Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Sax

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I haven't heard of the second sax before, so I don't know if it's good or not. The first website seems pretty reasonable though. The best beginner saxophones that I know of are the Jupiter 565, and if you have a bit more money there's the Toptone student model.

www.saxophones.co.uk

Good sax website, but massive tax on imports :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Hey, I was thinking of buying a sax too but unfortunately I need to spend more time practicing guitar and keyboards before I take on a new instrument. I think I like Altos the best.

I wouldn't trust that site though. I went around posting and cheap saxes play like ****, even moreso than **** guitars. Most teachers won't accept students with them. You need to get a decent Sax, at least another £100 on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Rozie wrote:
    Hey, I was thinking of buying a sax too but unfortunately I need to spend more time practicing guitar and keyboards before I take on a new instrument. I think I like Altos the best.

I wouldn't trust that site though. I went around posting and cheap saxes play like ****, even moreso than **** guitars. Most teachers won't accept students with them. You need to get a decent Sax, at least another £100 on top of that.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Rozie. Save up for a little while longer, and if you can try and get a Jupiter or even a Toptone/Yamaha (near the €1000 mark) you'd be sorted. Fusion recently bought an alto, so maybe he might be able to reccomend you a website to order from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey,

I didn't buy online bought it from a local music shop then bought a new mouthpiece and it sounds very sweet. In terms of getting a sax the mouthpiece is most important, a bad mouthpiece can lead to a terrible sound, I think €1000 is a bid excessive for your first sax tbh, mine was €600 including a nice mouthpiece & strap etc..

Love the sax! It's great, started learning me some Bird at my lesson the other day :)

Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sheeps Head

Yeah, you can get good sounds from a cheap(ish) sax, but with a good mouthpiece.
    Have a look at www.sax.co.uk
    Chris plays the sax himself and will respond to emailed questions.
    I've bought from him and have no worries.

Also, look at trevor james and start saving...

Ron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

If you want top advice on sax buying reeds etc call into Paul Ryan Woodwind and Brass in Temple Bar.
    http://www.paulryanmusic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mark Sage

Hi,

Can't help you with your query but your the only one who had a Sax related item.

How good is your sax playing or do you know of any good sax players.
    I am looking for one to play at my wedding ceremony in July (outdoors in Wicklow, Ballybeg)

Regards,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

anyone have any info or advise on getting a trumet or trombone? one of these will be my next instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 el lupo

As a sax player myself, I can only reccomed what i play myself. Selmer saxes are as good as they get

http://www.selmer.com/

I play a Selmer balanced action alto..sweet. Really, I'd recommend you save for a Selmer if possible..older models are actually better than the newer ones.

Yamaha saxes are ok as beginner instruments, but you'll find that you'll need a replacement within a year or two as you get better.

Another good make are a japanese company called yanagisawa

http://www.yanagisawasax.co.jp

if you find any of thse they're well worth the money.

For a good mouthpiece, check out Claude Lakey (you need to order them from the states), I have a few and they really do make a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 onthejazzplanet

johnblyons wrote:
    Hey,
    I'm getting a new alto next month. I checked out these sites here...

http://www.rikkismusic.com/english/index.html

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/saxophones/gear4music-alto-saxophone-by-gear4music-com.asp

If you could give me feedback on how trustworthy they are I would really appreciate it or if you know where i could get a sax of equivalent price... I really want to play but have not much cash. Thank you.

Hi John.

I've only just read your message so I hope my advice is not too late...I think many of the sax sites like saxophones.co.uk whilst better than the local shop are pretty over rated. I can really recommend "Singing Chicken" www.singingchicken.co.uk which is based in Wiltshire. They are cheaper than any of the same ole same ole websites we have all visited to death and they give straightforward no b/s advice. I was tossing up between a Yanigisawa Alto 991 and 901 and they advised the A901 (despite it being £450 cheaper). In addition they offer a discount if you can pay by cheque or debit card. Checkout their mission statement; "This business was set up in the firm belief that people were getting charged far too much for quality musical instruments" Don't follow the sheep..cross the road for the chicken!

Ian :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement