Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My friend got married too quickly....

• 13-02-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is a long story but I will try to keep it as brief as possible!

Background:
    A good friend of mine met a Ukrainian girl a couple years ago. Within the space of a couple months she moved in with him. He owned the house himself. Another couple months later they announced their engagement. I struggled to be happy about it as he was engaged to a girl beforehand and she cheated on him and they broke up. I basically wanted to tell him to be certain and take his time as I didn’t want to see him hurt again. Also, I was beginning to have some doubts about this new girl. But I never had that man to man chat!

Soon afterwards they got married. Bare in mind they had only known each other a year at this stage. So then they announced that they were selling HIS house and buying one together in Malahide. She had lived there before for a period and has some friends there.

This guy is a very good friend of mine and we have known each other for years. Before he met this woman we would go out for a few pints once or twice a week. When they met all this stopped! I thought nothing of it for a while as I assumed they were in love and all that crap and I know what it’s like when you meet somebody, you sort of unwillingly put your friends to one side for a while.

However, I was starting to get annoyed with him as quite a period of time would go by before I would hear from him. I would ask him on several occasions to meet up but I always got pathetic excuses! But I eventually got used to this situation.

You might be thinking so far that there is nothing wrong with this situation. But basically I don’t think its going to last and here is why:

So with the sale of his house, he made a few bob on it. He paid for the deposit on the new house (no help from her) and he a had plenty of money left over to furnish this new house! This is where she started to take CONTROL.

She allocated to him the spare room and the garden shed to furnish/decorate! With HIS money she proceeded to furnish and decorate the house to her taste and disregarded his opinions.

A lot of the furniture etc from the original house she wouldn’t let him bring to the new house. (He is really into having a house looking well so none of it was crap). He had a couple cherished possessions that were either relegated to the attic or even SOLD on him.

This is when I was seriously getting annoyed myself. I was more annoyed at him not getting annoyed with her than I was with her if that makes sense.

I soon found out why I wasn’t seeing him much anymore. SHE WONT LET HIM OUT! Before she met him she was out every weekend herself but as soon as she got her claws into him she stopped going out herself. She claimed she didn’t like pubs etc. And because of this she didn’t want him to go out.

He recently started making the effort to come out as he is slowly becoming annoyed with her behaviour. But within an hour and a half of coming out she is ringing him telling him to come home. For a while he was doing this and it pissed my off big time. On my birthday last year, he arrived at 8pm and was gone by 9pm.

He came out a few weeks ago and when he got home she had been waiting up to see what time he got in at (only 1am) and she went to bed without saying anything. She didn’t speak to him for 2 days. She gave him a total bollocking for going out.

This happened again the other week. She was in bed at 9pm and she knew he was going out. He got another lecture and bollocking of her the next day.

As part of his job, he gets to travel 3-4 times a year, only for a day or maybe two. She told him to tell his boss that he will no longer be available to do this part of his job!

Basically this woman is a complete and utter CONTROL FREAK! She actually told him soon after they got married that she “is the boss”. And that she is used to getting things done her way.

When he is asked to go somewhere or wants to do something himself he has to see if its ok with her. I told him several times that if he wants to go somewhere or do something he should just tell her he is doing it and not ask her!

It gets worse, she wants to have kids! She has already said that she wants her child to be born in June and that her child will be doing law in college and will not have a choice or a say in the matter. She also said her child will not be allowed to play outside unless she is standing there watching her/him.

She is completely unreasonable and I am struggling to get it through to him that he can’t put up with this. I am at a loss.

If a child comes into the equation and the marriage ends he will loose everything to her.

I have discussed this situation with other friends and even his father and they are all in total agreement with me and we are worried for him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Wooooooah. Psycho.
    But to be fair your mate needs a kick up the arse and for someone to point out to him that his wife is driving away all his friends. I lost a mate to a girfriend before and theres nothing worse, especially as after the eventual break up its you the come to looking for advice/help. I swore after that id never abandon my friends for a girl. I might see a little less of them but thats understandable, id never let someone tell me 'you cant go out tonight'.
    Maybe some kind of an intervention? Get a couple of his mates together with him and point out that noone ever sees him anymore etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

OH MY GOD- I TAUT I GAVE MY FELLA A HARD TIME!!!!!!

im an angel compared to this freak- does he feel the same cos there is one word DIVORCE

plus if my mam had turned around to me and said" you will go to this school and do this course" id tel her where to shove it!

what if the kids dont have the intellegence to go to university? She doesnt think!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Look, I have two acquaintances who are also doing this. At the end of the day, he's married to her and probably happy with this set up, as is the guy that I know. No matter how much it makes you despair, it is their relationship. If it works for them, you just let them get on with it. I was baffled by this fellers behaviour, until we realised he just wanted a woman to boss him around. It's anathema to me, but some people like that sort of relationship. *shrugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

pepper wrote:
    OH MY GOD- I TAUT I GAVE MY FELLA A HARD TIME!!!!!!

im an angel compared to this freak- does he feel the same cos there is one word DIVORCE

plus if my mam had turned around to me and said" you will go to this school and do this course" id tel her where to shove it!

what if the kids dont have the intellegence to go to university? She doesnt think!!!
    Yea, I said that to her and she just said "Our child will be able for it".

Shabadu wrote:
    Look, I have two acquaintances who are also doing this. At the end of the day, he's married to her and probably happy with this set up, as is the guy that I know. No matter how much it makes you despair, it is their relationship. If it works for them, you just let them get on with it. I was baffled by this fellers behaviour, until we realised he just wanted a woman to boss him around. It's anathema to me, but some people like that sort of relationship. *shrugs*

No its not that at all. He is starting to get annoyed with it. He put up with it as I guess he loves her but he agrees that it can't continue like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

Yea, I said that to her and she just said "Our child will be able for it".

Not if they have her common sense- God ill be lucky if my kids graduate secondary school- cos i just bearly did- but ill love them no matter what- she will lose them putting her failed ambitions on their shoulders

Let me know when that day comes- I want a front row seat! So i can point and laugh and say" Its your own fault"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Is he happy? If so, be happy for him.
    If not, he knows where the door is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Get him to sign the house over to a third-party he trusts (his father maybe?) or he'll lose everything when he divorces her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No its not that at all. He is starting to get annoyed with it. He put up with it as I guess he loves her but he agrees that it can't continue like this.

well he let himself be a doormat and now he is tired of it, made his bed now he has to lie in it, she is so used to him bending to her will any "rebellion" now will have serious consequences, however IMHO he would want to get his head together and do his own things, plenty of couples can have individual interests what the other person isnt into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He's going to lose half of his house anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

I would seriously urge you to sit your friend down, one to one and tell him everything you've written down here. And do it before his wife becomes pregnant. Once kids enter the situation, everything will bceome ten times worse.

I have seen this happen before. Man (lonely/easily manipulated by women, etc.) falls "in love" with woman. They marry, buy a house. Wife is a total control freak - it's her way or the high way. Man stays in relationship because he hasn't the balls to see it for what it really is. Wife wants baby immediately. Baby comes along, man forgotten. Wife wants divorce. Man looses everything, including house. Including, in some cases, access to the child. Man becomes depressed/suicidal.

Now this is an extreme example, but I swear to god I have seen it happen to several men. I'm not saying this will happen in your friends case, but as a friend, sit him down over a pint and point these things out to him (soon - before the children).

After that, it's up to him. If he still doesn't want to change ths stuation, that's his perogative. He will do his own thing. All you can do is discuss it with him. Afterwards, wish him the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Unreggy -

His wife is laying down all the foundations for what will be an abusive relationship if it's not already. All the signs are there.

Once they have a kid he's a goner.

Step one: isolate.

Do you see any ways in which he is enabling this? Do you think he likes it? I know that sounds weird but some people like being owned and bossed around - they feel loved and can avoid responsibility at the same time.

Be careful - if you shake things up you will be the first to get the chop. You can see it already in her phoning him to come home when he's out with you. I would contact some support groups and see what their advice is to you in terms of practical steps.

This is interesting and insightful.
    http://samvak.tripod.com/abuse.html

No I don't believe he likes it! He perhaps tolerated it at an earely stage. But he has told me that she "Completely Changed" after they got married into this control freak.

I have said to him already could he imagine what it would be like 5 years down the road and he said at the rate things are going it wont last 5 years but I am not sure he was having a laugh or not.

You see his own parents are seperated and I guess he is afraid to go down that same route.

The strange thing is, is that he is a very intelligent and independant kind of guy but he always seems to go for the wrong women. He seems easily led by them.

Its unusually that he tolerates this. He could be in denial that his marriage can't last this way!

I have told him already that he rushed into marriage (I'd say she influenced that). As I said to him, most people are only considering getting engaged after 2 years. He was marriage withing a year and a half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Elessar wrote:

I have seen this happen before. Man (lonely/easily manipulated by women, etc.) falls "in love" with woman. They marry, buy a house. Wife is a total control freak - it's her way or the high way. Man stays in relationship because he hasn't the balls to see it for what it really is. Wife wants baby immediately. Baby comes along, man forgotten. Wife wants divorce. Man looses everything, including house. Including, in some cases, access to the child. Man becomes depressed/suicidal.

