Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai Stopping you for no reason

Options
  • 13-02-2006 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone else have this problem. The last time was at about half 3 in the morning and an unmarked car was tailgating me so I pulled into the margin to let him off next thing I know a siren going off and made stop. Also stopped and told me back tire was faulty took it to a garage the next day nothing was wrong. Does this kinda think happen to many young ppl? I only drive a 1L car so its not like i've a sham car or that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

since getting my license (one month ago) i've been stopped three times.

first question they normally ask me is "Where's my L plates?" followed by "Where's your experience driver?" it's not like i'm breaking the law to warrant a pull over but i love seing the sickened face of a garda when i show them that sheet of paper saying i've sent away for my license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

"sickened face"?
    Cremo wrote:

first question they normally ask me is "Where's my L plates?" followed by "Where's your experience driver?" it's not like i'm breaking the law to warrant a pull over but i love seing the sickened face of a garda when i show them that sheet of paper saying i've sent away for my license.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh, they seem to be pulling me over because they think a 19 year old can't pass a driving test. so when i show them my piece of paper they are like taken aback and just say "ohh, it's just a routine pull over", then they check the tax just to make it look legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Cremo wrote:
    yeh, they seem to be pulling me over because they think a 19 year old can't pass a driving test. so when i show them my piece of paper they are like taken aback and just say "ohh, it's just a routine pull over", then they check the tax just to make it look legit.

Thats a ridiculous statement. They (all guards) are taken aback that a 19 year old has a full license? Many people I know had passed their test before they were 20. Then the guard has to make excuses so they dont look stupid? Right.

I wonder why you were really stopped 3 times. Iv been driving for many years (since I was 17) and have never been stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I was 17 when I passed my test, I got stopped by the gards and i cant remember him being that shocked, i dont think its that extraordinary, or at least it shouldnt be, it seems to just be acceptable for people to drive around on provisionals all their lives.

as for the original question, id say at half 3 in the morning the Gards stop alot of the cars they see, theres a high chance of someone drink driving if your out at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i have been driving around for the past 3 weeks with just a cover note in the window and a piece of paper stamped by the dealer because i just got the car and i havnt been stopped once to check if everything is ok.

Still waiting on lyods to send over their cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

i used to get stopped a lot as well in the first few years of driving. They always stop young people for the very fact that they are young and need to be disciplined, i suppose.
    But also, you'll be more likely to be stopped a lot more if you have friends that are involved in illegal activities, drugs etc. The guards know who hangs around with who, and if you regularly visit someone who's being watched by them, then you'll be pulled over a lot more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mightyone

well I'm 22 and thats what pissing me off. I've been by myself when the shower of b**tards pulled me everytime keep asking em is that your car. One guard on when I handed him my licence which is a full irish licence (pink) asked me what provisional I was on gave me great satasfication in telling him it was a full.
    The guards must be getting more stupid problem is there taking on too many hurlers and footballers who have about 2 brain cells but sounds good to have them in the force.
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have the same problem with the garda in recent times. One night aboout 4am I was coming home and I noticed a car tailing me. I could tell straight away that it was an unmarked car.

Just as I was about to pull into my estate they flashed a blue light at me. I didnt stop, drove at 20kph around the length of my estate, which took about 2 minutes and pulled into my driveway. The garda pulled in after me, jumped out of the car and started hurling abuse at me, saying they signalled me to pull in and I should have done so. At this point I lost the rag with him and clearly said that they could be 2 carjackers with a blue strobe they bought off ebay trying to steal my car! They didnt appreciate that too much! I said there was no way I was stopping my €40,000 bmw for anything less than an official squad car, and if he had a problem with it, you could give me his name and ID number and I would take it up with the local superintendent in the morning.

