Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Equipment Cabinets

• 12-02-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just woindering if anyone else here uses a wooden cabinet like this to store their equipment??

I plan on having a Plasma media box, DVD player, AMP, Xbox 360, Sky+ box and a normal Sky Box for UK digi card in the cabinet. Any ideas where I can get one?? I have looked everywhere but the ones I have seen are not deep enough. The Amp is 46cm deep so would need the cabinet to be 50cm deep!!

I have posted in the Woodcraft section of boards to see if anyone there could perhaps build me one, but if anyone else has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

mate I will build it for you no problem at all! Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

mate I will build it for you no problem at all! Where are you based?

Not wishing to put you on the spot but roughly how much would an AV cabinet like this cost???????

:confused:

it would depend on how you would like it built? Solid wood all the way through or mdf?!

it would depend on how you would like it built? Solid wood all the way through or mdf?!

Price for both options......

lets say we make if out of solid pine all the way through €400. mdf veneered €300. Both options would include a clear finish! It would really depend on the timber you would like to use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I'd be interested in one also. What kind of price would you charge for something similar to the cd storage rack on the wall as well??

150 in solid pine or 100 in mdf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

let me get back to you. Are you based in Galway ??

ya im based in galway. I'm ready to make it as soon as you want! I can start making it tomorrow if you wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Jeez lads, talk about hijacking a thread:D

I'd be interested, but I thought the one in the picture was more of an oak then a pine?? Then again I aint all that up on my wood!!

Would you be able to build something in a solid oak with silver handles for the €300-€400 mark??

Do you have examples of your work which I could see?? Not that I doubt your carpentry skills, but I have an image of Homer Simpsons spice rack in my head:)

By the way I am based in Clarehall, Dublin 13 - just off the M50/M1 roundabout. Would you still be interested??

I also want a DVD storage rack(s), something to hold 500-600 DVDs. But I dont really know what I want yet. Maybe you'd have some ideas??

Cheers

Branners

• Advertisement

ya I could build you one for say 450 and the cd rack in solid oak about 250ish! id be interested in it all right!

ya im based in galway. I'm ready to make it as soon as you want! I can start making it tomorrow if you wanted!

Some examples of your work would be of benefit. In the process of moving home and will definately be looking for an AV Rack and DVD storage later on in the year.

comming up!

ya I could build you one for say 450 and the cd rack in solid oak about 250ish! id be interested in it all right!

Would that include delivery to Dublin??

Any chance of some sample pics?? Have you ever built something for someone off boards before??

delivery at your own cost! Havent built anything for anyone on boards before. I'm just looking for digi camera and u can see my work!

delivery at your own cost! Havent built anything for anyone on boards before. I'm just looking for digi camera and u can see my work!

I can arrrange a trip with work to Galway no bother for the pickup..

Am interested in seeing the pics..

Am goin off line now so will see pics and post back tomorrow..

By the way how long would something like this take you??

here

Well lads here some pictures for ye to look at!:) Those presses have to be finished off yet!

it would take about two weeks to draw up plans, get ur approval source timber and then make it! I can also draw up a 3d image of it for anyone interested in ether the cabinet or the cd rack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I also thought the original piece was in Red Oak... undecided whether it's veneered or solid oak... I've examined the picture quite carefully and haven't decided on how it's constructed yet... anyone care to guess?

In particular does it stand on four legs? or two sides?

If I had to guess I'd say it was solid oak and was quite expensive... €500 - €600. Mostly I think this because of the appearance from the front, the legs that extend to the floor are at least 40mm wide... it's unlikely these are veneered, most probably solid oak...

The back is also tongue and groove strips, not a solid piece as might be expected in a mass produced veneered piece...

I also make custom furniture in Pine, veneered MDF or solid timbers... My workshop is in Roundwood, Co. Wicklow if you're interested... website at http://www.eccabinets.com.

Cheers
    Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I'd make it for around €300 in pine, finished in a light oak stain and sprayed with lacquer... delivered somewhere in Wicklow/Dublin..

I wouldn't really take it on in veneered oak without some small design changes... in particular the legs...

Solid Oak would be expensive for me because there's only really a small quantity of oak required in different thicknesses... overall it wouldn't pay because of the waste and leftovers... I'd usually use a combination of solid timbers and veneered MDF... solid oak 3/4 inch 8' x 4' panels are available from Noyeks at about €130 each, seems expensive but compares quite well to rough sawn solid red oak at €80 per cubic foot from Morgans in Dublin...

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement