Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 156 T Spark

Options
  • 13-02-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Brother in law looked at one of those at weekends. 01. I believe they are 140 BHP. Despite all the stories of electriccal and head gasket issues, i heard a rumour recently that the biggest issue with an ALFA is sevicing costs. Is it true that service is expensive on these great engines, and also a rumour about timing belt being replaced on a more regular basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There are 3 156 T-Sparks, 1.6 120bhp, 1.8 144bhp and 2.0 150bhp. As regards servicing, the spark plugs are very expensive, and there are 8 of them instead of 4 so a service including plugs costs €€€, but the good news is that they are long life and only need changing every 60k miles. Buying second hand, make sure the cam belt and variator have been changed and there is a new set of NGK Platinum plugs. That should set your engine up for a relatively maintenance free driving for the next couple of years (except for regular oil checks and changes and it needs synthetic). Tyres, brakes and shocks will really come down to your driving, though the 156 is reputed to be pretty hard on bushings, but I've had no trouble yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

check for squeeks from the front suspension over speed humps - if so the front wishbones need changing, you cant do teh bushes on their own, its a 400 quid job

2 I56s I've seen last week had this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

Can I suggest you check this thread? There are links to about 5 or 6 Alfa threads, so you will get lots of info there.

Eoin

Advertisement