Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice under Floorboards

Options
  • 13-02-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

HI,
    Does anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of mice from underneath the floorboards without having to take the boards up.Also cant seem to find any holes so dont know how they are getting in.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You could try one of those ultasonic things which make sounds that (apparently) mice can't stand so they move out. You could lift up just one floorboard near where you think they are and put down a trap. I had one and put down various traps and haven't got the *****r yet. The cat is pure useless - he just sits in front of the fire. It's been a couple of weeks since I heard the mouse so hopefully he's legged it. If the mouse dies there he'll stink like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Do you have the option taking up a board under the false bottom of a wardrobe, i know this because i had to do it in a previous house.... just cut a 4 inch piece out with a jigsaw, lay your trap, with some string attached to a nail on a joist (in case the bugger does a runner with your trap) and check every 12 hours....... peanut butter works a treat !!!!

I tried peanut butter, rashers, cheese the lot. This mouse has plenty of intell. Can't catch him with anything!!! Anyone any other bait options.
    I can't kill him cos he's under the flloboards and I need to remove the corpse!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wayyyy back when I was a nipper, I had a summer job with a pest control co. used 'sticky' traps and baited them with coconut - never failed. Visited my parents shed recently where I left one years ago and it was full of mouse skeletons and one recent arrival!
    I dont know if you can buy these anywhere now but they DO work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Dead mouse=stink ...urban myth ? i have used poisen before and never had the smell thing, come to think of it... found a trap with a mouse in it a few years ago that had "leaked all its body fluid" for want of a better expression and never got the smell during the decomposition process.... maybe its just rats that smell.....can someone confirm or deny this ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

"so I've heard"
    Depends on the poison - one form dehydrates the bugger so he leaves in search of water and dies on the way. Another - more popular with commercial pesticide companies - causes the mouse / rat to swell up before he dies therefore stopping him escaping through whatever hole he would normally have escaped by. All this = rotting corpse = smell.

Trap + string + nail makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

The weirdest place i found a dead mouse was behind a socket in a concrete wall!!!! not kidding!!... reckon they only smell if in open air and not in an enclosed space..those ultra sonic gizmos arnt worth the money to run them...totaly useless the mouse happily lives beside them..

Those sticky pads are available in Woodies. I have a couple under the floorboards upsatirs. No luck yet but I'll try the coconut. Does it have to be fresh or can I just break open a Bounty bar?!

Advertisement