Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definitive Guide to Body Language- Allan Pease

• 13-02-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'm reading this at the moment and would like to get others thoughts on it.

Thus far, it seems quite informative but I haven't really had the chance to observe body language so I'm still not 100% convinced.

Although he streeses the idea of the "cluster", I'm still afraid that I'm going to start misinterpreting people all the time.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stol3n_lif3

I myself am very interested in psychology and socialology (think i spelt that wrong) and human behaviours.. and somethimes it can be a burden..

I've found a little way of readin people by their eyes, hand and foot movements, lips and speech..

People who swallow a lot whilst talkin are either under stree or lying

people who can't make eye contact either have a guilty conscience, low self esteem or lost in a conversation..

people who fidgit a lot i guess have so much going on in their minds that they can't find the words to express them..

People who play with their feet a lot.. don't like the situation there in rite now...

OH OH OH.. another great book to get is the Philospophy (spelt that wrong i know i did).. the phil.. of doodles.. its a great book and full of varied interesting facts and tips..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

I've found a little way of readin people by their eyes, hand and foot movements, lips and speech..

This could be interesting...
    People who swallow a lot whilst talkin are either under stree or lying

Or produce more saliva than others, or are hungry and thinking about food, or a thousand other things. Specious reasoning based on illusory correlations.

people who can't make eye contact either have a guilty conscience, low self esteem or lost in a conversation..

Or would rather not make other people uncomfortable, or wish to avoid breaking taboos [in some cultures looking someone in the eye is an aggressive act], or are overstimulated, or are visually hypersenstive, or a thousand other things. Specious reasoning and illusory correlations.
    people who fidgit a lot i guess have so much going on in their minds that they can't find the words to express them..

Or have just had coffee, or have a skin irritation, or are simply stimming, or a thousand other things.

People who play with their feet a lot.. don't like the situation there in rite now...

Or they have a twisted sock, or a sore foot, or a stiff toe, or a thousand other things.

Such ideas can look great on paper, but fall apart with just a little prodding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stol3n_lif3

am i wrong in thinkin these assumptions..

even though i can't properly dictate them on paper.. i am usually rite in my readings.. i dn't usually tell people.. but when i do mention it..

they say i'm too observent..

pokin holes in theories jus hurts peoples thoughts and makes them feel less of themselves.. thank you for makin me feel jus that little bit smaller...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

it's the internet don't take anything too seriously :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

pokin holes in theories jus hurts peoples thoughts and makes them feel less of themselves..

In a word, tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

What good is a theory if it can't withhold gentle proding?

The scientific method requires an idea to be attacked from all angles. I think the point Eoghan was making is that you may be right most of the time but as with any psychological analysis it isn't perfect and you should be aware of your assumptions and the fact that you're not always right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

hey guys,

not sure if this thread is still going or not (i came across it in a google search).

I was wondering does anybody know where one could study Body language. Does it come under psychology?
    I'm thinking of going back to college doing a psychology course but my real passion is body language. I have a few of allen pease's books and desmond morris' people watching book.

Also, can one major in body language?

Thanks

Advertisement