Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adapting Regular NIC for Wireless

• 13-02-2006 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Can I get an adaptor for a regular ehernet connection that allows wireless through it?

ie. An antenna that plugs into the network port and replaces a straight-through cable to my (wireless-enabled) router?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An orinoco ethernet converter EC would do.

Must have a root around at home.

But you might as well get a PCI card or a USB dongle or PCMCIA one as the EC needs a separate PSU. The EC needs an orinoco PCMCIA card too. But very handy for stuff like XBOX's and such where all else fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hynesa

Think it might be cheaper to keep the long network cable instead, I'll just have to tidy it up a bit.

Its a pain also having my XBox so close to the router (broadband access point is upstairs, XBox is usually in living room downstairs, cable not practical here), so I might still have a look at a orinoco ethernet converter EC.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

You could use a ethernet-wireless bridge. #Basically its a box with a wireless radio which conects to the ethernet socket on your x-box.

look at the following... http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1134692497433&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

the 3g shops do a wireless bridge for 80 euro AFAIK

hi sneaky,

Any idea on make/model/specs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try here http://www.buy4now.ie/3G/giftgen.aspx?loc=G&gifta=75|1111|91&giftav=Wireless%20Products|0|0

Only thing is that for the price they're charging you can get a wireless access point with router for the same money in Dixons!!!

An AP/router box still doesnt convert devices with a wired ethernet port to wireless. You would still have to run a CAT5 to the device.

As hynesa said, running a cable is not an option. Bridge is the way to go...€80 isn't too bad, although as you said you can get AP/routers for the same money. Some AP only boxes cost as much as AP/router/4P switch in the one box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think I have the same wireless bridge that's on the buy4now page linked above, it's a Belkin 80211G AP. Got it in PC World, it was the same price too, €80. I needed to connect my Xbox to the wireless LAN for straming video and this does the job nicely.

Cheapest wireless access point on Komplett was €59, so with postage that only makes it €10 cheaper than the one I got. Didn't want to wait the 4 days for delivery so I got the one in PC World instead.

Advertisement