Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectations of your children

Options
  • 12-02-2006 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what you all think about what you should expect of your children. A lot of parents seem to push their children towards certain careers and try to ensure that their children don't make the mistakes that they believe they have made.

I think that the only thing you have the right to expect of your children is that they are a good person, that they have an ounce of benevolence and empathy within them, that they think for themselves and think of others.

I don't think you have the right to try to influence your childrens choices on college/careers beyond suggestions and passing on advice and wisdom. There are a lot of people I know who's parents would cut them off completely if they weren't in college, I have a friend who is really depressed and hates what she's doing in college but would never leave or even switch course because she feels that her parents would never talk to her again.

To all those parents, stop living through your children. They're not your salvation, you're supposed to be there for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You eat babies for a living & you are telling off parents?! :confused: :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It's my ethnic right to eat babies, racist!

Advertisement