Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle/Tortoise advice

• 13-02-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all I am looking to get a turtle or tortoise, I would like some advice with regards the following.

Will I need more than 1, do they get lonely?
    What breed should I get if I am only looking for a small one?
    Can they be handled or do they hate it?
    What sort of housing should I get, considering I am willing to get more than 1 if needs be, water features, heating etc?
    What is the best food for them?
    What is the general maintenance for the little guys?

Is there a good place to buy them in Ireland? I am aware they live a long time and would really enjoy this but I'd rather be fully up to speed on taking care of them before i jump in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much space do you have? I have 6 turtles & they are HUGE - They out grew thier 4 foot x 2 foot tank - so they now live in my garden in a large paddling pool - this is temporary whilst we are building a large pond.

I have 1 tortoise a Russian Horsefield - he lives in the bottom of my iguana cage. My tortoise is a vegi - he eats a huge variety of greens & fruits every day - my turtles eat a variety of meats, ham, chicken, beef, prawns & some cheese once a week. turtles & tortoises will need a UV light & calcium & vitamins at least twice a week.

Check out anapsid.org for more advice. if you have any specific questions just yell :)

Faye Bond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was hoping to get a breed that were small enough to live in a vivarium that would fit on a table top. By the sounds of it a tortoise is the way to go. I am defo after the littlest fella i can get as i'd love a pet with this sort of life span but space sounds like it might be an issue. I have a whole table top free though so I am guessin I'd fit a pretty large habitat on that.

What would you recommend??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Go for a Russian Horsefield - they do well on a table top setting - Hermans really need lost of time outside & all torties will benefit from time outside in the summer. Also the Russian Horsefields are a tad cheeper & do not require a licence - my advice would be to go & visit some pet/reptile stores that have torties & have a good look check that eyes are bright that the animal is lively & nice plump legs, no crustiness on the nose & that the shell is normal & ask LOTS of questions. Do a websearch for care info & print lots off & do some reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Vegeta wrote:
    I was hoping to get a breed that were small enough to live in a vivarium that would fit on a table top. By the sounds of it a tortoise is the way to go. I am defo after the littlest fella i can get as i'd love a pet with this sort of life span but space sounds like it might be an issue. I have a whole table top free though so I am guessin I'd fit a pretty large habitat on that.

What would you recommend??
    Vivariums aren't that suitable for tortoises to be honest.. I have a pair of hermans Torts on a tabletop setup, I suggest you try this site , it covers all aspects of tortoise husbandry.
    http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bond-007 wrote:
    Go for a Russian Horsefield - they do well on a table top setting - Hermans really need lost of time outside & all torties will benefit from time outside in the summer. Also the Russian Horsefields are a tad cheeper & do not require a licence - my advice would be to go & visit some pet/reptile stores that have torties & have a good look check that eyes are bright that the animal is lively & nice plump legs, no crustiness on the nose & that the shell is normal & ask LOTS of questions. Do a websearch for care info & print lots off & do some reading.

Cheers mate sounds good, I'll look in to this and get back to you guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement