Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai Stopping you for no reason

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a 2nd 'B' provisional our government deem you to be good enough to drive on unsupervised.
    See http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

JohnCleary wrote:
    I've been driving for 2 years now. 1.5 of those years is in a non standard car, 'modified' both internally and externally & engine conversion. I was 17 when I started driving, 19 now.

Not once have I been pulled, and i've always been waved on at checkpoints (As I always have valid NCT/Tax/Insurance). I think the reason is because I don't act the muppet in my car, I obey the rules of the road. Because of this i've never been the cause of attention to the Gardai. Oh I also don't have a w4nker 'going nowhere' loud exhaust, although its not the OE system

Different strokes.. I was told by a guard that I must be doing ''very well for myself'' at a tax/insurance checkpoint a few years back. It was none of his business if I can pi55 diamonds and sell it to Arabs to pay for my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 signs

Big Balls wrote:
    Different strokes.. I was told by a guard that I must be doing ''very well for myself'' at a tax/insurance checkpoint a few years back. It was none of his business if I can pi55 diamonds and sell it to Arabs to pay for my car.

I've had a similar experience, but it was more pure envy, than jealousy.

I was in a crash with a double decker bus (they're fault, of course) last year, and when the Garda came, the bus driver started giving it loads to them, saying the usual like he's only young, whats he doing driving that kind of car etc. The guard told him to do one. When the bus driver went after passing his info, the guard had a genuine chat, and basically said he was mad at older drivers putting down young people, I said guard I'm thirty, he said Jesus, I hope when I'm thirty I've a similar lifestyle etc. Dead sound he was, not like some i've met before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

signs wrote:
    I've had a similar experience, but it was more pure envy, than jealousy.

I was in a crash with a double decker bus (they're fault, of course) last year, and when the Garda came, the bus driver started giving it loads to them, saying the usual like he's only young, whats he doing driving that kind of car etc. The guard told him to do one. When the bus driver went after passing his info, the guard had a genuine chat, and basically said he was mad at older drivers putting down young people, I said guard I'm thirty, he said Jesus, I hope when I'm thirty I've a similar lifestyle etc. Dead sound he was, not like some i've met before.

A bus driver considered a 30 year old young?? LOL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Big Nelly wrote:
    I think if you check there is probably a very good reason why they are stopping you

Well then perhaps you might enlighten me as to what that reason is? Because they cops themselves never seemed to know.

"Who are ya"
    "Where are ye goin'"
    "Is this your car"
    "did you just throw cannabis out yer window"

Yep, top drawer policing indeed. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mightyone

I don't havea sumped up car. got a mate of mine who is a guard to check how many times my car has been stopped on there system and it was logged once think theres alot of guards on power trips. also respect all the rules of the road esp. those roundabout ones which no one seems to give a sh1t about. No points either. Just wait until the 1st of April and ever young driver in the country will have have about 6 before they know it. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mightyone wrote:
    I don't havea sumped up car. got a mate of mine who is a guard to check how many times my car has been stopped on there system and it was logged once think theres alot of guards on power trips. also respect all the rules of the road esp. those roundabout ones which no one seems to give a sh1t about. No points either. Just wait until the 1st of April and ever young driver in the country will have have about 6 before they know it. :v:

Must get my Sergant friend to check the catalouge to see if my car has ever been queried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

kbannon wrote:
    On a 2nd 'B' provisional our government deem you to be good enough to drive on unsupervised.
    See http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html

If you fail your test and then have to apply for a third or fourth provisional license you are back in the situation where you have to have a fully licensed driver in the car with you. Not many people know this but the government reckons that if you fail your test you need to have an experienced driver with you till you can pass the test. Makes some sense

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Savman wrote:
    Well then perhaps you might enlighten me as to what that reason is? Because they cops themselves never seemed to know.

"Who are ya"
    "Where are ye goin'"
    "Is this your car"

The guards know the answers to most of the questions they ask you. The only reason they ask you is to see if you lie about anything, and if you do, they'll come down on ya like a ton of bricks. Doesnt matter what you've done, if you lie about it, expect to get the full whack. If you're honest with them, they'll treat you as good as they can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no obligation on you to stop for an unmarked car. Also a garda that is not in uniform has no power to stop you.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    There is no obligation on you to stop for an unmarked car. Also a garda that is not in uniform has no power to stop you.

have you a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kbannon wrote:
    have you a source for this?

Don't think the source matters much, tbh. Looks like a consensus, that once you got yourself a 'nice' set of wheels, short of unloading a 12 bore into the late-at-night-suspiciously-tailgating-car (:D ), you ain't gonna stop for blue lights or what else unless it's a genuine Panda.

I know I wouldn't - Court/Judge/riot act to follow, or otherwise. Done it once in UK and wasn't faulted for it (led them a good 5 miles, at speed - they must have thought I was an escaped convict or something by the end of it :rolleyes:- in my drive :D ).

