Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register as Sole Trader

Options
  • 12-02-2006 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what are the procedures for registering as a Sole Trader?i.e. are there any forms I need to fill in......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

www.cro.ie is a good place to start, though a little difficult to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

No the CRO is for Companies

Print off a TR1 - Tax Registration Form from www.revenue.ie or pick one up from your local tax office and fill it in and thats it.

Prepare Accounts for a sole trader from the date of trading ie March 06 to December 06 and the profits for this period will be basis for your 2007 tax return in Oct 2007.

If you want to register as a limited company then have a look at the CRO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sorry, I thought I'd seen a registration form for Sole Trader on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you wish to trade as anything other than your given name, then you will need to register a business name with the CRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CathyK

Hello

I am a sole trader and registered my company name with the CRO for 30 euro, they in turn send you a cert of registration, I found that I need this for a lot of different things, including revenue. It is a very simple process, check out www.cro.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kluivert wrote:
    No the CRO is for Companies

And also for registering Business names, which you might do as a sole trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sorry i was reading the question. How to register as a sole trader.

OK full answer.

In order to register as a sole trader you must and register a trade name you must:

1. Fill in a TR1 for the Revenue.

2. Register a Business Name with the CRO.

You must register a business name with the CRO if the trade name differs from your true name. Ie if the trade name does not include your first name or surname name.

You should note that registration of a business name:

Does not give protection against duplication of the name;

Does not imply that the name will necessarily prove acceptable subsequently as a company name;

Doesnot authorise the use of the name if its use could be prohibited for other reasons. It should not for instance be taken as an indication that no rights (e.g. trade marks rights) exist in the name

Cost is €40 paper form or €20 electronically

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Thanks everyone for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

you can also register a company, single member company. assuming it's a small business and meet the conditions, you don't have to prepare audited accounts. u only need another person to be a director and sign the unaudited accounts. again, a company director job comes with responsibilities.

Advertisement