Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campus bicycle security

Options
  • 13-02-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

...and I was walking after a monday evenings juggling towardsthe computer science department, where my bike was. Upon my approach I noticed something very odd. My handlebars had been stolen. HANDLEBARS!
    yea, they were a particularly nice set of handlebars, etc...
    they undid 2 bolts at the fromt and cut all my cables so they could take them. cost me a fair bit for a new bar, new brake handles, new gear controlls, and a full recabling job. thankfully it didnt require a new stem.

while reporting this to services (just for the sake of having it reported - I wasnt hoping anything would actually get done) I noticed the layout of their theft report forms. First heading is "Personal Information" (or something) for name, contact details, student No, etc.
    Second heading was "Bicycles"
    think about this. second heading ona theft report form. Services guy said that bicycles were the most regularly stolen thing. I was wondering if it was the most regularly stolen thing why nothing ever gets done about it...
    services guy told me where he was in college in england, there was an area set asside for bicycles which was fenced and floodlit, and had cameras (which he admitted were probably dummy cameras)
    I said it sounded fantastic, and said I might go to the students union and ask them why they dont try get something done - since this is the sort of thing I pay them for.
    went to the president - cant remember his name at the time - and he asked me if I wanted to organise an open meeting, put up posters and start a campaign. I told him thats what I pay the union for. he said ok. nothing happened about it. (I was slightly annoyed at the response - to put it lightly)

so - post your bicycle theft story - lets see how many have been hit by this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was out walking the other monday and as I was passing the Comp Science building i saw a lovely set of handlebars ripe for the taking.. "I must have these shiney handlebars I told myself" .

No In all seriousness sorry about the handlebars. Did you still cycle the bike home anyway? Id say contact the Su again and keep the heat on them. It seems no matter where you go bikes are going to get stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

no matter where you go bikes are going to get stolen, but something could be done about it.
    I tried to cycle it - didnt get very far.
    It's not worth the effort to try get the SU to do the job. I'd have to hound them for it. I dont think I should have to.

I dont think it would be to much trouble for UCD top brass to put a security camera looking over the bycycle areas. Thinking about the car parks are unsecured but it does say "parked at owners risk" somwhere

how much do dummy cameras cost?

Pick them up in any electrical wholesalers for around €19.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The bottom line is UCD would need several of these as the campus is way too large to just have one.
    Although I've regularly left my bike unlocked in Roebuck...until it was stolen from my home that is. Don't worry, the irony isn't lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I think the saest area is up near the studends club, but my brother had one nicked on him from the sci-block.

TBH, if thats your story, doesnt sound like the SU guy insulted you, more vice-versa and he took the words right out of my mouth. Someone should organise a campaign. I dont cycle but would come to your meeting and maybe get involved if I think the campaign well organised or potential to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You'd be surprised how quickly and easily bike thieves steal bikes. About 18 months ago I was looking out my office window which directly faces on to one of the bike racks outside CSI. Saw a guy ride up on his bike, park it in rack and "lock" it, walk straight over to another bike, take a quick look around and slip a pair of bolt cutters out from his jacket. I knew exactly what he was about to do so ran out and came up behind him just as he was about to peddle off.

He got a bit of a shock when I asked him what he was doing. Told to fuck off and he legged it (I wasn't going to try and restrain him, god knows what else he had under jacket).

Anyway took him less then 30 secs to get off the first bike, walk over to second bike, but lock and get up on the saddle. And there were people all around and no one saw him doing it. So even if you had a well lit area with cams it prob won't stop the theft.

Turned out the first bike was stolen as well so at least the Guards recovered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Id be more that willing to pay some charge to get a fenced off area with floodlights, cameras and a key.

Pay some amount for the year and the key. While it wouldnt stop it, some of the less ambitious thieves might be put off enough to go somewhere easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think Sangre's right UCD is far too big to do somethink like that, I suppose thats what services are ment to be doing but at best there aren't enough of them to prevent a would be thief that isn't a total idiot and I don't have any faith in services. I haven't had a bike robbed yet but it's probably only a matter of time:mad:

• Advertisement

I've had one bicycle, and a set of handlebars stolen. the bike went when I was in first year.

A well lit area with a fence and a "camera" wouldnt stop bike theft altogether, but would discourage most would-be thiefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

A friend of mine came out of the sports centre a few weeks ago, and lo and behold someone had tried to steal his racer..........with an axe.
    Two big gashes smack bang in the middle of the frame and the wheel was in bad shape, pretty expensive overall. Seems they couldn't get through the lock so they just started swingin'. I laughed when i heard the story but i certainly won't be lockin my bike up anywhere near there anytime soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ok I'm a lot more worried about the maniac wandering around campus with an axe and amn't convinced that he/she/it was trying to steal the bike and wasn't just swinging psycotically at the first thing that he/she/it objected to:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Ah sure its been a few weeks, all the axe murderers end up in America in the end:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

im so paranoid about my bike in UCD I put two locks on it....given I did pay out a fair bit for the bike.

