Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Star: Van Halen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

what happened with van halen and david lee roth? did the van halen brothers call the shots or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I'm a huge Van Halen fan but I have to say this is kinda sad. I'm sure that they could find a replacement singer no problem without doing all that bull$hit, but like someone said on blabbermouth, it's a great way for them to get a new audience. Lets face it, reality TV pulls in the punters and anyone who gets hooked on the show, and I'm sure there'll be millions, will go out and buy the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well it would be good publicity, and maybe people will go out and buy the old material, which would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Can I go for the audition? Where is it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Bit of a sell out though isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Quite sad,
    I am a huge VH fan, any of the stuff without DLR is fairly ****. The Van Hagar days were pretty sad aswell. Good to see Eddie back after his cancer scare a few years ago although i hear he has gone off the rails since splitting with the wife and hitting the bottle hard again. Would love to see Dave back and for them to play over here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Blisterman wrote:
    Well it would be good publicity, and maybe people will go out and buy the old material, which would be good.

Totally. It'd be great to see a new generation of Van Halen fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'd like to see this show for the laugh although the only Van Halen i listen to is the DLR stuff. You can be sure whatever this show produces musically will be poor but it might be entertaining to watch purely as train wreck tv.

anyone into the DLR VH days should pick up his autoboigraphy, crazy from the heat which is goin for a fiver in HMV at the mo, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

DLR should never have been sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Meh. Van Halen never did anything for me. At least unlike INXS they're not offensively ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Maybe DLR should audition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

To be fair David Lee Roth is a bit of a knobber, and I'm glad they got rid of him. His cover of California Girls was awesome though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Bit of a sell out though isn't it?

I'm a van halen fan but come on.........they were sold out from the beginning

Thanks lads for answering my question....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Giblet wrote:
    Maybe DLR should audition.

I agree with you totally, i didnt go for the whole INXS Rock Star thing but i totally dig the fact that David Lee Roth just turn up and say he wants to audition for Van Halen.

Then Gary Cherone would walk in and go, 'I dont look so bad now do I?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Rockee wrote:
    what happened with van halen and david lee roth? did the van halen brothers call the shots or what?

DLR was fired in 1984 and recorded solo stuff afterwards

Soon after Hagar's departure, David Lee Roth entered the studio with the Van Halen brothers, Michael Anthony, and producer Glen Ballard. Two songs from those sessions were added to the band's Greatest Hits album (with the Roth single "Me Wise Magic" reaching #1 on the mainstream rock chart; the album The Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1 was #1 on the pop charts). However, Eddie and Alex were still auditioning other singers — among them unknown singer Mitch Malloy. Malloy would reveal years later that, during this time, Eddie had hired him for the job. By September, however, David Lee Roth and the rest of the band were asked to present an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards. On September 4, 1996, the four original members of Van Halen made their first public appearance together in over eleven years, presenting an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards. This appearance was greeted with a standing ovation, and fueled hopeful speculation for a reunion tour. However, old wounds were reopened; while doing backstage interviews with the media, Roth told Eddie not to talk about personal issues such as Eddie's hip replacement. According to Eddie, Roth was very rude and self-centered, causing the relationship between them to sour once again. Mitch Malloy revealed several years later that immediately after the awards, he told Eddie that he did not want to be the lead singer of Van Halen because the public appearance with Dave made it impossible for any other singer to be successful with the group. Several weeks after the awards show, the public and media became aware that Roth would not be reuniting with the band. At this time, Roth released a media statement where he apologized to the media and the fans, stating that he was an unwitting participant in a publicity stunt perpetrated by the Van Halens and Ray Daniels (their manager) in order to sell more copies of the greatest hits album. The next day, Eddie and Alex Van Halen released their own statement, stressing that they were completely honest with Roth and never led him to believe that he was guaranteed to be the next lead singer

DLR was fired in 1984 and recorded solo stuff afterwards

Soon after Hagar's departure, David Lee Roth entered the studio with the Van Halen brothers, Michael Anthony, and producer Glen Ballard. Two songs from those sessions were added to the band's Greatest Hits album (with the Roth single "Me Wise Magic" reaching #1 on the mainstream rock chart; the album The Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1 was #1 on the pop charts). However, Eddie and Alex were still auditioning other singers — among them unknown singer Mitch Malloy. Malloy would reveal years later that, during this time, Eddie had hired him for the job. By September, however, David Lee Roth and the rest of the band were asked to present an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards. On September 4, 1996, the four original members of Van Halen made their first public appearance together in over eleven years, presenting an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards. This appearance was greeted with a standing ovation, and fueled hopeful speculation for a reunion tour. However, old wounds were reopened; while doing backstage interviews with the media, Roth told Eddie not to talk about personal issues such as Eddie's hip replacement. According to Eddie, Roth was very rude and self-centered, causing the relationship between them to sour once again. Mitch Malloy revealed several years later that immediately after the awards, he told Eddie that he did not want to be the lead singer of Van Halen because the public appearance with Dave made it impossible for any other singer to be successful with the group. Several weeks after the awards show, the public and media became aware that Roth would not be reuniting with the band. At this time, Roth released a media statement where he apologized to the media and the fans, stating that he was an unwitting participant in a publicity stunt perpetrated by the Van Halens and Ray Daniels (their manager) in order to sell more copies of the greatest hits album. The next day, Eddie and Alex Van Halen released their own statement, stressing that they were completely honest with Roth and never led him to believe that he was guaranteed to be the next lead singer

Thanking you....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So what happened with Gary Cherone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Van Halen? Soooooo 1980s'! (they were great at the time 1977-1984)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TipTopToe

mike65 wrote:
    Van Halen? Soooooo 1980s'! (they were great at the time 1977-1984)

Mike.
    I miss the hair most :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

heres a pic of eddie van halen taken a couple of nights ago...smokes, booze and smack have really taken their toll.

eddie-van-halen.jpg

Advertisement