Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Finish Solid Wood Flooring

Options
  • 13-02-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, I've just order a quantity of unfinished wood flooring and I'm wondering whats the best way to finish it. It has been fine sanded, so just requires a varnish or whatever is recommended. The wood is brazilian walnut so it already has a dark colour that I'd prefer to keep, although I don't mind if it deepens slightly. I also want a glossy finisnh. Obviously I want something that protects/hardens the surface also. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Carb wrote:
    Hi Folks, I've just order a quantity of unfinished wood flooring and I'm wondering whats the best way to finish it. It has been fine sanded, so just requires a varnish or whatever is recommended. The wood is brazilian walnut so it already has a dark colour that I'd prefer to keep, although I don't mind if it deepens slightly. I also want a glossy finisnh. Obviously I want something that protects/hardens the surface also. Has anyone got any recommendations?

We sanded our hall floor (oak tiles) last Summer and we bought varnish from the hire place (where we hired teh sander). They recommended this industraial strength stuff that comes as 2 clear liquids that harden very fast when you mix them together. I cannot remembed what it is called; will look at tin when I get home. It stinks badly and dries in about 2 hours and we did 6 coats to get a good finish; it is bullet proof hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Desmo wrote:
    We sanded our hall floor (oak tiles) last Summer and we bought varnish from the hire place (where we hired teh sander). They recommended this industraial strength stuff that comes as 2 clear liquids that harden very fast when you mix them together. I cannot remembed what it is called; will look at tin when I get home. It stinks badly and dries in about 2 hours and we did 6 coats to get a good finish; it is bullet proof hard.

Becker Acroma?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks for the replies. What sort of cost is this stuff?

Also, is this the only product people here have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

We have a dark floor that we got a gloss finish on and it is killing us - the timber is very hard and doesn't mark but every tiny scratch in the laquer finish shows up really obvious. Maybe you should have a look at oils ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

ifah wrote:
    We have a dark floor that we got a gloss finish on and it is killing us - the timber is very hard and doesn't mark but every tiny scratch in the laquer finish shows up really obvious. Maybe you should have a look at oils ?

Did you used the stuff mentioned earlier, or was it something along the lines of Ronseal.

I've seen oils mentioned on a couple of occassions. I'm just struggling to find any information on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Dark wood and gloss will show marks much more than light wood and gloss.
    I am putting down solid wood too but I intend to oil it with Tung oil and a white pigment.
    Tung oil AFAIK is the best oil to use on wood, it is extremely fine and penetrates into the wood to protect it.
    I know that Biofa in clare have some kind of wood preservative called woodbliss which makes wood extremely hard.

Advertisement