Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Centre

• 12-02-2006 7:52am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

have a self build mce machine and want to know about "wake on Lan" - idea is to remotely connect to my mce from work etc.

Has anyone tried this or have any links to it.
    Tried Green Button and didn't have any luck.

Am going to try out S3 standby today to see if that works.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I don't have a perfect solution for you but I'll tell you how I have mine setup.

I have 3 PC's at home one which is used for general use by the parents then another I use for downloading and another which is basically an mce machine. The main PC is always on so I use LOGMEIN.com to connect to that machine then I use a wake on lan command on that computer to turn on the other two machines which are also setup for logmein.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Karl,

I've got a self build MCE machine aswell and S3 standby and wake-on-lan is next on my list of things to get sorted when I have a bit of time.

I have WebGuide3 up and running, which is probably what you are referring to for web access (i.e. control guide remotely), but its not much use if you have to leave the PC on the whole time.

There is a monster thread on thegreenbutton about this but its a bit overwhelming - I'm gonna try hunt down some simple overview of whats needed before I get into that. I'll post back if I find something, and if you do likewise we should get it sorted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

am going to play today with this S3 - based on threads from TGB.

theres a lot to take into consideration :eek:

got it to go into S3 mode today but out of S3.

have to try a few things today

will get back to you on it.

So, got S3 working on the media centre.
    It powers down fully now with only the ram live -so it can track time for a recording etc.

So when I power up the system with the remote it all comes alive but the remote stops working !!!!
    I can go theu the menues with the mouse but not the remote ,

anyone any ideas,

thx
    Karl.

Just to post an update.
    The problem as below is now fixed.
    The reason the remote was not working after S3 power up - was that it was connected thru a front usb port.
    The reason it was in the front was the media pc was beside my other pc and it was the handiest option.

The media pc now powers down fully -fans incl -only the ram has power.
    When I hit the power button on the remote it awakens and fully comes to life with remote working and wireless connection.

got the fic from www.xpmce.com

next - wake on lan :):)
    thx

karltimber wrote:
    So, got S3 working on the media centre.
    It powers down fully now with only the ram live -so it can track time for a recording etc.

So when I power up the system with the remote it all comes alive but the remote stops working !!!!
    I can go theu the menues with the mouse but not the remote ,

anyone any ideas,

thx
    Karl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement