Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for advice on this...

Options
  • 12-02-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I posted here before looking for help on my jeep which was in trouble, but had no luck fixing it as a result of being too busy and also the dark freezing winter nights, which leads me to this. My pajero has died on me. It starts, kinda, but overheats quickly, steam pours out. Yes theres water in the rad.

Now I want to trade up for the last few weeks for a van I've seen, but thought I'd at least be able to drive out and show them the pajero, and maybe do a deal. However now I'm bunched, it wont get there.
    What do I do?Get it fixed and then go out? Or is there any way to tell them what I have and to get them to come get it? Or is this cwazy as theyll knock a few grand off the value?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Any clue which part of the engine steam is coming from ? If it's a rubber hose, then it's a relatively cheap fix. If a core-plug on the engine-block, that's not the end of the world either. Could be the thermostat housing has a crack in it (the pipe from the top of the radiator connects to that, on top of the engine, in case you don't know what to look for).

Does the temp guage go to "overheat" ? You ought not to run the engine anyway.

If it's something expensive like the head-gasket (about 400 to 500 quid to fix) the water normally escapes out the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well what year is the Pajero and how much would you expect to get for it if it didn't have the problem. Do you even know what's wrong with it (sounds like a blown head gasket) Have you gotten a quote to get it fixed?

If you turn up at the car dealers and give them an honest description of the Pajero and the problem that it has, they will likely give you an approx trade in price without seeing the vehicle. It will be a rock bottom price however. Depending on how bad it is that will influence your decision on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It could be the waterpump.

Check for leaks, etc.
    If you say that it overheats, but theres water in the rad, then it could be that the water is not getting circulated. It could also be something simple like an airlock, have you bled the system?

Without trying to freak you out, have you checked the oil/coolant for contamination, signs of HeadGasket failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Thanks alot for all the help, TBH I dont really know alot about engines.
    Ive had the problem since before Christmas, and doing nothing about it has led ultimately to death.
    I'm driving along and the temp gauge goes to H, and she wont drive if I'm stopped, at lights or something. So I wait for the gauge to come back down to the middle, and off I go again. It may not go to H again for 15 minutes. Sometimes Ill be driving along and itll go to H and back to the middle again as I'm driving.
    Now for whats happening under the bonnet. The radiator is empty, so I fill it up with usually 1 and a half litres of water. That used to get me by for a few days(But I wouldnt be doing alot of driving), until it would start overheating again so I'd refill it. All this time the overflow tank from the rad would be full.
    Now when I refill the rad, it doesnt take so much water but that doesnt fix the problem.
    I've checked the oil, fine. When I start it up I get smokey crap from the exhaust.
    Why does it keep pouring water out of the rad(when not hot), I thought it was supposed to be full. How would I bleed the system?Is there a plug or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There is a bleed screw somewhere along the piping, usually on a solid part of the pipe as opposted to flexible rubber. I'm not sure where it is on your jeep. Take it to a backyard mechanic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Okay now I'm freaked out rang a mechanic, explained the problem, said it sounded bad and could be a head gasket which would cost me E5-6 grand. Told me to bring it back to where I bought it.
    I broke down in town first of all a week before Christmas, so called the AA, who didnt know what it was and told me I should fill it up with fresh diesel. As it was intermittent they couldnt diagnose it.
    So I had the jeep serviced and 'fixed' by another garage, same problem next day, but as it was Christmas, uncontactable.
    Then I decided I was just gonna trade it, but as the weeks went by it got worse and worse.
    Should I tear the arse off that garage for 'fixing' it, and get them to come tow it? If its a head gasket surely it was their responsibility to note any problems that could lead to this? The day after servicing there was no water in the radiator, aswell as the fact they forgot to put my hubcaps back on one side. :mad: Do I have any comeback with this place 1 month after service?

Advertisement