Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best type of RJ11 cable for broadband

• 13-02-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Doe anyone know what's the best type of RJ11 cable for broadband and where to get it?I want to run a RJ11 extension cable from one room into another but wish minimize the noise from a poor quality cable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You'd be hard put to be affected by noise badly inside your house. You could always run at 10mbps instead of 100mpbs if you needed, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the performance of your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I have 30 metres of Cat5e running from the router->switch->PC1 and another 5 metres from router->switch->PC2.

When I transfer files from PC1<->PC2 I usually get close to 10MBytes a second...which is very nice indeed.
    As BB in Ireland wont get anywhere near that speed for at least 10 to 20 years Im happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

assuming the OP is referring to phone cable and not network cabling; I've been using a bog standard 10m spool extension cable for ages and it's never caused a problem with my broadband. If you're not talking about phone cable with RJ11 connectors, what you're after is cat5 cable as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It is irrelevent.

Ingnore packaging on expensive cables in shops. You are likely connected to exchange by up to 5km of CAT3. or similar. Or even something worse (then 5km is unlikely).

Just don't let dog/cat/baby/guinea pig chew it.

Any CAT5, CAT5E or CAT6 shielded or unshielded with 8pin RJ45 will do up to 100m from ADSL box to PC network card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

ADSLUSER wrote:
    What's the best type of RJ11 cable for broadband
    Get the twisted copper ones, they rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

CyberGhost wrote:
    cat5e is rj45 not rj11, hes talking about phonecables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can put 1 to 4 RJ11 connectors on a CAT5e cable. An RJ11 plug will also fit into an RJ45 socket. This is why Ethernet does NOT use the middle four pins.

While 100 meters may be limit for 100Mbps Ethernet on CAT5, I imagine several km or more is limit for pbone on CAT5. It is a good cable for phone. The OP asked about cable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Jakkass wrote:
    cat5e is rj45 not rj11, hes talking about phonecables

woops...

Advertisement