I've been told that the best way to protect your bike is to use a good U lock and a strong cable lock because you need a car jack for U lock and a clipper thing for the cable so it is unlikely a thief will have both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

I suppose the best place to park your bike is where there are lots of people around so I suggest the SU should tell the swans to f off, drain the lake and turn it into a giant parking lot :D. A little extreme?

Or maybe we could have bike racks all around the lake and the swans could act as security guards. :) I wouldn't mess with those feckers, they alot bigger then you think.

mac

tywy wrote:
    im so paranoid about my bike in UCD I put two locks on it....given I did pay out a fair bit for the bike.

I've been told that the best way to protect your bike is to use a good U lock and a strong cable lock because you need a car jack for U lock and a clipper thing for the cable so it is unlikely a thief will have both.

U lock is def the best. Although they can be cut with bolt cutters, the bolt cutters would need to be 3 - 4 ft long so it's hard for anyone to conceal them.

Cable locks can be snipped with small bolt cutters in one go. Ain't worth buying imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I'd be more than surprised if none of those working in services werent involved, my uncle who worked in another college said if they hung about so guys could rob bikes that theyd get thrown a few quid after a few bikes go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

When I was in second year (4th year now), my bike was nicked from UCD. TO be fair, I had only locked the front wheel on, and it had quick release wheels. I still have the wheel.

I agree with larryone. There should be a locked away area for bikes. UCD should be providing this, and the SU should be yelling at UCD to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Don't forget the importance of having a crap bike or at least a bike that looks crap.

A locked away area would just allow a thief to work away in peace and quiet, getting a key would be easy. The more out in the open the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

"U lock is def the best. Although they can be cut with bolt cutters, the bolt cutters would need to be 3 - 4 ft long so it's hard for anyone to conceal them."

This is true of some U-Locks alright, but a good U-lock is mostly proof. The best ones have a square cross section and are wide diameter hardened steel so that bolt cutters can't get leverage to cut. A good U-lock has to be ground off, hacksaws have problems cutting hardened steel.

Unfortunately, a thief may not even need to disable your lock. Master keys can be got for various brands of lock although they are only supposed to be available to locksmiths. This means that the theft looks like a guy unlocking his bike and cycling it off, even if there was a Garda standing there, it looks legitimate. Luckily, this is a rare breed of professional thief.

I've had three bikes stolen over 16 years, each time was not because the lock was defeated but because I didn't lock it up properly. Lock it TO something and if you don't want bits being taken off it, bring them with you. Although handlebars are a bit much... :)

TO be fair, I had only locked the front wheel on, and it had quick release wheels. I still have the wheel.

I've actually had my bike stolen from monkstown (surprised surprise i hear ya say) but the funny thing was that i found the bike in an alley after 5 mins, all that was missing was the front wheel! :p
    Didnt bother with a quick release when i replaced it ;)

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Didnt bother with a quick release when i replaced it ;)

God no, first thing I'd do if I got a bike with quick release anything is to replace with nuts and bolts. Otherwise ur guaranteed to find ur bike missing saddle, wheel etc.

i should have done it earlier really but was pure laziness on my part.

I can't understand why they'd go through the effort of taking the bike only to dump it in an alley and take the wheel. Maybe they were just practicing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Check out the cycling forum for tips on how to safely lock your bike!
    You can also get a lock with a guarantee on it that if its compromised they'll refund your bike or whatever.

really? must check that out. Dunno if the bike is worth that tho :p

locks with guarentees sound nice...

I wonder If I emailed Hugh Brady.
    "Sell your gym! buy a bicycle! it'll get you fit much faster. Then put the money from the gym sale towards a secure bike area for you and 10000 students!"

I wonder how many people actually cycle to UCD daily.
    I have heard stories of guys driving a van into ucd, and to the science buildings. Loading up the van with bikes nicked with a big bolt cutters, and driving off. On a saturday evening.
    The potential for something like that to happen would be reduced greatly by a well secured area that arent readily accessible by such vehicles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've had two bikes stolen from me-one from the terrace and the other when I was living in Belgrove.This was after I purchased the 35 euro bike locks from the ever crappy belfield bike shop.

My bike now is lovely and purple-a real beaut!But i bashed it around a bit and put black duct tape all around it so it would look old and this does seem to be somewhat of a detterent.I always park my bike at the side of 911-i think larry1's idea of a huge bike rack is a brill idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd gladly support any such campaign. As far U-locks being the best, not true, most (except for the really expensive ones) can be opened with one or two hits of a hammer if you know where to hit them. The only way to stop a bike from being locked is multiple locks of different types. Then you also have to consider carrying all these locks. I've never had a bike nicked from UCD as I bought a crap bike purely because I didn't want any of my decent ones to get nicked. Maybe the best way would be a compound somewhere in the centre of the campus, you leave your bike in their, get a ticket and then can only get your bike out with a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

irlrobins wrote:
    God no, first thing I'd do if I got a bike with quick release anything is to replace with nuts and bolts. Otherwise ur guaranteed to find ur bike missing saddle, wheel etc.
    I replaced mine with an allen key bolt and then filled the hole with candle wax.

I had to add a cigarette lighter to my puncture repair kit but I think that most thiefs won't have one.

Advertisement