Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai Stopping you for no reason

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Savman wrote:
    You never read my last post, obviously. You're asking me to speculate as to WHY the fools stop me, maybe it's cos I'm in a mondeo and they think I'm a special branch buddy of theirs or maybe its because I'm under 30 years of age, shock horror :rolleyes:

You seem to be incinuating that I'm attracting their attention, I really wish you'd open your mind, for just a minute, to the possibility that they are out with nothing to do and have to just pull over cars to make themselves seem busy (or just trying to get lucky that I'm robbing brinks allied warehouses :eek: )

There are several reasons why you may be stopped. Generally the Garda will run a reg check to his controller via radio before pulling you over. This usually explains why they follow a car for a while. The radio check will give the registered owner, the tax and insurance details and expiry dates. It will also give all relevant details pertaining to that vehicle eg change of ownership, involved in accidents, ever stolen, involvement in criminal activity, convictions of driver or passengers, traffic convictions and cautions etc. When the Garda approaches the driver he will, as other posters have said, know what answers to expect. The short discussions usually involve simple questions like 'where are you going to/coming from'? 'are you the owner of this vehicle'? Someone who has just stolen the car is likely to get a bit twitchy. If you have recently bought your car, it may still be registered to another owner on the Garda system. Your car may also have matched a vehicle that had been involved in a serious crime. They may only have part of the registration and need to check all cars matching it.

Re the Gardai have nothing better to be doing: Some people seem to be under the impression that the Gardai spend their time playing cards in the station waiting for calls to come in. They do not work independently but are assigned prioritised call by a controller. They frequently have a backlog of assigned calls to get through and are required to radio their control for a refreshment break. This is not always granted. I certainly don't think that they need to "keep themselves busy". I get the impression that they work very hard and always find them to be courteous and polite in my dealings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Litcagral wrote:
    [Red one (see post:)) I saw it in the Slane area and on the M1 at Dunleer.

Whoops - sorry, been reading with one eye and watching Eva Longoria... I mean, Desperate Housewives with the other ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Litcagral wrote:
    There are several reasons why you may be stopped. Generally the Garda will run a reg check to his controller via radio before pulling you over. This usually explains why they follow a car for a while. The radio check will give the registered owner, the tax and insurance details and expiry dates. It will also give all relevant details pertaining to that vehicle eg change of ownership, involved in accidents, ever stolen, involvement in criminal activity, convictions of driver or passengers, traffic convictions and cautions etc. When the Garda approaches the driver he will, as other posters have said, know what answers to expect. The short discussions usually involve simple questions like 'where are you going to/coming from'? 'are you the owner of this vehicle'? Someone who has just stolen the car is likely to get a bit twitchy. If you have recently bought your car, it may still be registered to another owner on the Garda system. Your car may also have matched a vehicle that had been involved in a serious crime. They may only have part of the registration and need to check all cars matching it.

Duly noted. In fact in some cases the officer was decent enough to say "oh we just had report of an incident with a car similar to yours" - that's fine and off I go glad to be of assistance.

But that's not the scenario I'm talkin about, I'm referring to the roadside grilling from the cop-on-a-power-trip asking stupid questions or trying to be a joker or smartass. I don't give a toss what the officer's views are on the world and I've no interest in his joke of the day, just let him ask me whatever he needs to and let me be on my way as swiftly as possible. There is a happy medium, I just wish some of them used it every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never been stopped (except once I broke an orange light. The Garda swore it was red - I was in the wrong either way so I didn't argue :D).

Like others, I reckon if you're regularly being stopped, there's something about you or your car that's convincing the Gardai that you need to be pulled over. Perhaps a big "No Fear" sticker on the back window, or badly tinted windows.

On the going into your driveway thing - you're fairly entitled to so such. As Chief--- points out, you are obliged to stop, but the flipside of that is the Garda cannot present his I.D. unless you stop. You would be completely in your rights to find a safer place to stop (i.e. your driveway) if you weren't satisfied that the car behind was a Garda vehicle.
    Interestingly enough, it used to be law (perhaps it still is) that you couldn't be arrested in your own driveway (perhaps this was only for a traffic offence). Mate of my mum's, years ago had a friend over for a few drinks, and then dropped her home around midnight - 3 or 4 miles away. On the way back, she was flashed by a Garda car, and panicked (having had a couple of brandys), so she drove home. When the Garda car pulled in behind her, only to see a 50-something little woman with grey hair and slippers, they laughed and came in to share a cup of tea with her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Alun wrote:
    "Of course" ? I wouldn't have said it was that self-evident to be honest, never having witnessed any police armed response situations myself.

