Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo 1.8 100bhp/125bhp???

Options
  • 13-02-2006 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

How do you tell if a Mondeo 1.8 is a 100bhp or a 125bhp model??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Easy.

The 1.8 LX petrol version has 110bhp, whilst the 1.8 Zetec petrol has 125bhp, and is much livelier.

No modern petrol Mondeo has 100bhp.

The diesels range from 90 -130bhp btw. The Zetec TDCI 115bhp being probably the best compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

cheers

I'm testinga 1.8 zetec "executive" which as far as I can tell means it has different wheels... so I wanted to be sure which 1.8 it had (sorry that should have been 110, its the 1.6 thats is 100)... anyway to be sure by lookig in the engine bay??

And I've a 115 TDCi to check tonight, 01 plate, NCT to 10/07...

can Ford diesels be chipped like their VAG friends??

same question how do you tell the 115 from the 130 TDCi ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cheers

I'm testinga 1.8 zetec "executive" which as far as I can tell means it has different wheels... so I wanted to be sure which 1.8 it had (sorry that should have been 110, its the 1.6 thats is 100)... anyway to be sure by lookig in the engine bay??

And I've a 115 TDCi to check tonight, 01 plate, NCT to 10/07...

can Ford diesels be chipped like their VAG friends??

This is a bit confusing....

AFAIK the Executive version in petrol was a 2 litre. c. 135 bhp. All the toys.

The only Mondeo in a 1.6 was the Mk1 version which only had 90bhp. All the Mk2's are 1.8 (110 & 125 bhp).

They (diesels) can be chipped but I wouldn't bother. It could adversely affect your insurance. Anything from 115bhp and up is fine. The 90bhp version struggles tbh. TDCI is good and the older generation tddi and td engines are way inferior.

The vehicle documentation will show engine and chassis no's. Check these against the car, and a HPI check will tell you all you need to know.

same question how do you tell the 115 from the 130 TDCi ??

I'm not sure off hand. The 130bhp engine is rare as yet on the 2nd hand market.

I'd get the engine no. and call whichever dealer supplied it and ask.

• Advertisement

cheers mate

rioth this s a 2001 car, I thought the 115 TDCI only came in 02...hence my worry that its a TDDI... any way to tell these 2 apart!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know there is also a 1.8 SCi 130bhp petrol engine in the Mondeo since 2004. It is only available here in Ghia model however.

I think the 130bhp TDCi was only available in the Executive and Ghia models too. The same engine is available in the Mazda 6 afaik. If I'm not mistaken I think this is a PSA unit.

There is also a 155bhp 2.2 TDCi now available in the Mondeo since late 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cheers mate

rioth this s a 2001 car, I thought the 115 TDCI only came in 02...hence my worry that its a TDDI... any way to tell these 2 apart!!!

The TDCi (115bhp) was only available with the Zetec model back in 2001 afaik.

The Zetec has alloy wheels, colour coded door handles, front fog lights, electric windows allround, electric mirrors and titanium centre console. It should also have the Zetec and TDCi badges on the boot.

The TDDi (100bhp) was only available in the LX model which has no alloy wheels, black door handles, no rear electric windows or door mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The type of engine you are dealing with is normally stamped on the tappet cover. and the Kw/bhp (really PS) is also normally on a big sticker inside the engne bay somewhere (on the foci it is on the intercooler ducting).

It is possible to get an LX with the 115ps engine, so the trim level isnt the best indicator.

The type of engine you are dealing with is normally stamped on the tappet cover

and so it was...

We decided that a 30K 1.8 petrol was the better deal at the same price as an 85K 2.0 TDDI... a bit clattery for me and something was off in the steering, not tracking, it tracked straight and braked striaght - felt like intermittant power streering assistance inteh bends.

So we bought a 02 1.8 zetec (125) in black, nice clean interior, a few scrapes adn stone chips, but hey its 4 years old. Well happy, needs pricey electric seat motor but otherwise all is well.

thanks for advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement