Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gyms in Cork?

Options
  • 12-02-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey folks,
    I've been looking around at some posts in this board about gym prices. Everyone talks about annual fees if you wanna join a gym. Is there any gym in Cork city with monthly payment? If so, could anyone tell me about its price?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I think the Mardyke have a pay-per-visit system. No idea how much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Leisureworld in Bishopstown is pay as you go. Its about €8 and that includes time in the pool. Good value, as it is a very good gym - clean, and if u bring headphine, you can watch TV while on the treadmill etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MarceFX

Thank you ppl :D
    About that "pay as you go" thing...wow, it's pretty expensive,isnt it? I'm used to paying a flat fee around 40 € a month in my city(still expensive).
    I hope I can find somethig like that in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Depends where in the City you are, there is the new place in Blackpool, something Planet, which is €59 per month peak, and €39 off peak (8.30am - 4.30pm). You pay your first and last month upfront, and is done by direct debit.

Ill be joining that place once my leg heals, as it is just around the corner from work.

Well,thanks gimmick.The thing is I still don't know where I'm gonna live yet.I'm getting to Cork in about 2 weeks.I think I'll get an apartment close to the city center.
    Toodles! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

riversedge is €49 a month.

I'm on the student maradyke for €140 for the year (can't go between 4 and 8 mon - thurs) and €189 full. Thats student rates. The pay as you go is €20 up front and €4/6 everytime I believe, which can be quite hefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

gimmick wrote:
    Depends where in the City you are, there is the new place in Blackpool, something Planet, which is €59 per month peak, and €39 off peak (8.30am - 4.30pm). You pay your first and last month upfront, and is done by direct debit.

Ill be joining that place once my leg heals, as it is just around the corner from work.

I've seen the planet place, I just didn't realise what it was! That sounds like reasonable value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

I'm in the Quality Hotel gym, the shandon Court one! Its practically in the city centre!! It's €80 a month direct debit for a couple. I think it's about €59 a month for one person....
    It's grand because it's never very busy and there's no posers there!!! :rolleyes: hehe..

The Quality Hotel gym sounds pretty good for me ;) I've got a question about the "couple" issue though...:D
    What does "couple" imply? It just means you both have to join the gym and pay together,right?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

No, you have to give each other tongue in front of the receptionist.

• Advertisement

yeah...that's what i wanted to know ;) I better pick a hot "partner" then!
    Hey you..c'mon! haha,I just didnt know if I'd have to stick to a schedule or activity together.It happens at my current gym in Spain ;)

When joining the gym as "couple", you can pick an activity within a range of them: body jam, spinning, aikido... and your partner has to pick the same one, got it?
    Arigatto!:cool:

BTW:Blitzkrieger, If you are a hottie (female) and wanna get an ugly man to join de gym...give me a shot ;) Hi!! ho!! let's gooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

with the Planet place in Blackpool does anyone know if you can pay as you go.... or is it membership only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

aster99 wrote: »
    with the Planet place in Blackpool does anyone know if you can pay as you go.... or is it membership only?

thread is 3 years old and some of those gyms mentioned are probably under water today...literally:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

no the planet is fine..Blackpool wasn't hit. so someone who uses it might be able to tell me what its like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Thinking about joining Planet in the new year. Anyone any comments or alternatives?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Thinking about joining Planet in the new year. Anyone any comments or alternatives?

Cheers

I was there for two and a half years. The place has gone to the dogs! Its gone grubby and the staff are touch and go. The new management team are just horrible people. I joined NRG in Jury's on Western Road in October and couldn't be happier! I know its in town but there is two and a half hours free parking. I also noticed a lot of ex Planet members in there too!

I was there for two and a half years. The place has gone to the dogs! Its gone grubby and the staff are touch and go. The new management team are just horrible people. I joined NRG in Jury's on Western Road in October and couldn't be happier! I know its in town but there is two and a half hours free parking. I also noticed a lot of ex Planet members in there too!

cheers,

would you know what are the membership rates there? full/off peak / student? they dont seem to list them on their site.

cheers,

would you know what are the membership rates there? full/off peak / student? they dont seem to list them on their site.

Not too sure! Im on Direct debit at the time there was no joining fee. We pay €89 a month for a couple. Go down and have a chat with them the staff are very nice they will probably even give you a trial!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

+1 NRG great gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Anyone know what the free weight facilities are like at NRG and does it get very busy? Also, what are the fees for a single membership?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

cheers,

They do offpeak rates for about 300 euro, sometimes there are offers dropping it to about 250.

A full fee is 550 and if you get a couple membership with a friend or partner it's 1000 total but you have to pay that up front - all the fees are higher if you choose the monthly option.

I've been there since May and I can't recommend it sadly. The lockers in the changing rooms are falling apart - you normally have to try 5-6 of them before you get a working one. The cardio section is nice enough but the weights section is where it lets me down as there is no olympic sized barbells. The redeeming factors for me until my subscription is up is the sauna, steam room and hot tub which are really nice. If cardio is your forte you might enjoy it more than I have so far :)

Does anyone know anything about this hardcore bodybuilding gym in Blackpool just off Watercross road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Thanks for that comprehensive response natty.

nattyguest wrote: »
    They do offpeak rates for about 300 euro, sometimes there are offers dropping it to about 250.

A full fee is 550 and if you get a couple membership with a friend or partner it's 1000 total but you have to pay that up front - all the fees are higher if you choose the monthly option.

I've been there since May and I can't recommend it sadly. The lockers in the changing rooms are falling apart - you normally have to try 5-6 of them before you get a working one. The cardio section is nice enough but the weights section is where it lets me down as there is no olympic sized barbells. The redeeming factors for me until my subscription is up is the sauna, steam room and hot tub which are really nice. If cardio is your forte you might enjoy it more than I have so far :)

Does anyone know anything about this hardcore bodybuilding gym in Blackpool just off Watercross road?

Are you on about Planet or NRG here??

Thanks for all the feedback folks

Planet website quotes Peak membership at €400. Off peak at €200.

I've been onto Silversprings also and they have off peak at €400 and can give me corporate peak at €500.

Advantage of silversprings is that they will suspend membership if i'm away for a considerable period on business which is possible. I'm open to correction here but I dont think many other gyms do this??

Also off peak in silversprings is 06:30 to 16:30 mon to fri and a few hours early sat & sun. Which are the only periods I would be going. Off peak in planet is 09:30 to 16:30 which rules out before work workouts.

I live and work in the northside of the city so city centre / southside gyms are out guys. I want to be able to get to the gym /work /home in 5-10 mins in the mornings.

Any further comments would be great, especially any view on silversprings.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Are you on about Planet or NRG here??

Planet :)

Gunnerfitzy that's interesting that their peak rates are down to €400, only about two months ago they were still at €500. The times and price drops have finally caught up with the gym service industry.

The only other gyms I know of in the Northside are two at the Blackpool retail park - one in a thai boxing club and one called fitness something... can't remember exactly but it was small and had limited hours. It's next to south doc across from the picture house.

The other one in northside is the hardcore bodybuilding club I mentioned earlier but have no information on.

Advertisement