Anyway, in other countries unmarked police cars, especially those used for traffic duties, also have big illuminated "POLICE" signs that flip up from the rear parcel shelf. Maybe that'd be an idea for here.

How would a flip up sign on the rear parcel shelf help ID an unmarked car behind you?

Do you live in Dublin? Have you never heard the siren going on an unmarked? I was in the city centre for an hour yesterday and saw two unmarked cars with lights flashing an sirens running.

When you get stopped do the gards have the ability to put notes against your registration? This whole thing where some people get stopped regulary and some don't always confused me. The only explanation I can think of is this. The people posting here complaining that they get stopped all the time seem to have one thing in common, they don't like the gardai, I think that is fairly clear. I think it is also fairly likely that this dislike will come out in thier interactions with them. They may try to hide it or they may not, either way I am sure the gardai see it enough to be able to spot it. Perhaps the gardai have an "asshole" flag they can put against a registration which ensures it gets special attention?

This of course assumes that there is no other reason to stop them like they were driving like pricks or anything like that.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

franksm wrote:
    Is that a black/dark-blue Mondeo usually in the Liffey Valley area ? Lovely looking car. They have blue strobes in the small reversing-lamp lenses too. Very discrete car.
    I saw that a few weeks ago being driven dangerously and and narrowly missed an impact around the N4/M50 roundabout.
    Litcagral wrote:
    Red one (see post:)) I saw it in the Slane area and on the M1 at Dunleer.
    A red one (04-D-1914 IIRC) overtook me last Saturday on the N3 at blanch and was doing about 90mph in the wet! He also had a phone stuck to his ear!

kbannon wrote:

A red one (04-D-1914 IIRC) overtook me last Saturday on the N3 at blanch and was doing about 90mph in the wet! He also had a phone stuck to his ear!
    Don't worry, he [strike]will have completed an advanced driving course[/strike] [strike]probably will have completed an advanced driving course[/strike] [strike]may have completed an advanced driving course[/strike] probably has a note from some bloke saying he is a grand driver. No doubt more than capable of driving a car at speed on a busy wet road while on the phone.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MrPudding wrote:
    How would a flip up sign on the rear parcel shelf help ID an unmarked car behind you?
    On the very few occasions when I have been pulled over by the police (not here in Ireland, admittedly), they have overtaken me first and then slammed on the "Police Stop" signs, that's how. At least then you know what you're dealing with.
    Do you live in Dublin? Have you never heard the siren going on an unmarked? I was in the city centre for an hour yesterday and saw two unmarked cars with lights flashing an sirens running.
    Near Dublin, not in it, thank God. I get into the city centre very rarely, and only when I can't avoid it, and no I can't say I've ever seen / heard sirens on unmarked cars, otherwise I wouldn't have said it, would I?

MrPudding wrote:
    When you get stopped do the gards have the ability to put notes against your registration? This whole thing where some people get stopped regulary and some don't always confused me.
    MrP

Yes, the Garda will usually update the "Catalogue", as they call it, with any relevant information he observes while talking to the occupant/s. This may explain why some people get stopped frequently. If you or your passengers intend to get cheeky with the cop there is a possiblity that this with be entered for future reference. If any of your passengers have criminal convictions, this will also be noted. If the Garda finds that the Catalogue is clear following a reg check , he is unlikely to stop the vehicle, unless of course he is checking it because it has transgressed the law in the first place.

Alun wrote:
    Near Dublin, not in it, thank God. I get into the city centre very rarely, and only when I can't avoid it, and no I can't say I've ever seen / heard sirens on unmarked cars, otherwise I wouldn't have said it, would I?

That's fair enough I suppose. Still a bit surprising though.

It was a bit strange when I was starting to drive in the north. That was about 15 years ago. Back then there were no marked cars in the North, well not on normal traffic duty anyway. If you were getting pulled over it was by an unmarked car. It was a case of drive on at your peril.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    The people posting here complaining that they get stopped all the time seem to have one thing in common, they don't like the gardai, I think that is fairly clear. I think it is also fairly likely that this dislike will come out in thier interactions with them. They may try to hide it or they may not, either way I am sure the gardai see it enough to be able to spot it. Perhaps the gardai have an "asshole" flag they can put against a registration which ensures it gets special attention?

