Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Drain: VW 2.0 tdi

Options
  • 12-02-2006 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, quick question...where is the oil drain cap located on vw's 2.0 tdi engine?...just a rough description of its location...

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same as every other car at the bottom of the sump. It's called an oil drain plug btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no offence, but if you don't know how to find the sump plug, maybe you should bring it to a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

colm_mcm wrote:
    no offence, but if you don't know how to find the sump plug, maybe you should bring it to a dealer

No offence, but everyone has to learn somewhere. Once he/she is told where the plug is then they can do an oil change and save a few bob, isn't that the whole point of his/her post in the first place??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

colm_mcm wrote:

No offence, but if we all thought like that we'd never learn and would be ripped off by dealers.

OP: The oil drain plug is at the lowest oil point in the car, the sump. It will be on the very bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

couple of tips you may or may not already know:

1) try to drain it when the oil is warm, it flows quicker.
    2) remove the filler cap, aslo helps it drain.
    3) give it plenty of time to drain, this helps get the crap out of the sump.
    4) When it has drained, leave the sump plug off and pour in some fresh oil, this should help with no 3
    5) When fitting the new oil filtrer, put a ring of fresh oil around the rubber seal.
    6) be careful filling up with fresh oil, overfilling can be more harmful than underfilling. Give the oil time to settle in the sump before checking the dipstick.
    7) When you first start the engine, recheck the oil level as it will have dropped slightly due to the filter being filled with fresh oil. Top up if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

also get a oil filter wrench and tighten it 1/4 turn more than the tightest u can get it by hand. i had one unscrew on the engine after following the instructions and hand tightening it. luckily i caught it before it fell off from the oil on the driveway!
    also dont over tighten the sump plug, as it may strip, again 1/4 to a 1/2 more than just snug should do it. ul need a long spanner also for vw or audi or ul never be able to loosen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm open to correction on this but I've read somewhere else that VW have started using 'single use' sump plugs. Because of this a lot of VW DIYers use vacuum pumps to suck the oil out theough the dipstick. You might want to check this out as there'd be nothing worse than having the oil drained only to discover that you can't replace the sump plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

couple of tips you may or may not already know:

1) try to drain it when the oil is warm, it flows quicker.
    2) remove the filler cap, aslo helps it drain.
    3) give it plenty of time to drain, this helps get the crap out of the sump.
    4) When it has drained, leave the sump plug off and pour in some fresh oil, this should help with no 3
    5) When fitting the new oil filtrer, put a ring of fresh oil around the rubber seal.
    6) be careful filling up with fresh oil, overfilling can be more harmful than underfilling. Give the oil time to settle in the sump before checking the dipstick.
    7) When you first start the engine, recheck the oil level as it will have dropped slightly due to the filter being filled with fresh oil. Top up if needed.

Am i mistaken in saying the new 2.0 VW does not use a traditional oil filter anymore, they use sometype of paper elimient filter that slot in and out from under the car. I know its something like this in the new ford TDCI's. Well so i was told when i queried on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

tred wrote:
    Am i mistaken in saying the new 2.0 VW does not use a traditional oil filter anymore, they use sometype of paper elimient filter that slot in and out from under the car. I know its something like this in the new ford TDCI's. Well so i was told when i queried on my own.

you could well be right Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

you could well be right Ted

i get the feeling they are trying to make the DIY service a thing of the past in a lot of new cars coming out..

• Advertisement

The paper oil filter elements are to do with recycling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

alias no.9 wrote:
    The paper oil filter elements are to do with recycling.

They recycle an bit of paper covered in oil?

kbannon wrote:
    They recycle an bit of paper covered in oil?

It's as much about recovery and containment of the pollutant as the reuse of the materials. Recovery of the oil from paper is a relatively straight forward process and the paper is reycled. Dis-assembly of the canister type oil filter is much more difficult and still requires the recovery of the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

tred wrote:
    i get the feeling they are trying to make the DIY service a thing of the past in a lot of new cars coming out..
    Thats exactly what they are trying to do. They don't want you to do it yourself or a private mechanic to do it. They are trying to build the cars so that you have to go to the dealer and get it serviced i.e you need special tools to work on the car that are made by the manufacturer and that you can't buy(this is what I have been led to believe, correct me if I am wrong). So now you don't have much choice but to pay an arm and a leg for your service. Sorry for going off topic.

caesar wrote:
    Thats exactly what they are trying to do. They don't want you to do it yourself or a private mechanic to do it. They are trying to build the cars so that you have to go to the dealer and get it serviced i.e you need special tools to work on the car that are made by the manufacturer and that you can't buy(this is what I have been led to believe, correct me if I am wrong). So now you don't have much choice but to pay an arm and a leg for your service. Sorry for going off topic.
    ...and this is why some new cars require a dealer to replace a headlamp bulb!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Try using an oil vac pump instead. They cost about €100 and are very tidy for getting the oil out. No mess or containers.

You just empty it out into the oil vac. Pour in your new oil and empty what's on the oil vac into the can that had the new oil in it... :)

There was a post here recently on how to stop the oil vac from turingin upwards and not working (or something along those lines).
    Stick with the traditional method and do the job right!

i wouldn't encourage someone with very little knowledge to service their own car (granted, we know very little of the guys ability, and he hasn't posted a reply yet) as the cars are inceasingly complicated, at least use a Haynes manual if you're starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

colm_mcm wrote:
    i wouldn't encourage someone with very little knowledge to service their own car (granted, we know very little of the guys ability, and he hasn't posted a reply yet) as the cars are inceasingly complicated, at least use a Haynes manual if you're starting out

Yeah, because changing your oil, filters, plugs, fluids, tyre thread/pressure, etc. etc. is so dang hard! :rolleyes:

We all have to start somewhere. When I bought my far first I knew *nothing*. I gained knowledge through trial. 2 years on ive changed the headgasket (along with cambelt & water pump, thermostat), clutch, brake upgrade, suspension refurb, etc

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah, because changing your oil, filters, plugs, fluids, tyre thread/pressure, etc. etc. is so dang hard! :rolleyes:

i work in a garage, and have seen many cars in an awful state because the owners choose to "maintain" it themselves, plugs with crossed threads, oil filters not tightened properly, some items completely overlooked, eg. brakes and belts

I'm guessing that a 2.0 TDI might be fairly new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

this guy was lookin for a quick answer! :D;)

Advertisement