Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one? Upgraded but not at full speed

• 12-02-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm with BT and when the upgrade first happened, I came down that morning to find a wonderful 3mbit/384k connection and all was well. I'm not sure how long it lasted however, as ever since my router is reporting a connection of somewhere between 1504 and 1536 kbps down but 384 kbps up. This is obviously a worse download speed than when I was on 2mbit. It's consistent at least though, and I get my 150k/s down and maybe 36k/s up without any excessive disconnections etc. I'm using the netgear DG834G with the latest firmware.

I was hoping I could just wait it out and it would all be fixed, but nothing so far. I'm extremely hesitant to ever contact BT about anything, in case they decide to triple bill me or something for no reason. I don't want to go back to 2mbit/256k either as I love my upload and my cap, so if worst comes to worst I guess I'll stick with 1.5mbit, but it's irritating getting half my potential download speed. Am I the only one in this situation? Most other threads seem to have been about not being upgraded, or being constantly disconnected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

The service u have is rADSL - Rate Adaptive DSL

The upgrades switched ppl over to different cards in the exchanges.
    You are on a higher card (3MBit - 384KBit) .. if your line cannot do the full 3Mbit (usually due to noise on the line itself) it adapts and syncs down to a sustainable rate .. in your case 1500.

Your only option is to try remove any noise off your line that you might have control over .. i.e. cordless phones, line splitters, extension cables.

Try connecting the router to your main ph point with no other connections on the line. Check your speed then. If it is still 1500 then there is nothing in your premises that is causing any line noise. Its down to your exchange or a fault with the line. You can try calling them and asking them to check the line.
    Also check the line noise via your router.

If it's a Zyxel then its in the main page under Diagnostics -> ADSL Line ->> Downstream Noise Margin. Look for your relative noise occupation. That % number shows the percent of your 3MBit line that is just noise... in your case your looking for it to say around 50%.

Lemme know how you get on.
    ^pt^ wrote:
    I'm with BT and when the upgrade first happened, I came down that morning to find a wonderful 3mbit/384k connection and all was well. I'm not sure how long it lasted however, as ever since my router is reporting a connection of somewhere between 1504 and 1536 kbps down but 384 kbps up. This is obviously a worse download speed than when I was on 2mbit. It's consistent at least though, and I get my 150k/s down and maybe 36k/s up without any excessive disconnections etc. I'm using the netgear DG834G with the latest firmware.

I was hoping I could just wait it out and it would all be fixed, but nothing so far. I'm extremely hesitant to ever contact BT about anything, in case they decide to triple bill me or something for no reason. I don't want to go back to 2mbit/256k either as I love my upload and my cap, so if worst comes to worst I guess I'll stick with 1.5mbit, but it's irritating getting half my potential download speed. Am I the only one in this situation? Most other threads seem to have been about not being upgraded, or being constantly disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 salupa

I'm kinda in a similar situation as you, i get 384 upload, but my download is 2200-2800. I never seen 3072kbs on my modem since the upgrade.
    I persumed my line just couldnt handle 3m,but i would have taught it would it stablise somewhere but it doesnt.

salupa wrote:
    I'm kinda in a similar situation as you, i get 384 upload, but my download is 2200-2800. I never seen 3072kbs on my modem since the upgrade.
    I persumed my line just couldnt handle 3m,but i would have taught it would it stablise somewhere but it doesnt.

Because its Rate Adaptive it is constantly trying to find the perfect speed.
    Your router was at 2200 once.. This was probably during a time of high load.
    Thankfully the service is not always at the load so it checks the line and synced up a little more .. 2800. Personally i'd be glad it even syncs up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

Wheee :D After trying every combination, I'm back at 3072/384kbps! Thanks Diabolus!

Only question is, am I supposed to have a filter between the DSL line and the socket it's connected to? Because that's what seems to be causing the lower sync speed.

Situation was:
    upstairs - normal phone with filter
    downstairs - cordless phone with filter
    computer - seperate socket to the others, with router plugged into the dsl side of a phone/dsl filter

So the only change is removing that filter on the socket the router's plugged into. So far no problems, and full speed ahead.. but am I going to start getting disconnected when the phone rings or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Your not meant to have a filter between the modem and the wall socket. A splitter will have the modem side unfiltered and the phone side filtered. So if you are not using a phone off that socket - dont bother with a splitter and definitely dont use a filter.