So sitting in a parked car waiting for a colleague to finish work, that makes me an "asshole"? Or just unlucky officer what-his-name walks past the car then comes back looking confused, first walks to my passenger outside the car having a smoke then comes round to grill me. Maybe I did something wrong in that situation but god only knows because the fool didn't seem like he knew where he was. They're not all like this but some are.

Regardless about my own feelings towards the Gardai, I have never given any of them cheek in anyway and have been more than co-operative and have answered whatever ridiculous questions they conjure up. I cannot see how my vehicle could be "flagged" unless mondeos are common cars for criminals or bank robbers. Anyhow its stoopid to claim that because YOU haven't been stopped many times that anyone who has must be "assholes" - I take bloody exception to that :mad: :mad:

And I don't think its just a Dublin thing either....

Savman wrote:
    So sitting in a parked car waiting for a colleague to finish work, that makes me an "asshole"? Or just unlucky officer what-his-name walks past the car then comes back looking confused, first walks to my passenger outside the car having a smoke then comes round to grill me. Maybe I did something wrong in that situation but god only knows because the fool didn't seem like he knew where he was. They're not all like this but some are.

Regardless about my own feelings towards the Gardai, I have never given any of them cheek in anyway and have been more than co-operative and have answered whatever ridiculous questions they conjure up. I cannot see how my vehicle could be "flagged" unless mondeos are common cars for criminals or bank robbers. Anyhow its stoopid to claim that because YOU haven't been stopped many times that anyone who has must be "assholes" - I take bloody exception to that :mad: :mad:

And I don't think its just a Dublin thing either....

I was merely pointing out that the people in this thread that say they get stopped all the time come accross a certain way. That's all. Coincidence? Maybe, but's let's face it, probably not.

I mean look at this:
    savman wrote:
    Really, so they know the answers? That's good 'cos I thought they were just acting stoopid, they must be far cleverer than me

savman wrote:
    You're asking me to speculate as to WHY the fools stop me,
    savman wrote:
    God, I hate the Gardai

You come accross really well I can't see what the problem would be.:rolleyes:

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ninty9er wrote:
    I don't have experience of this personally, but my uncle (plays in a band and is a non drinker) was coming home from a gig at 3 one morning doing 80 in a 60 zone- thought it was safe enough as no other traffic around, was stopped (fair enough) and got 2 points, half hour later a guy passes him, takes root on the middle of the white line swerving from side to side of it, where were they then!!!

Everyone has a story like this, only last Sunday was on the N3 and this 04 white mitsubishi(boy racer) was in front of me. The driver was all over the road and was drifting in and out of lanes. Everyone could see and 3-4 cars and me where staying well back, turned off in towards Blanch centre(same way as me) so I followed up staying a good distance back. Anyway was heading up to centre and then before roundabout decides he wants to go into centre. Big swerve and up onto the foot path and everything before he got car back under control.

Went thru roundabout and on other side, cops have a lovely BMW stopped for speeding. Was going to stop to tell them about the other bloke but place wasn't safe to pull up so drove on.
    ninty9er wrote:
    And Here BIG NELLY: i've a cousin a Garda, an uncle a Detective Super and a friend who's dad is a retired branch man, they'll all tell you there's people in the force who do stop people just for being/looking young and that there are some real w4nkers out there on a mission to ruin some youngfella's day, they rarely get promoted because they're such w4nkers and are bitter because of this so continue to be a pain in the rear end or rear view mirror as the case may be.

It's not a helpful attitude to take, and won't do u any favours if you are in the wrong. but technically a Garda is not in uniform without his cap on and can't caution you without it, unless of a rank (det.) where it is not a requirement;)

Whats with the bold thing? you have a cousin and an Uncle who seem to have a problem with other Garda? so! that means nothing. For all you know your uncle/cousin could be seen by the public as the worst Garda every.

I am talking about general Garda around the country when I have ever had to deal with either in a Garda/public manner. Never had a problem with there atitude and never been stopped without the Garda having a reason.

Read back through my posts, my point is that if you are constantly getting stopped there is a reason for this. Not that a Garda know your license, passes it onto his mates so they can all drive aorund the road looking to stop you ASAP

MrPudding wrote:
    You come accross really well I can't see what the problem would be.:rolleyes:

MrP

wow! :eek: :eek:
    ...editing quotes competely out of context for the purpose of making your point seem valid, you should be working for Channel 4's Dispatches :rolleyes:

Some of them are fools, some act stoopid, that's not untrue. As for me "hating gardai" - if you read the thread in question you might see cynical humour, but there ain't no accounting for taste I guess.

I could do a search for all your previous quotes, but I just couldn't be bothered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Savman wrote:
    Really, so they know the answers? That's good 'cos I thought they were just acting stoopid, they must be far cleverer than me :D

bah

It sounds like they are alright! :p

Well the only reason left that you could be getting pulled for is that you look dodgy... so tell us, on a scale of 1 - 10, how dodgy looking would you say you look?

Why did you buy a mondeo anyway? There was a time, for a while, that lots of knackers were buying mondeo's coz the guards drove them, and they thought they wouldnt get pulled just coz they were in a mondeo, are you one of these? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are also forgetting the burberry factor. Do you or your friends wear such clothing?

Bond-007 wrote:
    You are also forgetting the burberry factor. Do you or your friends wear such clothing?

Or as a Garda recently said on Crimeline - "Blueberry". :D

Bond-007 wrote:

:rolleyes:

Pixel8 wrote:
    Why did you buy a mondeo anyway? There was a time, for a while, that lots of knackers were buying mondeo's coz the guards drove them, and they thought they wouldnt get pulled just coz they were in a mondeo, are you one of these? :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bond-007 wrote:

Aha, i think this is closer to the bone that what you drive or how you drive. I think the areas that you've just come out of has a lot to do with it. I do honestly believe that if you drive out of certain areas, you are a hell of a lot more likely to be stopped. I personally lived in Coolock for a long time, and this happened all the time, but when driving around nicer parts of Dublin, I was never stopped. Savman, where are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

ninty9er wrote:

It's not a helpful attitude to take, and won't do u any favours if you are in the wrong. but technically a Garda is not in uniform without his cap on and can't caution you without it, unless of a rank (det.) where it is not a requirement;)

Just to clarify this statement has absolutely no truth in it at all.

Archeron wrote:
    I think the areas that you've just come out of has a lot to do with it. I do honestly believe that if you drive out of certain areas, you are a hell of a lot more likely to be stopped. I personally lived in Coolock for a long time, and this happened all the time, but when driving around nicer parts of Dublin, I was never stopped. Savman, where are you from?

You could be right there mister, although not everyone driving around Ballymun is a drug dealer :D

However, I don't see why I should have to put up with social discrimination. I lived in Ballymun for years and I witnessed first hand the total impotence of the Gardai to do anything so I have to laugh when people say they're really doing such a great job. It couldn't be further from the truth, I've sinced moved out of the area but I'm back there regularly and nothing's changed, there's a handful of scumbags ruining the place and the local "law enforcement" do absolutely nothing about it most of the time.

So I guess you could say I have an issue with the Gardai, but my problems are well founded so when they pull me over to ask me stupid questions I can't help thinking I'm just a time filler between doghnut breaks :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, many officers are decent trying to do a hard job, but I've come across more than a few who don't do the force any favours in the eyes of the public. Funny when they do these "Gardai Public Satisfaction Surveys" they come out looking like roses when in reality very few people in Ballymun, Finglas etc would be anywhere near "satisfied" with the level protection they receive. Sorry for going slightly off topic, but it's a joke.

Also for the record and for the morons who posted earlier, I own no burberry clothes, I've never modified my motor for performance, I don't race in Mondello and I don't own a horse although if I did I don't see how that would make any difference unless to add to a stereotype in your eyes :rolleyes:

Savman wrote:
    So I guess you could say I have an issue with the Gardai, but my problems are well founded so when they pull me over to ask me stupid questions I can't help thinking I'm just a time filler between doghnut breaks :rolleyes:
    I love this. If they didn't bother concentrating efforts in Ballymun, and brought out stats showing that the worse crime-hit areas were also the places where you were least likely to be stopped by the Gardai, you'd probably make some comment along the lines of, "They're too busy eating doughnuts", or "They're only interested in protecting the roysh heads".

If you drive through a dodgy area, you're more likely to get stopped. Shocking :rolleyes:
    Deal with it. It's social discrimination, but discrimination is only wrong if it's unjustified. You even point out yourself that Ballymun is dodgy, ergo the discrimination is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Savman wrote:
    You could be right there mister, although not everyone driving around Ballymun is a drug dealer :D

However, I don't see why I should have to put up with social discrimination. I lived in Ballymun for years and I witnessed first hand the total impotence of the Gardai to do anything so I have to laugh when people say they're really doing such a great job. It couldn't be further from the truth, I've sinced moved out of the area but I'm back there regularly and nothing's changed, there's a handful of scumbags ruining the place and the local "law enforcement" do absolutely nothing about it most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, many officers are decent trying to do a hard job, but I've come across more than a few who don't do the force any favours in the eyes of the public. Funny when they do these "Gardai Public Satisfaction Surveys" they come out looking like roses when in reality very few people in Ballymun, Finglas etc would be anywhere near "satisfied" with the level protection they receive. Sorry for going slightly off topic, but it's a joke.

