Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Project?

• 13-02-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

What is the story with the science projest? I was given a list of what we have to do, but don't know how to start going about it. I wasn't listening to the teacher:rolleyes: , so I don't know. Any help is aprriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ha, I'm so glad I'm doing the 1986 syllabus, no writeups or projects to do \o/

Plus it's a far better course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

No, the old syllabus is being examined this year as well as the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Not really. Not all schools/years have taken up the new science syllabus yet, so it's giving those people a chance to be examined fairly on what they learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I'm worried about the project,we haven't really been told about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Apple Gal wrote:
    I'm worried about the project,we haven't really been told about it!

We have to do it. It is worth 25% of our marks for science in our juniour cert. Then we get the 10% for the inspectors copy (the one with the experiments). It should be fairly easy to pass for the juniour. The only thing I am worried about is passing it for my mocks:rolleyes: . I would like to get a start on it now and get it out of the way.

• Advertisement

I prefer the new course though, there may be more on it but the stuff on it's interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Uh, does everyone get the same project? Like for physics do all schools have to do one about a rubber ball???
    Just realised i got lazy in 2nd year, have loads of expiriments to make up, sorry, write up.

Uh, does everyone get the same project? Like for physics do all schools have to do one about a rubber ball???

Yeah, we have to do the same experiment if we are doing physics. So obviously they are all the same, noting too exciting though. I think we have to do two, but we haven't even started. Anyone started theirs yet?

I havent even ben properly told about it all my teacher has said is that we will have to do one!

Apple Gal wrote:
    I havent even ben properly told about it all my teacher has said is that we will have to do one!

I have the sheet here. I would send it to you, but I don't have a scanner. Sorry. Make sure your teacher tells you everything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I think i may do my own one instead of two others,much easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've got a brilliant teacher for Science so I'm not worried. This is the only subject I'm actually good at..the rest I'm screwed for. It'll be hilarious if I come near to a pass for Irish. xD

Grrr I'm so annoyed that I don't know any of the stuff on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

Could someone please tell me all the titles?? thanks

Are they the same for everyone?

Don't worry about it, our teacher is telling us after the mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are they the same for everyone?
    Do you mean the exam papers?

No. Several companies produce papers for the mocks, whereas only the exam commission does the actual JC / LC papers.

Victor wrote:
    Do you mean the exam papers?

No. Several companies produce papers for the mocks, whereas only the exam commission does the actual JC / LC papers.

Yeah, but will all the mock papers be the same? Or will they have different questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

They all have different questions!

There are only a few companies that do mock papers so most likely, yes you will have some of the same papers as other schools. (I found out what we had on some of our mocks before them cos Loreto Foxrock also had the same mock as us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please do not share information about exams papers.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    There are only a few companies that do mock papers so most likely, yes you will have some of the same papers as other schools. (I found out what we had on some of our mocks before them cos Loreto Foxrock also had the same mock as us)

Well, What is the point of that. You will only study for the stuff on the paper and not study anything else. You will do well in the mock, but remember you will not see the Junior Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

wait, wait ok do we actually have to write a project ourselves or just fill in the booklet thing. like our teacher who is completely useless gave us some sheet bout plagarism and stuff, i dont really have a clue wats goin on . do we just have to fill out the booklet or actually write a project ourselves about germination in a marrow fat pea or somethin. cos she was goin on bout doin research and stuff, and then she said depends on how long u soak them for, because she was sayin for half an hour does this mean u water them for half an hour or water them every half an hour, were doin it this tuesday so ill know by then but i hate doin stuff without havin a clue wat im doin like comin back to maths after a week being sick is the most horrible thing in the world

Well, we were told to get intro groups, I'm doing it on my own as there is odd number and I live far far away from others. I'm doing the Biology one and Physics one, my peas are being soaked in a coffee jar right now...

We have to fill out a copy of the big book thing about everything we did,its very hard writing up all the stuff cos I have to make it sound all clever.

you do it in your own house?
    nah those books are easy, not hard soundin smart

Well, people doing the biology one have to do it at home, cos it takes forever. The physics and chemistry can be done in school, however the problem with the physics one is that the teacher can't find rubber squash balls anywhere, in three damn towns!

We have to do it all in school. We dont do learning work stuff anymore all we do now is the project!

i did it in school, cos there is something about you have to have in the supervision of the school to proove you did it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I hate this stupid project!
    We did the one with the squash balls in class. there's 3 in my group, we'd done all the bouncing and whatever then my friend and I had to leave for a basketball match. The other girl in my group had to do the calculations and stuff so she had the results. I don't want to blame people but she lost the results!! She couldn't find it when it came to writing it up so we had to do it all again.

All we've done since we've come back from mid-term was the project. We haven't even done the second one yet! We're doing it this week.

Our teacher was out all of last week and we hadn't been told what it was so we couldn't even research it while he was out! Our double science is this Friday and he told us that he won't be here for it!

We haven't nearly finished the course either, so once we come back from Easter the rest of the course will be crammed into us! Argh! :mad:

/rant over :)

• Advertisement

Our teacher eliminated the Biology one due to the fact it's really tedius/messy..a lot of things can go wrong and results can vary. So we had no choice but that's ok because in this case I would've picked the Chemistry and Physics one anyway, even though Biology is my favourite science subject!

Look in the Physics/Chemistry forum for more info on the specific experiments, I found the websites there pretty helpful!

It's not hard but the write up is the worst part...not the actual experiments. I presume this is the same for everyone...; we're allowed to use our text books, any sheets we printed off the internet, notes etc. to help us write up the investigation in the examination booklet! Pretty cool, but it's still tough. Though I just make myself sound smart, so it's not too difficult.

Remember; the examiner is marking on this booklet only! (s)he didn't see you do the experiment...so in theory you could actually write up things you didn't do, and results that weren't yours. I wouldn't advise this but if, for example in the Physics, your results turned out horrible - you could *adjust* them a bit...hehehe

Sorry for rambling on..I hope this helped SOMEONE!

Advertisement