Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muldoons

Options
  • 12-02-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Is Muldoons over twneties?
    Was in there a few times but went in with older guys and wasn't asked for ID, was out Friday night, myself and male friend got stopped for ID. I'm 18 he's 19, we both produced ID to different bouncers, and my one said "Sorry it's over twenties" whereas my friend was let straight in, but then the other bouncer said I was okay to go in.
    But is it meant to be over twenties, cuz it looked like our group was the youngest in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

No thats the first time I heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.phelo

Yeah im afraid so! it's been over twenties for quite a while now

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

s.phelo wrote:
    Yeah im afraid so! it's been over twenties for quite a while now

Jasus you'd never think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Isn't that illegal?

I never go in there anyway - it's an overpriced kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I've been there, drank there, but never actually bought the drink... good old german midgets, and other random guys..
    Anyway we go in there loads, and we're under twenty, why is it over twenties? If anything should it not be over twenty one's?
    also, yeah the crowed is either way older than us or well under age!
    I love it in there though, after 12 o clock and a few pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's like a cattle mart in there most times and barely enough room to breathe. Although saying that, I rarely go out in Waterford so I can't really say what it's like week in week out but every time I'm there that seems to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It either ends out a cattle market or your the youngest (Well in my case) by about 9 years.

Try the forum for good craic!

I'm 18 and always feel like the youngest, go to the very back of the bottom floor it's never as busy back there, although, you run the risk of being attacked by wannabe pole dancer... although it could be their night of from whispers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Yea I always thought it was over 21`s , wasnt sure was that legal or not :confused:

Cant stand the place anyway , tis a kip and the crowd seems that bit older.
    Also Ive been approached by quite a few odd people in there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Also Ive been approached by quite a few odd people in there :o

i'm sorry ok! just get over it now!
    i'm not that odd anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its illegal for bars and clubs to be "Over 21's" and has been for a good few years now, their just chancing their arm with people they don't like/like the look of, somebody just needs to challenge them

[EDIT] seems I'm wrong, however their still breaking the law if they don't have a sign up
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/faqs/?search=over+21st+bars#19
    Our local nightclub has a sign saying 'Over 21's only'. Is this legal?
    Pubs, bars and nightclubs in Ireland are allowed to set a minimum age for the sale and consumption of alcohol above the statutory minimum age of 18. This policy must be publicly displayed and operated in good faith.

personally I have no problem with it...but thats only cause I'm in my mid 20's :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

can't beat muldoons sorry but I like'd like to be a wannabe pole dancer and I don't work in whispers anyway the pillers are to big to wrap my legs around there isn't any poles down the dirty back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.phelo

have to agree love Muldoons! have to say though cant stand going out in waterford lately! is it just me or does anyone else agree that its gone to the dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Trapse

I'd say its if the bouncers look at you and think your kinda a young lookin 18/19 year old then they'll ask ya for id and say that malarcky bout over 21 stuff. At the end of the day management have the right to refuse. Friend got stopped there bout a year or so ago and she was 19 and got refused saying it was over 21's. She went to cop shop next day (She was fairly mad) and cops said right to refuse entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Trapse wrote:
    I'd say its if the bouncers look at you and think your kinda a young lookin 18/19 year old then they'll ask ya for id and say that malarcky bout over 21 stuff. At the end of the day management have the right to refuse. Friend got stopped there bout a year or so ago and she was 19 and got refused saying it was over 21's. She went to cop shop next day (She was fairly mad) and cops said right to refuse entry.

Nope, that's illegal. You cannot discriminate on those grounds anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

same thing happened me and a friend goin in there were both 18 and we were told its over 20's this was a friday night havent been back since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

s.phelo wrote:
    have to agree love Muldoons! have to say though cant stand going out in waterford lately! is it just me or does anyone else agree that its gone to the dogs!

it's the same faces... doin the same poses

trishw78 wrote:
    can't beat muldoons sorry but I like'd like to be a wannabe pole dancer and I don't work in whispers anyway the pillers are to big to wrap my legs around there isn't any poles down the dirty back
    darling if that was you, despitet he fact that I get the feeling you're taking the mickey, those jeans... they were so tight ya could read your lips! And for future reference, just about everyone thjat seen these two laughed at them, LOTS...

Anyway, another question, I know places can refuse the right to serve, but I had been in Geoffs earlier, went up for a drink, and was asked for ID, as was my friend. I produced passport, friend had UCC student card. Yer man refused to serve us, cuz he didn't believe my friends card was hers, and because it had only recently been my 18th. That's not enough grounds to refuse on is it?

Then the barman in the Kazbar was telling us about the raids, on Dec 6th, so we finally had a bit of understanding but it was still very tight everywhere this week...

you can refuse anyone no matter what their age entry to a pub if your a publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

you can refuse anyone no matter what their age entry to a pub if your a publican.

Not if it's solely on the basis of age.

• Advertisement

publican being the owner or a worker?
    We were both legal, he just said, he didn't believe our ID, an Irish passport and a UCC card.

Thats true.
    The doorman doesn't need an excuse and if he say's your too young to get in and there are no notices stating there is an age limit then that's the doorman's fault for being thick and not simply saying No. That just gives the person he refused something to argue with. When i worked in pubs and nightclubs the best doorman just said No, and that was that. You can't argue with someone if all they ever say is No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Who owns Muldoons??
    Now ask yourself who owns practically all other late night venues in that area.....
    I was talking to a bar man in Muldoons one night (during freshers week) and he informed me that the door staff had been instructed to stop anyone under 21 going in for that week. So you had the majority of young students being refused entry into a late night bar and then having to pay a tenner to get into a club nearby or upstairs. Same person owns them all.
    Good business sense or ripping off young people? You decide.
    Could be why the OP was refused.......easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Le Rack wrote:
    Is Muldoons over twneties?
    Was in there a few times but went in with older guys and wasn't asked for ID, was out Friday night, myself and male friend got stopped for ID. I'm 18 he's 19, we both produced ID to different bouncers, and my one said "Sorry it's over twenties" whereas my friend was let straight in, but then the other bouncer said I was okay to go in.
    But is it meant to be over twenties, cuz it looked like our group was the youngest in there.

Was out friday night too with two friends,handed my I.d to bouncers and was told sorry over 20's too.Very strange.Im 18 and so were my friends.

Hey, Roen, I know what you're saying but they let me, one bouncer said no but the other one said I was grand.

What time did you go to Mul's at Barrie? We usually go around 12ish and never have much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Must of been about 12ish too.Just came out of Masons and straight over.Was never in there before but wasnt bothered about it.I went into Ruby's lounge and was packed so went next door(Woodman?) for a few:p

I don't like the look of Ruby's, seems a bit much tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Let's face it most Bouncers/Doormen are just on a power trip. They probably have no real control or say in their personal lives, so "wey hey...." They get to make decisions, and get paid for it.
    If a place was raided by the Guards, they're not going to prosecute the owners because it was full of 'over 18s'.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If you find yourself in that situation, just say that because they have no signs up it is illegal and all it would take is a phone call to have the place shut down. They'll quickly change their minds about their "Over 20's" policy and let you in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement