Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fsck output question

• 12-02-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, for a variety for reasons, I thought my hdd might have gone tits up. I wiped the machine, reinstalled ubuntu, then ran fsck from knoppix. Here's the output.
    root@0[ramdisk]# e2fsck -c /dev/hda1
    e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done                        934
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    /: 80283/19398656 files (0.7% non-contiguous), 1097549/38788934 blocks

Does the 934 mean there were 934 bad blocks? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The -v option (verbose) might give you a better clue. I tried it on my /boot and the number was 128, which doesn't correspond to anything I remember setting for that partition.
    I use reiserfs on my data partitions, so I can't try it on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The whole process took about 16 hours to run on a 160GB hdd, so there'll be no running it again. ;)

Everything seems to be ok for now. The system was very unstable before, but I'm hoping that's because I was using ReiserFS. The new install is running on Ext3, but I have had one system crash since my first post.

The hard drive is about 16 months old, but I'd say it's seen less than 500 hours use in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

Look at smartmontools tools, if it's already installed it will be "smartctl" at the prompt. It gets back the SMART data from the hard disk (most new hd's store a rake of data on errors, uptime and a variety of things). The program allows you to take a guesstimate of how long more your hd will last and all that.

It might be of interest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one. Thanks. The hdd does have smart. I'll give that a bash when I get home.

Advertisement