Nearly done it once here, around Rathfarnham/Ballyboden, as unmarked red focus came out of nowhere on my ass and two civies in it looked right brutes - but then it was Saturday mid-afternoon, nice clear day with plenty of passign traffic, so I did stop: they proved to be downright mugs, and I can only surmise they were envious/jealous of the car (I was driving the mx-5 top down) and decided to try & ruin my day - I ruined theirs instead :D

That said, I've also been stopped at checkpoints late at night, and the Garda there have always been absolutely A-OK & very civil, so there ya go.

grand - I just don't want me or my significant other to be punished for looking after our own personal safety.
    I'll keep driving and tell them that some guy on the internet told me to keep driving. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Savman wrote:

"Who are ya"
    "Where are ye goin'"
    "Is this your car"

Maybe you should ask yourself why are they stopping you all the time, not complain about the Garda because they are doing there job.

You never answered my question. Why do they stop you all the time and I never get stopped? again as I mentioned I don't think its a Garda problem only a problem with the people they are dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive never been stoped by the gards for anything out of the ordinary . just a lil chat while they look at my body kit wheels and my tax/ins

they then ask for my lisence . the only one that ever gave me a bit of hassel looked like he was just out of school and had a big chip on his shoulder . i prefer seeing the age 30+ gards around as they never seem to carry the chip with them . ive never had probloms with them ever .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Bond-007 wrote:
    There is no obligation on you to stop for an unmarked car.

Absolute rubbish.

109.—(1) A person driving a vehicle in a public place shall stop the vehicle on being so required by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

111.—Where, in exercise of any power or the performance of any duty conferred or imposed by or under this Act, any member of the Garda Síochána makes in a public place a request, requirement or demand of, or gives an instruction to, any person, such person shall not be bound to comply with the request, requirement, demand or instruction unless the member either—

( a ) is in uniform, or

( b ) produces, if requested by such person, an official identification card or such other evidence of his identity as may be prescribed.

Gardai in unmarked cars are either normal unarmed Gardai in uniform or else are armed detectives in plain clothes. On activating blue lights or siren this is a direct sign for you to stop your vehicle.

If you fail to do this you can be prosecuted for failing to stop.

Just to note, Gardai are allowed to use reasonable force to stop a vehicle that is failing to stop.

Chief--- wrote:
    Just to note, Gardai are allowed to use reasonable force to stop a vehicle that is failing to stop.

Yeah this is true, thats why a few years ago when joyriding was alot more commen and Garda where suddenly all driving Izuzu Trooper with huge bullbars on the front of them to run you off the road

I used to drive one of them and I can tell you it would have no problem slamming you off the road, my mum crashed one into a telegraph pole and the pole was in sh*t but the bullbar had only a few marks on it. God knows what you would be like if one hit you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

109.—(1) A person driving a vehicle in a public place shall stop the vehicle on being so required by a member of the Garda Síochána.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

111.—Where, in exercise of any power or the performance of any duty conferred or imposed by or under this Act, any member of the Garda Síochána makes in a public place a request, requirement or demand of, or gives an instruction to, any person, such person shall not be bound to comply with the request, requirement, demand or instruction unless the member either—

( a ) is in uniform, or

( b ) produces, if requested by such person, an official identification card or such other evidence of his identity as may be prescribed.
    So where does it say that sticking a blue flashing light on top of the car is "evidence of his identity"? Or is he supposed to wave his ID card out of the window at you?

I suppose that is something you would have to try and convince a judge.

You saw a car behind you with a blue light flashing and sirens blaring and did not know who it was...

Might work i suppose.

Big Nelly wrote:
    You never answered my question. Why do they stop you all the time and I never get stopped?

You never read my last post, obviously. You're asking me to speculate as to WHY the fools stop me, maybe it's cos I'm in a mondeo and they think I'm a special branch buddy of theirs or maybe its because I'm under 30 years of age, shock horror :rolleyes:

You seem to be incinuating that I'm attracting their attention, I really wish you'd open your mind, for just a minute, to the possibility that they are out with nothing to do and have to just pull over cars to make themselves seem busy (or just trying to get lucky that I'm robbing brinks allied warehouses :eek: )

• Advertisement

Pixel8 wrote:
    The guards know the answers to most of the questions they ask you. The only reason they ask you is to see if you lie about anything, and if you do, they'll come down on ya like a ton of bricks. Doesnt matter what you've done, if you lie about it, expect to get the full whack. If you're honest with them, they'll treat you as good as they can...

Really, so they know the answers? That's good 'cos I thought they were just acting stoopid, they must be far cleverer than me :D

bah

Savman wrote:
    You never read my last post, obviously. You're asking me to speculate as to WHY the fools stop me, maybe it's cos I'm in a mondeo and they think I'm a special branch buddy of theirs or maybe its because I'm under 30 years of age, shock horror :rolleyes:

You seem to be incinuating that I'm attracting their attention, I really wish you'd open your mind, for just a minute, to the possibility that they are out with nothing to do and have to just pull over cars to make themselves seem busy (or just trying to get lucky that I'm robbing brinks allied warehouses :eek: )

Well Im under 30, drive a Passat and never get stopped. My point is that I never get stopped even thou on the road over 20k miles a year and have been driving for over 10 years. This includes starting in a jeep when 17 and the Garda never stopped me then either, so why are they stopping you?

They don't just pull people over to look busy, if they did Im sure at some stage over the last 10+ years they would have pulled me considering the milage I do. My brothers have not got pulled over either and both of them do at least the same milage if not more every year.

Chief--- wrote:
    I suppose that is something you would have to try and convince a judge.

You saw a car behind you with a blue light flashing and sirens blaring and did not know who it was...

Might work i suppose.
    You forgot your [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags :)

No one mentioned sirens .. do unmarked cars have sirens? Didn't think so. Can any old scrote buy a blue flashing light off eBay? Yes.

Look, if this happened to me in broad daylight on a busy road with plenty of people around (i.e. witnesses), and they looked kosher enough, then I'd probably stop. If it was un unmarked car with plain clothes guards in it, I'd still ask for ID, as is my right to do so, though. At 3 o'clock in the morning, with no one else around, and only a flashing light as 'identification' he can forget it, quite frankly.

Of course unmarked cards have sirens. Thats how detectives respond to emergency (armed) incidents.

Chief--- wrote:
    Of course unmarked cards have sirens. Thats how detectives respond to emergency (armed) incidents.
    "Of course" ? I wouldn't have said it was that self-evident to be honest, never having witnessed any police armed response situations myself.

Anyway, in other countries unmarked police cars, especially those used for traffic duties, also have big illuminated "POLICE" signs that flip up from the rear parcel shelf. Maybe that'd be an idea for here.

I personally had a car flash a blue light behind me once when I was overtaking on the n3 Blanch bypass outbound. Once I finished overtaking the car behind (it looked like a skyline) sped past and up the shopping centre slip road cutting in front of me.
    There were two young fellas in the front and I have no doubt that they were not gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Alun wrote:
    "Of course" ? I wouldn't have said it was that self-evident to be honest, never having witnessed any police armed response situations myself.

Anyway, in other countries unmarked police cars, especially those used for traffic duties, also have big illuminated "POLICE" signs that flip up from the rear parcel shelf. Maybe that'd be an idea for here.

Re Flashing blue lights - Many of the unmarked cars have auxiliary blue flashing lights in addition to the removeable roof light. There are usually two in the front grill, one on each rear pillar and another on the centre of the dashboard at the base of the windscreen.

Re 'Police' signs - I've seen an unmarked car with "Garda Stop" illuninated in red moving text on the rear window. It was a red Ford Mondeo ST2000? with beautiful 18" alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Litcagral wrote:
    Re 'Police' signs - I've seen an unmarked car with "Garda Stop" illuninated in red moving text on the rear window. It was a red Ford Mondeo ST2000? with beautiful 18" alloys.

Is that a black/dark-blue Mondeo usually in the Liffey Valley area ? Lovely looking car. They have blue strobes in the small reversing-lamp lenses too. Very discrete car.

I get pulled over regularly, mainly by unmarked cars south of the border. In my yellow-reg, if it's in Dublin I'd get stopped by Gards once a week on average. I've taken to keeping a sheaf of bills/statements in the car along with my Northern driving license. In my Irish-reg motor, I have never been stopped north of the border.

I'm no angel of course, but do drive carefully, so I think the only reason I get stopped is because of tax reasons. The cops are always courteous though, and once they see the car and papers are in order, they let me go on. I don't mind it at all, I have nothing to hide, and it only adds a few minutes to my journey. If the cops catch out some uninsured or drunk drivers by random stops then it's thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

franksm wrote:
    Is that a black/dark-blue Mondeo usually in the Liffey Valley area ? Lovely looking car. They have blue strobes in the small reversing-lamp lenses too. Very discrete car.QUOTE]

Red one (see post:)) I saw it in the Slane area and on the M1 at Dunleer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't have experience of this personally, but my uncle (plays in a band and is a non drinker) was coming home from a gig at 3 one morning doing 80 in a 60 zone- thought it was safe enough as no other traffic around, was stopped (fair enough) and got 2 points, half hour later a guy passes him, takes root on the middle of the white line swerving from side to side of it, where were they then!!!

And Here BIG NELLY: i've a cousin a Garda, an uncle a Detective Super and a friend who's dad is a retired branch man, they'll all tell you there's people in the force who do stop people just for being/looking young and that there are some real w4nkers out there on a mission to ruin some youngfella's day, they rarely get promoted because they're such w4nkers and are bitter because of this so continue to be a pain in the rear end or rear view mirror as the case may be.

It's not a helpful attitude to take, and won't do u any favours if you are in the wrong. but technically a Garda is not in uniform without his cap on and can't caution you without it, unless of a rank (det.) where it is not a requirement;)

Advertisement