Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Blueface work with Ripwave?

• 13-02-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

hi

quick question

Wil Blueface work with Ripwave?

or is ripwave too slow?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

womoma wrote:
    Wil Blueface work with Ripwave?
    or is ripwave too slow?

Basically any VoIP provider's service should work with any broadband connection - the issue will be whether or not your broadband connection will be reliable enough to maintain quality of VoIP calls. Try it and see is the only answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I wouldn't be very optomistic tbh - IBB offerings have had a fair bit of packetloss and very spikey latencies in my experience. Blueface still offer a free trial of the softphone don't they?
    I'd give that a go, but try it over a course off a few days at least. IBB connections can be superb one minute and then terrible another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 2002

I've been using Blueface with IBB for the last few weeks with no issues - very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've been using Blueface with IBB for the last few weeks with no issues - very happy with it.
    just to clarify if possible, youre using Blueface with IBB Ripwave? or another IBB service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 2002

Sorry yes I should have mentioned - it's their Breeze 1Mb product.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes I should have mentioned - it's their Breeze 1Mb product.
    Breeze is different from Ripwave mate. Its about twice as fast as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

http://www.testmyvoip.com

I wouldn't say it is the definitive answer but it will give you a good indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I wonld not recommend using VoIP on it, we tryed skype and that just about worked but with high latancy, the upload is too low and IBB have made a balls of that service.

However on the manufactures site, Navina ripwave can support VoIP and prioritzy that traffic.
    VoIP support on ripwave

From the ripwave support site
    Can the Ripwave Basestation system support voice as well as data on the same modem?

Answer
    Yes, the Navini Ripwave system supports both VoIP and Data on the same modem since both are data. Using DiffServ markings, the CPE and BTS will prioritize voice over data. The DiffServ values must be set on the EMS to allow the BTS/CPE to identify voice from data traffic.

test it out for yourself on the Blueface trial but your better off just pack the ripwave back in the box and send it back when it's from IBB
    Better look with Breeze, maybe..

pointofnoreturn - thanks for your response.

This is what Blueface said.-
    .. the Ripwave product doesn't work very well
    with our service but IBB Breeze usually works very well, the best way to
    figure out what it'll be like for you is to try it out yourself

I did the trial with the softfone, and latency is about 1 second with occassional breakups- in other words -not good enough for a comfortable conversation.

Unfortunatly Breeze is 35 a month compared to 20 quid for Ripwave. I might be able to come to some arrangement though. Ill do the maths and work it out to see if Breeze and Blueface will be cheaper than Ripwave and Eircoms bastard bi-monthly monstrous bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

womoma wrote:
    Unfortunatly Breeze is 35 a month compared to 20 quid for Ripwave. I might be able to come to some arrangement though. Ill do the maths and work it out to see if Breeze and Blueface will be cheaper than Ripwave and Eircoms bastard bi-monthly monstrous bills.

It will. The saving on line rental alone will make make up most of the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

VoIP with Breeze usually works very well? I think not. I've tried it on two Breeze connections, and it was practically unusable on both. These were "3Mbps" and "4Mbps" respectively. IBB can't deliver a stable connection and VoIP just doesn't work with packet loss or sudden 400ms latency or packets arriving out of sequence. I know Clearwire gets a lot of complaints, but I have on the other hand had pretty good experience with VoIP with Clearwire. They prioritise VoIP now so it runs quite well. Not perfect like an eircom phone line, but I suspect nobody gets that quality with VoIP.

If you're not going to be making a lot of international calls, I'd say you'd be best off with a mobile phone with 3. For the price of the eircom line rental you get 200 minutes of calls to Irish mobiles and landlines.

Cheers Blaster.

I suggested a mobile but my dad reckons its a bit mean expecting people to call you on a mobile at home. Feck them I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

I am successfully using Blueface with Ripwave. The softphone was a bit dodgy, but since I got the netgear router and a dect phone it works perfectly.

But then again, I appear to be one of the lucky ripwave users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Thats on lucky ripwave box, keep us posted. if there is any hekups.

Has anyone tryed the Clearwire BB with blueface VoIP?

Advertisement