I pulled in when I felt safe, and the fact that there is a camera facing my driveway would give me further protection. They soon quickly backed off. You see most Garda prey on the fear factor, but if you know you are right, and are not smart about it, they will back off! For the record, I did contact the station in the next few days, but never got a call back! What I was told at a later stage is that if an unmarked car signals a pull in, and you wont pull in, call 999 straight away and report it. They will immediatialy confirm that indeed a car is signalling a pull in. Thats the only back up you really have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Mightyone wrote:
    well I'm 22 and thats what pissing me off. I've been by myself when the shower of b**tards pulled me everytime keep asking em is that your car. One guard on when I handed him my licence which is a full irish licence (pink) asked me what provisional I was on gave me great satasfication in telling him it was a full.
    The guards must be getting more stupid problem is there taking on too many hurlers and footballers who have about 2 brain cells but sounds good to have them in the force.
    :confused:

It's good to know that they are out there doing their job. With an attitude like yours, it's no wonder that you are stopped regularly. Just because a Garda asks to see your provisional licence, it dosen't mean that he expects you to have one. He may be merely using it as an oportunity to hear you speak or to assess your reaction. The Gardai will regularly run a radio check on a vehicle before pulling it over. Your car may have been flagged on it.

PS If you are going to call other people 'stupid' it is better to do it with proper grammar and puncuation. Otherwise you will sound like a moron with "about two brain cells".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yep, used to happen all the time. Got my first car (crappy Corolla) when I was 18, and got stopped every second time I was out with my mates. Got the usual, torch light in the face, "is this your car", "where you off to BOY" "whos the boys in the back" and so on. Started to annoy me, but they stopped after a while. Like another poster says, I think they get to know the cars and people they need to watch, so once they're used to seeing you and your car in the area, and they know you're not up to any mischief, they should just leave you be. Just grin and bear it for the time being, they are doing their job. (as annoying as that can be, ah well)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you saw some dangerous driving or your car was stolen or whatever, you would be wondering where the gardai were. Be happy they are out monitoring the roads and you were inconvienenced for a few minutes only - get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't think people are giving out about the cops actually doing their jobs (for a change! I could tell ye all some stories), I think it's more the unwarranted condescending and downright insulting attitudes some of them have. There are a lot of them out there on power trips and who think a badge lets them insult and patronise the general public :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...if an unmarked car signals a pull in, and you wont pull in, call 999 straight away and report it. They will immediatialy confirm that indeed a car is signalling a pull in. Thats the only back up you really have!

On your handsfree mobile phone presumably ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I don't think people are giving out about the cops actually doing their jobs (for a change! I could tell ye all some stories), I think it's more the unwarranted condescending and downright insulting attitudes some of them have. There are a lot of them out there on power trips and who think a badge lets them insult and patronise the general public :mad:

Usual crap talked about the Garda, I have been on the road since I was 16, over 10 years now, never was I stopped unless at a check point. Since I was born many many years ago have only had a few dealing with the Garda in a justice sence(getting ID and so on I dont count) and everytime they have been very helpful and very nice people.

I also used to work part time as a carpenter in my younger days and my boss had a nice number doing the majority of the work for the local Garda station(not mentioning which station) and they where always really sound and nice people. Also one of friends father is a detective and he is sound

This is just the usual crap that people spout out about the Garda, complaining if they are checking peoples cars then crying if the Garda don't stop people and so on. Afriad to say it but it seems to be more of a problem in Dublin than anywhere else in the country with the general public having this atitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goodfella867

He is right though. He isn't saying that they're all idiots with a bad attitude, just that alot of them out there are on a power trip.

He is right though. He isn't saying that they're all idiots with a bad attitude, just that alot of them out there are on a power trip.

Not any that I have met, or anybody that I know, think it is more a problem with the person that is dealing with them than the Garda themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Nelly wrote:
    Not any that I have met, or anybody that I know, think it is more a problem with the person that is dealing with them than the Garda themselves.

Just because you've never come across these types doesnt mean they don't exist. Trust me, there are some right power-trippy feckers who love nothing more than giving some random guy a good grilling.

I've been stopped loads of times, for absolutely no logical reasons whatsoever and in 50% of cases the officers were fine, the other 50% were arrogant so and so's.

I can understand stopping cars for speeding or driving erratically but some of 'em just pick out random cars to make it look like they're doing their job that night. Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Its called policing.Its how they gather intelligence,info and generally just suss out who you are ect.