Also for the record and for the morons who posted earlier, I own no burberry clothes, I've never modified my motor for performance, I don't race in Mondello and I don't own a horse although if I did I don't see how that would make any difference unless to add to a stereotype in your eyes :rolleyes:

As I said all along that you would find that it wasn't the Garda fault but the person they are dealing with. You have just backed htis up you have issues with the Garda so I would say there is a reason they are stopping you and problem then have to deal with your atitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Savman wrote:

Doesnt make any difference, you could have a modified horse with a burberry blanket that you DO race in Mondello, still no excuse for stopping you for no reason. Being stopped once or twice, fair enough,they have to scope you out and see if you;re up to anything dodgy. After that, I honestly think its just power tripping. When I used to be stopped in a clonked out (but roadworthy) old corolla, it would be the same guards, and the same bloody questions. Is this your car, did you steal this car, who are the boys in the back, where do you live, what do you do, who are your parents etc. Not to mention shoving a bloody torch halfway up your nose when they're talking to you. I got p*ssed off with it, but there was feck all I could do, so just put up with it til I moved. As for the gardai performing their jobs, i agree that most are really cool, but some........ I'd be stopped on my way for a game of pool with the usual interrogation, and not 10 minutes later, a very well known drug dealer would cruise up the road in his black merc with tinted windows and openly sell hard drugs to whoever would buy them. Was he ever stopped? Was he f*ck.
    And as for "justified discrimination" is that not a contradiction in terms?
    Dont want to turn this into a snobs against scumbags thing, but if you're from a more well to do area, and you've never been stopped, please keep in mind it could have a lot to do with certain people not being impressed with having checkpoints in "their" estates. However, if you're a factory worker/unemployed/low paid worker, who are you going to complain to? No-one, hence the power trippers setting their roadblocks up in the so called lower class estates. I do respect the guards, the roads, other users of the road, and I dont drive a muppet mobile, but you have to admit that SOME cops out there are complete idiots who get their rocks off picking on kids in cars. Because they know they can.

Archeron wrote:
    Is this your car, did you steal this car, who are the boys in the back, etc.

The Gardai will regularly run a reg check and stop any car with several males on board. Experience probably tells them that they are more likely to be suspicious. This does not just happen here. You are much more likely to be stopped in NI if you are carrying several male passengers

a very well known drug dealer would cruise up the road in his black merc with tinted windows and openly sell hard drugs to whoever would buy them. Was he ever stopped? Was he f*ck.
    QUOTE]

I presume, if you are a law abiding citizen, you reported this illegal activity.

seamus wrote:
    ergo the discrimination is justified.

That's probably the most foolish post I've ever read on boards.

Have a look here: http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=discrimination&btnG=Google+Search and tell me ANY case or set of circumstances where "discrimination is justified" - I doubt you'll find any authoritive source that agrees with that statement.

Big Nelly wrote:
    You have just backed htis up you have issues with the Garda so I would say there is a reason they are stopping you and problem then have to deal with your atitude.

What attitude? If you actually read my posts instead of marvelling over your own you will see that I clearly stated I have never been anything other than Mr. Helpful anytime an officer asked me for information. Even in circumstances where that officer may have been an arrogant prick I've kept my cool when a lot of people would've got irritable.

I'll show them the very same respect they show me, no more, no less. Same goes for anyone else, I have no problem with individual gardai, my issues lie with the organisation itself which you seem to think is a shining example of perfection. Maybe when the karmic wheel comes round it'll be your turn to be stopped a few times and perhaps your opinion will change then, when you've had to listen to a power-trippy copper or two. Until that day I guess it's fruitless continuing this discussion with you 'cos it's kinda run its course.

Toodles :D

Savman wrote:
    "discrimination is justified"
    Children can't own guns, drink alcohol or drive vehicles.

Sounds justified to me.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Children can't own guns, drink alcohol or drive vehicles.

Sounds justified to me.

:confused:

Advertisement