Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you be prosecuted for not paying the toll charges

• 13-02-2006 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Was legislation ever brought in to prosecute people who dont pay the toll on out motorways...where would i be able to find this info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

conair wrote:
    Was legislation ever brought in to prosecute people who dont pay the toll on out motorways...where would i be able to find this info?

How can you not pay the toll. Are we talking about a toll bridge like the one on the M50? Surely you would have to pay the toll, you are not going to drive through a barrier, are u? Sorry I don't know what you mean, canyou be a bit clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Drive up and ask them if they take laser or credit card as the cars pile up behind you they will tell you to pay twice on the way back and that they have taken a picture of the cars reg and let you through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

shltter wrote:
    Drive up and ask them if they take laser or credit card as the cars pile up behind you they will tell you to pay twice on the way back and that they have taken a picture of the cars reg and let you through

That is a good one. I must note that for future reference;) . I wonder is this done much. Do many people get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conair

if you were to drive up to a cash only lane with no operate- when the car in front puts the money in the basket to open the gate...follow this car through while the gate is still open..there is a free toll pass..easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

conair wrote:
    if you were to drive up to a cash only lane with no operate- when the car in front puts the money in the basket to open the gate...follow this car through while the gate is still open..there is a free toll pass..easy

Yes, theft is indeed an offence. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conair

but ntr didnt want to remove the barriers on the M50 because they cant come after motorists who dont pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

conair wrote:
    but ntr didnt want to remove the barriers on the M50 because they cant come after motorists who dont pay
    No, it's because they could only recover the cost of the toll, not a large fine amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've tried haggle with them a few times, I had 1.76 once and got away with it:D

I also heard that itinerants get through it for free. That could be bs though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:

I have never heard that.
    Also i doubt that NTR discriminate and take pride in charging every driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

completely OT but anyway....a girl i know was cut off by a driver on the m50, she was fuming at him and gave him the finger etc, the were both queing for the same booth, he stopped and said something to the operator, when she got to the operater (she was next) the operator told her that the bloke said he had no money and that his "girlfriend " in the car behind would pay!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Nuttzz wrote:
    completely OT but anyway....a girl i know was cut off by a driver on the m50, she was fuming at him and gave him the finger etc, the were both queing for the same booth, he stopped and said something to the operator, when she got to the operater (she was next) the operator told her that the bloke said he had no money and that his "girlfriend " in the car behind would pay!!!

Sorry but that's brilliant:D

I got through for free once, I was next to pay and a squad car cam flying up behind me and I was waved through for free:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I cross the M50 bridge about 6 times a week. About 1 in 4 times the barrier on the exact cash lanes is up, I pay the toll 3 out of 4 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

If you could bypass the toll booths and get on the M4 motorway say a mile down the road would you be breaking any law?
    I was thinking of a short cut through a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

cormie wrote:

Wow, go Cormie. Fight the power!
    cormie wrote:

Yeah? And I also heard the the free cars they give to asylum seekers also come with Eazypass tags that the government pay for.:rolleyes:

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

So if we all club together and build a privete road onto the M4 bypassing the toll would we be breaking the law?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dts wrote:
    So if we all club together and build a privete road onto the M4 bypassing the toll would we be breaking the law?:D
    Its illegal to have a private entrance on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

It can be argued that tolls are unconstitutional

The text of http://oasis.gov.ie/government_in_ireland/the_constitution/right_to_travel.html which appears to be an official interpretation of the constitution states "You have a right to move freely within the state", however this is probably modified by some catchall satement in an act making provision for the state to restrict or impose conditions on access to itr property (the motorway is owned by the state)

If only there was some ambulance chasing type of solicitor who would explore these interesting questions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

But there is a little detour you can take and Im sure many are aware of it too. If you are heading southbound and just realise 'sh*t I got no money for these c*nts (toll). Take the blanchardstown turnoff thats the one before the tollbridge incase you didnt know :S and take a right at the roundabout heading in the direction of blanchardstown shopping centre.

Take the second exit after the shopping centre heading for clonee.

Go left heading for lucan just outside clonee village. This will lead you into lucan village from here you can get onto the M4 which will lead you back onto the m50 avoiding the toll completely.

It can be busy at peak times in lucan village but can avoid some of the usuall delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Highway 407 ETR here works on transponders and if you don't pay they can stop you renewing your licence plates (essentially car tax disc). They were billing the wrong people and farming out the collection to agencies who used to ring people 20 times a day and so on.

http://www.407etr.com/news/medianews.asp?file=news200512.ini&year=2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Victor wrote:
    Its illegal to have a private entrance on a motorway.
    There is obviously a way around that, as the bridge, and a certain amount of the road on either side, is effectively privately owned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

dowlingm wrote:
    Highway 407 ETR here works on transponders and if you don't pay they can stop you renewing your licence plates (essentially car tax disc). They were billing the wrong people and farming out the collection to agencies who used to ring people 20 times a day and so on.

http://www.407etr.com/news/medianews.asp?file=news200512.ini&year=2005

Do the ERT roads around TO not work on number plate recognition?? it's a while since i used them, but from memory they make you slow down a bit so they can get a good pic of your number plate... I remember getting billed for using them, and i deffinitly didn't have a transponder.

The difference with Ontario/Canada, is that your number plate is tied to your drivers licence, so you have to pay all un-paid tolls, parking fines, speeding tickets ect... before you can get road tax or even buy another car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

conair wrote:
    Can you be prosecuted for not paying the toll charges?
    Yes. £200 fine.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT (TOLL ROADS) ACT, 1979
    http://193.178.1.79/ZZA34Y1979S7.html

ROADS ACT, 1993
    http://193.178.1.79/ZZA14Y1993S64.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Victor wrote:
    Yes. £200 fine.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT (TOLL ROADS) ACT, 1979
    http://193.178.1.79/ZZA34Y1979S7.html

ROADS ACT, 1993
    http://193.178.1.79/ZZA14Y1993S64.html

The 1993 act superceeds the 1979 act.
    (4) The amount of any toll due and payable by a person under this Act and unpaid may be recovered from the person by whom it is payable as a simple contract debt in any court of competent jurisdiction
    Therefore you only have to pay the toll price when they come after you. This has happened me and they CANNOT fine you (Fact!)

When i had a 306 carvan they tried charging me commercial price on M1, i refused and sent a cheque each time to NTR for 1.80 (car price) each time as they would not accept anything other than the exact amount they wanted at the gate. No big deal really.
    Loads of NI drivers just say "only got sterling", they dont even bother taking note of reg any more and just let them through.

Only when we egt proper leglislation on fines for unpaid tolls will it become barrier free. If they can do it in other countries without you even having to slow down they can surley do it here.

Advertisement