• Advertisement

I guess I just never removed it when I took that phone away. Thanks! So happy, it's like getting the upgrade all over again...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Upgrades here as well.

Instead of 3072K/384K Im getting 3072K/288K :(

I appear to be the only person out of all these posts who has had problems with their upload and not their download....do you think it purely down to a bad line or could it be a problem with the exchange and setting 288K and not 384K as the upload?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I had a similar problem with my connection, was only getting 224k and occasionaly 256k. I upgraded the firmware on my router, then after a restart, I was up to the full 384k.

decob wrote:
    I had a similar problem with my connection, was only getting 224k and occasionaly 256k. I upgraded the firmware on my router, then after a restart, I was up to the full 384k.

I think I upgraded the firmware about 10months ago?
    Do you have a link to the version you updated to as I was getting annoyed over the last couple of weeks with no getting my full upload.
    I wouldnt be half as angry if the download was poor...but the upload is of far more importance to me.

What's the brand and model name of your router?

• Advertisement

The bog standard BT "Approved" Zyxel 623-T1 or so.

I

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I don't see any Zyxel firmware newer than 2003/04.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im still having awfull problems with my connection, I sync at 3072/384 all the time but the actual speeds im getting are dire most of the time, right now im getting 90% packet loss, pings around 300 to eircom and my actual speed is around 400k download, 320k upload, only after midnight does my connection improve and i get 2650k download and 320k upload with pings of 12 to eircom.

zuma wrote:
    do you think it purely down to a bad line or could it be a problem with the exchange and setting 288K and not 384K as the upload?

The cards in the exchange only do 128/256/384.
    If your speed is 3meg and u only get 288k then there is little that could be at fault with your exchange.

Don't forget ppl that there are lots of lines that just cannot do these speeds.
    It is after all Eircoms copper wire we rely on here.
    Gonzo wrote:
    right now im getting 90% packet loss, pings around 300 to eircom and my actual speed is around 400k download, 320k upload

d00d i'd ring them coz that sounds really bad.
    hate to ask but did u try what i mentioned above?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah my connection is plugged straight into the main socket, theres nothing else attached to it, my broadband has been flawless for 2 years and on Saturday 21st of January, the day of the upgrade it all went pear shaped, basically since that date im getting a really bad connection from about 5pm every Monday to Friday that lasts till about midnight then my connection is flawless from midnight till about 5pm the next day, on the weekends its bad all day on Saturdays and Sundays and only gets good after midnight.. its sounds like i have a really bad contention problem but its odd that it started on the day of the last upgrade and also my friend who lives 3 houses away from me on hte same exchange has none of these problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

lucky me always syncs at 3072/384kps and excellent pings
    but then again i live really close to the exchange less than a km:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I have been getting disconnected a lot recently so I just did a test with http://www.irishisptest.com and it came back as 40.6 kbps down and 324 kbps up. I am supposed to have 3Mb down with BT.

I took all the phones off the line and reset the router but with not much better results.

My relative capacity occupation for upstream is 45% and 95% for downstream.

Looks like I am going to have to call BT tomorrow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

zuma wrote:
    I think I upgraded the firmware about 10months ago?
    Do you have a link to the version you updated to as I was getting annoyed over the last couple of weeks with no getting my full upload.
    I wouldnt be half as angry if the download was poor...but the upload is of far more importance to me.

I've got a 3com router... so not much good to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I have smart telecom and can't get upload at all. All the speed tests are showing inconclusive... and I waiting long enough for it to arrive in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Cormic wrote:
    I have been getting disconnected a lot recently so I just did a test with http://www.irishisptest.com and it came back as 40.6 kbps down and 324 kbps up. I am supposed to have 3Mb down with BT.

I took all the phones off the line and reset the router but with not much better results.

My relative capacity occupation for upstream is 45% and 95% for downstream.

Looks like I am going to have to call BT tomorrow :(

After I posted this yesterday I reran the test and it is now running at 2.4 Mb down. Someone must be reading this forum :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

If you are with BT, log a call via their help page and let them know. I am with BB+ and did get 3mb down when they first upgrade. Speed went down to 2mb after a while. Told them and was fixed in 3 days. I am back to 3mb again :cool:

Advertisement