Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House: No door on on-suite shower

Options
  • 13-02-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Any help here people.

Just did the snag list of my new house on saturday and the engineer put down that there is no shower door on the on-suite shower. Have talked to a few people since and all have told me that this door is never fitted. Is this the case and why? How can that be, as myself and the engineer deems this to be an unfinished shower!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Our last house did'nt have a shower door either in the ensuite. It is a bit strange, but they do only supply the shower tray and shower unit

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

To me it's unfinished!!!

any builders out there :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nope, Sister bought new house there before xmas and she had to supply all shower doors it seems

did your sister put it down on the snag?

did your sister put it down on the snag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Was the Shower door / enclosure included in the quotation you got when you bought the house off-plan ? If not then its not included and as most builders of estates are seriously mean (won't give you the steam off their P..)... don't expect it to be in the price !

The builder I had put in an electric shower by mistake (I got them to do the wiring only as they wanted 400 pounds (at the time) for supply and fit of a showe I could get for 200. I tried negotiating them leaving it in but they simply ripped it out again (leaving a fairly messy finish)..

My advice ? Expect NOTHING.
    Peeman...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

It would be unusual to have the shower door included but check the specification.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No, she knew she had to purchase them, 299 a piece from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

LFC Murphy wrote:
    Have talked to a few people since and all have told me that this door is never fitted.
    Thanks

Mine was complete with door - I suppose it depends on how it was sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Well see where u went wrong... you got an engineer to do a snags for u.
    But no shower doors are not included in a housing package, you generally have to supply ur own.

• Advertisement

Well see where u went wrong... you got an engineer to do a snags for u.
    But no shower doors are not included in a housing package, you generally have to supply ur own.

The engineer is my brother inlaw so sorted that way. Anyway thanks for the input, just going to hand over the list, sure will let you know what the builder says

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Unless we use bathroom pods in a development where it's part of the package, the shower door is NOT standard (we didn't get one in our own house either).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

squire1 wrote:
    It would be unusual to have the shower door included but check the specification.
    Agreed.
    Your brother is chancing his arm unless he knows that other houses were supplied with shower doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

We bought a house in a new estate recently. We knew beforehand that shower doors weren't included in the package. There were none in the showhouse and that's what led me to ask the estate agent agents the question.

I'd imagine it's because they're quite likely to leak and builders don't want the hassle of having to adjust them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

AFAIK they generally arn't included, unless specifically mentioned in the spec. Bought a new house in May of last year, and guessed that although in the showhouse, the shower door wouldn't be included. We also took the tiling allowance (€250!) so the door definatly wouldn't have been put in by the builder anyways (you'd have to wait until the tiling was done).

Anyways it gives you more choice on the type of door you can get - bi-fold, single, opaque etc etc. Do bear in mind as well there's probably going be be a cople of weeks lead time when ordering (unless you buy in a multiple such as Woodies or B&Q)

Advertisement