnd some are so bitter, saying that there are really sound irish girls. the way you look is not a barrier at all. i dont think your fukin tom cruise but i dont think your ugky at all. you just look normal keep ttrying theres nothing really qwwrong with you apart from bad skin, keep trying be nice and smile, then youll attract the gooduns. i worry the way this countrys going, girls of ireland please learn to smile and learn that no ne owes you a favour, sorry bad night with the ladies i donty wanna rant but irish girls can be as cold as ice sometimess, tere was a nice lationo girl tonight with none of that attitude, i can now see why irish guys are gioing for foreign girls. jesus this world scares me, but dude listen your not ugly. just be nice and ask the doctor bout your skin man. be cool and good luck, taytos are still the best crisps remember thast

• Advertisement

I know my skin could be better alright. Even my hands feel rough, always assumed it was because I sometimes wire cables all day, my hands feel raw after work.

My self esteem is non existant. I absolutely despise myself. I want to live a normal life but can't as I don't understand other people (I'm slightly autistic). I never know what to say and get really anxious when talking to people my own age, especially girls. People often say they don't bite but I don't believe that anymore. I also take a lot of things very seriously (such as being called ugly and other negative remarks I guess).
    I've often thought about suicide but the only thing that keeps me going is that I know that the pain and suffering my family will have to endure will live on long after I'm gone. So I don't want to be that selfish to them.

But I don't really know what to do with myself, I just feel terrible. Thanks again for reading all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

hey mate dont beat yourself about it. I was expecting a hideous photo by the discription that you gave. Dont listen to what some woman tells you especially online. Your far from ugly mate. Try to talk to someone about how you are feeling.Do you have a close family member to confide in? Try and sort yourself out first before worrying about women.

Also dont worry about your skin, if so then go to the doctor asap. Its not all bad. Your the spit for my future brother in law when he was your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lizbeth

ok, theres a world of difference between your first post and the last one you made... the first one is 'woe is me', the last one makes me think you should probably take this from boards to a professional for help. I think if you've got autism and other issues, you need more help than anyone on a forum can give you. I am not trying to be mean, by the way, just honest.

i missed the slighly autistic bit. Have you been diagnosed slighly autistic or do you just think that you may be.

galwaydude wrote:
    i missed the slighly autistic bit. Have you been diagnosed slighly austistic or do you just think that you may be.
    No diagnosis yet but its suspected by a counsellor, doctor and my aunt (who studies psychology) that its Asperger's Syndrome. I'm supposed to be seeing a clinical psychologist soon to verify this, just have no date yet.

I looked at the details online and after seeing the info I feel certain inside that its true, the signs match me perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Karsini wrote:
    I know my skin could be better alright. Even my hands feel rough, always assumed it was because I sometimes wire cables all day, my hands feel raw after work.

My self esteem is non existant. I absolutely despise myself. I want to live a normal life but can't as I don't understand other people (I'm slightly autistic). I never know what to say and get really anxious when talking to people my own age, especially girls. People often say they don't bite but I don't believe that anymore. I also take a lot of things very seriously (such as being called ugly and other negative remarks I guess).
    I've often thought about suicide but the only thing that keeps me going is that I know that the pain and suffering my family will have to endure will live on long after I'm gone. So I don't want to be that selfish to them.

But I don't really know what to do with myself, I just feel terrible. Thanks again for reading all this.

You're not ugly. Your features all seem to be proportionate which qualitfies you as not ugly.

But the above post lies at the crux of the matter. If you believe it - they'll believe it. Whatever you choose to believe about yourself is how others will see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not ugly , just very insecure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok, eh, without sounding gay... your skin needs a bit of care (get rid of the spots/get a better camera). Maybe try a different type of face wash, or none at all (I can use only water, myself, as any face wash I've tried causes spots). Also, a clean shave, or grow a smig, or something ill look better than a 6 o'clock shadow.

Other than that, ignore the cows. Some of them put people down to make themselves feel good, and some may not be looking (read: has a dude already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Whoever said that doesn't deserve any of your time or attention. What an absolute cow!!!!!!:mad: I'm no oil painting myself but if a girl said that to me I'd wouldn't hesitate to pore a drink over her. Some people are just so stuck up & shallow :mad:

Anyway dude, there's no need to feel down, you ain't an ugly guy at all. You've no reason to resort to suicide whatsoever. We've all questioned our own appearance at some time, no matter how good or bad we look. It just seems that you're a bit insecure & just to let you know, we've all got our own little insecurities.

Go with what Daisy said, if you believe it then they'll believe it. Walk around with your shoulders back,chest out and chin up, you've no reason to do otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Karsini, absolutely not!

I definitely think that you deserve a hug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Karsini wrote:
    II asked a girl if she wanted to chat and she said "no, coz you're ugly".
    Women expect men to do all the chasing, yet come out with shít like that.
    If I said that to a girl who came up to me, I'd have all her bloke friends coming over giving me grief about it... "Oooh she's off crying now and won't come out of the toilets... you bastard"... nobody seems to give a shít when it's a guy on the recieving end though.

And no, I wouldn't say you were ugly, not at all... you just have to fix some of the little things women are so fickle about... skin, hair, clothes, attitude... IMO 50% is how you use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've attached a pic of myself. Am I unattractive? I'm asking because I've had several people tell me I'm ugly, the latest was just today. I asked a girl if she wanted to chat and she said "no, coz you're ugly". As a result of this feeling I seem to think that all the girls I ever liked would have no interest in me. I've never had a girlfriend either, at least not a real one.

Evidently you've been talking to idiots. Alas there is nothing we can do about that. Of course, comments like that compounded with what seems like an already low sense of self-esteem really can smart. Remember though, that the comments of a few people made in a world made up out of billions mean f*ck all really.

As for your skin - get handcream for your hands if they are chapped/rough. Neutrogena do good stuff. As for the your face try some new stuff for your face (if you feel self concious about it), find which wash works and if that doesn't, go to your doctor and talk about it. You might be surprised what can be done.

The problem with low self-esteem is that you're the only person who can rebuild it. With the best will in the world, others can only reassure you - but you have to begin to believe it before you feel better. Hopefully this thread will help you get to a point where you will start believing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Karsini wrote:
    No diagnosis yet but its suspected by a counsellor, doctor and my aunt (who studies psychology) that its Asperger's Syndrome. I'm supposed to be seeing a clinical psychologist soon to verify this, just have no date yet.

I looked at the details online and after seeing the info I feel certain inside that its true, the signs match me perfectly.

Disability doesnt make you ugly, I have cerebral palsy and some of the comments i recieved from girls, where the worst I ever recieved. Until I met my wife who was prepared to see beyond the shell, and she is the best thing ever happened me forget what some girls say or do cause ultimitly if they judge a book by its cover they are the ones that end up in sh1t relationships just cause you look like Brad Pitt, doesnt mean your gonna be a perfect partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think you're ugly, no.

If you're concerned about it, you could change your look -- grow a beard, grow long hair, shave your head, whatever...

But for someone who's worried that they look ugly to the point that they'd post this, I think you're fairly un-ugly!

Try not to take everything to heart man. Everyone isn't gonna think that you're gorgeous, just like everyone isn't going to think that I'm a good musician, or that George Carlin is funny (idiots); if one person says that you're ugly, then you can take it for granted that there's another person who thinks you're attractive, just you mightn't know them!

People have different preferences, as I'm sure you do, and not everyone is gonna think you're good-looking.

I don't think that your lack of girlfriend stems from your looks (as I say I think you're good-looking [although I wouldn't do ye... cos I'm straight :o]), but rather from your low self-esteem.

Just accept that and stop obsessing about your looks, and work on the real problem.

Good luck to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Dude, no you're not ugly.

That girl you were talking to is a complete c*nt, dont take on board her opinions, they're 10 a penny on this planet.

Rest assured that girl has plenty of issues too, if she cant have a chat with someone without evaluating their looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Karsini wrote:
    I've never had a girlfriend either, at least not a real one.

Imaginary girlfriends rock!! :v:

Even if you were a mutated midget, there'd be someone out there who'd be attracted to you (might be more difficult to find though)

Like your girlfriend, i think you have an over active imagination, and i don't think people are saying you're ugly.

Oh,and don't ask girls for permission to chat...just start chatting.

And no, you're not ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Karsini wrote:
    I asked a girl if she wanted to chat and she said "no, coz you're ugly". .
    First, no I wouldn't of said that you are ugly.

Second, did you know the girl, apart from been a bitch there is any reason why she might of said it,maybe she wanted to look big infront of friends, amybe she was joking, although generally been a bitch would be the biggest reason.

In a constructive way, maybe talk to a fwe people about changing your image. Next time you go to a hair dresser, instead of telling them what you want, ask them what they think will suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

hey karsini your definatly not ugly.
    but u do need to get professional help.
    ive posted on one of your previous threads and i think you have deeper issues than just your looks.
    try to be kinder to yourself.
    try and learn to be confident but start by accepting yourself as who you are.
    your not a bad person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

DaveMcG wrote:
    I don't think that your lack of girlfriend stems from your looks

I think this is very true!

You'd be surprised how irrelevant looks are to even the prettiest of girls. Personality is more important tbh, its confidence in yourself that shows your true colours.

Some girls can be b!tches, please ignore them because its definately NOT true! Often it can be them trying to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities.

You have brown eyes and a sallow complexion, that puts you closer to the other end of the scale IMHO! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

mate, i'd be the first to tell you your ugly. your not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

You are in no way ugly in fact you are quite a handsome fella!

