Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing ISP

• 12-02-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Just got an email this morning telling me that I was nearing my 20GB limit on UTV broadband. This is mainly due to 11GB uploaded, which is total sh*t as I signed up for unlimited upload, i have read through the posts in this section about this issue and agree that it is completely unacceptable.

I have decided to change ISPs, and basically my choice is between eircom and BT. Just have a few questions which will influence my decission.

Firstly I am looking to get a router as opposed to a BB modem, but the BT website does not tell you what type of modem you get, does anyone know?
    Also how big a difference does the 48:1 contention ratio of Eircom and the 24:1 contention ratio of BT make.

Finally, from your experence which of the two would you make? I wish that I could stay with UTV as I am generally happy with the service, but adding upload to your cap is crazyness. Thanks for all the help.
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You get a Zyxel Presitge 600 series modem with BT. It's nothing flash, no wireless, 1 Ethernet and 1 USB connection, so you can use it with 2 devices at one time unless you get a Hub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

cheers sean, thats the modem I have at the moment with UTV. Pity they don't offer a router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This is the modem:
    http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B6JnR4X1p5WEVMcHJvZHVjdHNfcGkxW3Nob3dVaWRdPTEwMSZjSGFzaD05MjQyOWM4MDMx.0.html
    It's also a router and you can connect another router or a wireless router to it.
    The BT products are basically the same as Eircom with regard to speeds and contention but BT are way cheaper.
    1mb & 2mb have 48:1 contention and 3mb have 24:1 so you're contention depends on what package you sign up for.
    TBH you won't notice any difference unless you are connected to a very busy exchange with alot of users. Even then it's unlikely to be an issue.
    BT is definately the way to go.
    BTW, they will have a wireless router/modem available as an upgrade option for €40 from March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

thanks kaizersoze, do you know if it is possable to do port forwarding with that modem/router (I presume it is but...). It does look like BT is the way to go. I am paying 45 a month at the moment with UTV an think I can get the 2mb on BT for 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

john_g83 wrote:
    thanks kaizersoze, do you know if it is possable to do port forwarding with that modem/router (I presume it is but...). It does look like BT is the way to go. I am paying 45 a month at the moment with UTV an think I can get the 2mb on BT for 40.
    Yes you can because it'a a router aswell. A visit to www.portforward.com should sort you out.
    I presume you're paying UTV €45 plus line rental. BT is €40 including line rental for 2mb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement