Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing the door seal on a washing machine

Options
  • 13-02-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Our bog standard Whirlpool washing machine has started to leak somewhere along the door seal. Are these easy enough to replace as a DIY job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i think they can be reasonably tricky .i do a little bit of repairs.if water is leaking during a cycle it could be a blocked filter .does water spill out during a spin.is the seal damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Water runs down the front from about the 8 o'clock position on the door during a normal wash cycle. That leads me to believe it's the seal. I've checked the main filter and it's not blocked.

That said, I can't find any obvious damage to the seal. Last time I had a leaky door seal, it was fairly obvious and you could see the hole. I'd have a go at it myself, providing it doesn't involve silicone sealant or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

does water escape when the tub is filling or just later in the cycle when its spinning .is there anything on the inside of the door breaking the seal like old powder .when the pump comes on to drain the water does the tub empty

Definitely leaks during the wash cycle. Not sure if it leaks when filling, though. It was in use when I went to check last night :-)

I'll do a more forensic :-) analysis tonight. Thanks.

Sorted this out myself and it was very simple so this might help someone else.

I thought the door seal was leaking but when I had a closer look this morning I noticed signs that water might be running from beneath the powder drawer / control panel. Pic attached.

I took off the top lid but couldn't see any pipes or seals near where the water was running down. So, I downloaded a Whirlpool service manual from here http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/14678/whirlpool_AWM6100.html

This explained how to adjust the distribution nozzle which I'd never heard but basically aims the water coming into the powder drawer. I followed the instructions and lo and behold it seems that water was going into the fabric softener compartment and overflowing from there.

Very easy to fix but you need to follow the instructions in the manual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement