Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I pay for a laptop?

Options
  • 12-02-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I feel kinda silly posting this in this forum since it seems to be more about buying houses, businesses, etc :p If it's the wrong forum, then if a mod could move it to a forum that might deal with this kind of thing (banking?)

How and ever, I'm a 1st year in college, and my computer science course is 4 years long, so I figure it'd be a good investment to get a laptop now -- and plus, I want one :)

I haven't researched too much (I will), but it looks like it'll cost me between €800 and €1400, which, as a student, is money I don't have on hand!

I've got about €600 in the bank at the moment (my birthday is just gone), I'm working part-time and earning around €90 a week, and from about June til mid-August, I will hopefully be working full-time at a different job (assuming I can get one :().

I haven't really got any financial responsibilities, since I live at home, and have gotten by without needing too many books so far. I would like to go on holidays this summer, though, so that'll be about €1000, mas o menos.

Loads of students buy laptops all the time (half of my classmates do anywho), and I'm just wondering how!

I don't want to wait until the summer since I've got plenty of time this semester that I could use it for.

So I was wondering is it possible, for example, to pay €10-15 a week, and then when I'm working full-time, or have enough saved up, to pay however much is left, in one go? eg. pay €10 for 25 weeks = €250, then if the laptop cost €1000, to pay €750 at once. I don't wanna be paying €10 a week for the rest of my life, when the computer may be obsolete in 2 years!

Alternatively, would a bank give a student-rate loan, and I could pretty much do the same as above, only with the bank rather than the shop?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Hi there,

How about trying your credit union - they will usually be alot more flexible than a bank and can tailor repayments to suit you. You also have the option of paying more back when you have it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Nowadays you can buy a good enough laptop with 800-900 Euro, you have already got 600 Euro, so you should just find somebody to lend you the remaining 200-300 Euro for a few weeks and possibly pay off in cash. There is no point in paying over a period of time as you end up paying more for interest, and for such a low value I don't think it is worth it....

Advertisement