Ive only ever been "pulled" over once and all of my cars would have stuck out like sore thumbs.The gaurd said to me he'd seen the car around alot and just wondered who was driving it,asked how much money id spent on it and then said goodluck!

Savman wrote:
    Just because you've never come across these types doesnt mean they don't exist. Trust me, there are some right power-trippy feckers who love nothing more than giving some random guy a good grilling.

I've been stopped loads of times, for absolutely no logical reasons whatsoever and in 50% of cases the officers were fine, the other 50% were arrogant so and so's.

I can understand stopping cars for speeding or driving erratically but some of 'em just pick out random cars to make it look like they're doing their job that night. Bull.

Yeah Im sure every Garda in the country goes around stopping random cars for no reason what so ever? thats why me and all of my family(large family) have never been stopped except for speeding(brother and father) or at a checkpoint. Seems strange when my family has never had a problem and you seem to get stopped for no "logical" reason? I think if you check there is probably a very good reason why they are stopping you

Oh yeah I do over 20K a year so its not like I am never on the road, spend most of my life on it to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

call 999 straight away and report it. They will immediatialy confirm that indeed a car is signalling a pull in.

I'm not really sure what you mean here (how would a 999 operator know a guard had flashed a blue light at you?) and second of all, it's a complete waste of a 999 line.

I had a similar experience with a guard who followed me bumper to bumper for about 2 miles until I left him in a GTI, when he caught up in his Corolla, wearing nothing to suggest he was a copper, driving alone and started to read the riot act, I explained that I left him for dust as I didn't know who he was and why did it take so long for him to want to pull me in ie. the 2 miles previous. He saw my point and off I went.

I pulled in when I felt safe, and the fact that there is a camera facing my driveway would give me further protection. They soon quickly backed off. You see most Garda prey on the fear factor, but if you know you are right, and are not smart about it, they will back off! For the record, I did contact the station in the next few days, but never got a call back! What I was told at a later stage is that if an unmarked car signals a pull in, and you wont pull in, call 999 straight away and report it. They will immediatialy confirm that indeed a car is signalling a pull in. Thats the only back up you really have!

I believe there was a serial rapist in America who got a blue light for his car and used it to to pull over and rape women.

The police chief ordered that no unmarked cars should be pulling motorists over and told motorists not to stop for unmarked cars.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Cremo wrote:

So you think that just because you've posted off your request for a test you're ok? First I heard of that. Checked oasis.gov and can't see any mention of this..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I could tell straight away that it was an unmarked car.

From the 1st of april you could receive two points for that.

"Failure to stop when so required by a member of the Garda Siochana - 2 points"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

MarkR wrote:
    So you think that just because you've posted off your request for a test you're ok? First I heard of that. Checked oasis.gov and can't see any mention of this..

I think he means he passed his test, photocopied the piece of paper they give you (certificate that you passed), and sent off for his full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

MarkR wrote:

Mark I think you'll find your certificate of competency and the pink receipt you have entitles you to drive while waiting for your licence. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

MarkR wrote:

I would rather take the chance and argue it in court than stop my car, than have someone put a knife to my face and drive off in my pride and joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MarkR wrote:

Thing is though, how do you verify that the driver of an unmarked car behind you with a blue flashing light is, in fact, a member of the Garda Siochana and not just some nutcase trying to steal your car? Answer: you don't. If it's a guard standing in front of you waving his light sabre / lolipop thing at you, then that's another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've been driving for 2 years now. 1.5 of those years is in a non standard car, 'modified' both internally and externally & engine conversion. I was 17 when I started driving, 19 now.

Not once have I been pulled, and i've always been waved on at checkpoints (As I always have valid NCT/Tax/Insurance). I think the reason is because I don't act the muppet in my car, I obey the rules of the road. Because of this i've never been the cause of attention to the Gardai. Oh I also don't have a w4nker 'going nowhere' loud exhaust, although its not the OE system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads if you are on your second provisional, and you are stopped with no other experienced driver with you, what happens. I thought I heard before that once you are on your second provisional its okay, but just want to be sure. Cheers!!

Advertisement