I think that this roots from something totally unrelated to your looks because you look just fine ok? I'm being honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You've a nice face and lovely eyes. I don't think your looks is the actual issue here though hon, go and talk to someone, sounds like your self-esteem isn't the best at the moment (btw, caustic bitches that call you ugly should be given a wide berth, what a little bitch :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

feck sake man, all you need is a confidence boost - you sound completely depressed to me,do something about than NOW! life is too short to waste and it's a damn shame to hear you talking about suicide - you just need to experience some distractions from your problems. go the anti depressant route if you need to and then i prescribe some online dating... nothing more uplifting than getting ready for yet another first date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think you're pretty hot! Definitely not ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I know whats its like to be told to your face that your ugly by a girl! Its horrible and destroys your self confidence!

You are definietly not an ugly person!

What you are is a BETTER person than that stuck up, worthless piece of tart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.phelo

heya! as an irish girl i can honestly say that we're not all b*****s !that girl was obviously one of the bad ones!there are nice poeple and there are not so nice people in every walk of life.so please dont paint all irish girls with the same brush!sometimes we feel like that about irish fellas.

we all have our bad days and some have more bad days than others.the main thing is having someone to talk to and to help you through them.i know your probably sick of hearing "its whats on the inside that counts", but it is true .and to answer your question NO YOUR NOT UGLY ! keep your head up!

here here as i said in my pm, all you lack is confidence in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

Karsini wrote:
    I asked a girl if she wanted to chat and she said "no, coz you're ugly".

oh good god! some people are just pure evil, no u are not ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Gunshot

Karsini wrote:
    I wanted to ask this for a long time but always assumed the mods would think it was a joke or something. But now I feel I have to.

I just can't stop taking negative comments on board, it was always the way with me.

I'm not sure there's any advice that anyone could give, but I think I just wanted to say this and let it out. Thanks for reading.

dude ur grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Defo not ugly. Quite hansome really. Sounds like the girl you were talking to is some combination of a twit and blind.
    Looks aren't everything though - a lot of the the time confidence and self esteem are a lot more important than conventional good looks. I think you need to work on your self worth. If you don't feel good about yourself other people can pick up on this and not feel good about you either. Anyhoo, good luck! Hugs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I thought I was gonna see someone who looks kinda weird and then say something like, "Nah, your not ugly, trust me," but now I feel completely comfortable in saying that you sir, are not ugly at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

In fact, I would venture that not only are you not ugly, you have an extremely kind, gentle look about you, and a lot of women (bar the likes of that silly little cúnt) would — believe it or not — find that more important than a Tom Cruise GI jaw and bum-chin. Cheer up, man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my girlfriend thinks you're gorgeous!

(although she might have really bad taste!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

THAT WASN'T ME!! I never even knew about this site and did you notice the date of the post? It's AFTER this one. (Feb 12, 2006: 16:08, less than an hour ago)

That does little to comfort me.

I feel scared now, someone stole my picture. And I can't reply because I have to pay to join that site.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, I'll let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

I dont usually venture in here, but i saw this thread on the main page, and the title "Am I Ugly?" - so i thought i'd pop in and have a look!

Then i read the post, didnt know what to expect, and as someone else said, thought i'd have to lie and say "no... you're not ugly!"...

But then i opened the picture, and i can actually say i went "aaw" when i saw it..
    Theres a beauitiful sense of vulnerability that comes through in that picture..

then i read through all the comments, and again what you said, and i agree with another girl, i just wanna hug you and make you feel loved!

So no, you are in now way ugly :)
    i cant believe anyone said that... i hate people like that...

I really hope everythigns works out well for you - get some help though is my best advice.
    x

Giblet wrote:
    Don't worry, I'll let them know.
    Thanks Giblet, I owe you one.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for their nice comments, its made me feel better (at least for the time being anyway)

Well the thread has been gassed, and oeNeo given a nice custom title :) Nice waste of ten dollars.

I know the pic isn't exactly the best but I took it on my Nokia 6680 phone (and anyone with one will know that its rubbish in artificial light). And I usually wear glasses too. I once took an eye test for contacts but couldn't get them in, lol.

I'm already on 40mg antidepressants but I'm not sure its working, I don't think I should be feeling that way if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Ok establised this guy is not ugly, can we stop stroking his ego and move on.

Just a quick question regarding skin treatment, what should I use? Is it something like E45 I should be looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Karsini wrote:
    Just a quick question regarding skin treatment, what should I use? Is it something like E45 I should be looking at?

Looking at that photo you have a neck rash (shaving rash?)
    That's about it, as you said your phonecam is shít (same as mine)

Relax man, build your self-esteem, nothing outwardly wrong with you, look after your mind man.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Karsini wrote:

yeah i got non professional diagonsed with this as well, i blame my poor spelling on it, and i don't really understand people either, but i think thats the same for everybody to some degree, but i'm also good at lateral thinking and analysisng stuff, and i reckon it has some thing to the aspergers, so its not too bad really.
    the spots will go away, but a good dermotologist will make them go faster for a price.
    and you look fine, and anyone who tells anyone they are ugly in these beauty obsessed times (Media created obsession), is a remarkable bollix and is not worth bothering about it.
    good luck
    redz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

paste for those of us who are too cheap to pay for SA please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement