Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligence test

Options
  • 13-02-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

How would one go about having the above carried out on a child?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

This thread is begging for elaborate jokes :p but I'll leave that to the funny people.

I don't know, but you should know that kids usually score higher in IQ tests than is represented by their actual intelligence.

Just have him touch an electrified bun or something, like in the simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Ask an innocuous, simple question and get a nonsensical answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yorky I would suggest that you talk to you childs teacher.
    What age is the child ?
    Have you looked at Irish Centre for Talented Youth.
    http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/young/ys_info.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

Yorky wrote:
    How would one go about having the above carried out on a child?

My Da is faculty and I've been a subject of these tests over the years. He believes in being informed...(and informing me). I also did a school paper on this topic once, so look out, and put your boots on...:rolleyes:

There are intelligence tests designed for children. The two most frequently used are the Stanford Binet IQ Test and the WISC (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children). When they become an adult (around 17), then the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) is often used. All three of these tests are normed and standardised, which means, that you can compare the score with one against the other two using a table or a z-score.

The assumption about these types of IQ tests is that intelligence is innate and does not change until physical/mental old age when systems fail. The critiques of these tests are ones pertaining to validity and reliability. The validity debate suggests that these IQ tests only measure one aspect of intelligence (i.e., that there are many types of intelligences). The reliability debate challenges whether intelligence can be improved through education, per se (and is not totally innate).

Although there has been a lot of debate regarding what these tests actually measure, one thing does stand out. A high IQ score is highly associated with success at university.

Administration of the two children's tests require a qualified professional. Check with your child's school, or perhaps the psychology faculty at a local university.

Advertisement