No wonder the suicide rate amongst men is extremely high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Class A lunatic, if any woman told that she was the boss, id be out of there so fast. He needs to sit her down and tell her a few home truths to be honest.

Whats that dear? Yes im doing the dishes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

lazydaisy wrote:
    His wife is laying down all the foundations for what will be an abusive relationship if it's not already. All the signs are there.

Exactly. If it was the other way around, a man treating his wife like this, we'd recognise it immediately for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

He married her within a year & moved house just to be closer to her friends.
    Seems more like he wants to please her & can't say no & so she's gotten used to it!

You only know his side of things & you don't even know all of that!

She wants to live in a house with decor she's chosen herself & has big plans for their kids...
    What. A. B!tch!

Jeez man, relax!
    He made his bed, let him lie in it.
    It's absolutely nothing to do with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Have to disagree with the kitten murderer myself.

If a women posted this saying how her husband treated her this way everyone would be on saying "oh thats a disgrace, thats close to abuse, call the cops etc etc" but sine its a man, people seem to think "he made his bed, let him lie in".

If she started hitting him would still say the same? Non-pyscial/mental abuse can be just as bad as physical.

Have a sit down with your mate and tell him how you feel, try get his dad there so he doesnt just think your being jealous or whatever.

I would not only do this for you mates sake, but for the potential child they could have. If a child grows up in that kind of controlling envirment it will not be good, and would cause the child to have serious mental issues later in life.

I cant even began to imagine how horrible my life would of been if my parents had decided excactly how my life would turn out before i was even born, that seriously ****'d up.

Get him some help, ASAP, before a kid is brought into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

This woman sounds like a total lunatic.A good marriage should be based on trust and love and should be 50/50 not like this sham. He will loose everything if they ever divorce.

Interesting that she is from the Ukraine. Non EU country and such.

He married her within a year & moved house just to be closer to her friends.
    Seems more like he wants to please her & can't say no & so she's gotten used to it!!

I don't think the OP said that. You need to read it again!
    You only know his side of things & you don't even know all of that!
    How much more do you need to know??
    She wants to live in a house with decor she's chosen herself & has big plans for their kids...
    What. A. B!tch!
    Thats all well and good but her "big plans" are borderline lunacy! Her plans for "her" kids should involve her husband! After all they would be his kids too.
    Don't you think relationships should be 50-50??
    Jeez man, relax!
    He made his bed, let him lie in it.
    It's absolutely nothing to do with you!

Just aswell your not a pyschologist or a doctor! I'm glad I don't have any friends like you. Do you react this way to everyone who is victim to some sort of abuse? or is it just men?

• Advertisement

Kitten killer, This guy is a very good friend. I was there for him when his previous girlfriend cheated on him. I am going to be there for him if this marriage ends. I want to help him out in any way I can. Perhaps you don't have any close friends?? I don't understand your post at all.

Anyway, moving on. I got an invitation to a party next saturday. The invite allows one guest. I sent him a text asking if he would like to go. This is the actual response:

"Sorry dude, **** thinks it inappropriate that u will invite me out when I have a wife and not take into account what she will do when I am out, to remember that we are a couple and should b treated as a couple....and that perhaps u dont realise that. Better to invite **** or ***** or somebody else who is single."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

typical lady blackmailer in my opinion,,if was me id smash every bit of furniture and throw it out the window - tell HER to get out and douce her in rotten milk,,horrible sow!!...hahahahahh no respect for these witches...they deserve none.......

wheres the rocking lads gone!?..too many pussy whimp men around.

ciao' amigos...Baggio....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bring him out with the lads. Take his phone, remove the sim chip, and give it back to him. Get him drunk, show him a good time (golf, darts, footie match, etc), and then allow him to sleep it in.

Then sit him down, and arrange another session. What can she do? Divorce him? I doubt she'll do that, by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

py2006 wrote:
    Don't you think relationships should be 50-50??
    I'm sure she does, so long as 50-50 is in favour of the women ;)

Kitten killer, This guy is a very good friend. I was there for him when his previous girlfriend cheated on him. I am going to be there for him if this marriage ends. I want to help him out in any way I can. Perhaps you don't have any close friends?? I don't understand your post at all.

Anyway, moving on. I got an invitation to a party next saturday. The invite allows one guest. I sent him a text asking if he would like to go. This is the actual response:

"Sorry dude, **** thinks it inappropriate that u will invite me out when I have a wife and not take into account what she will do when I am out, to remember that we are a couple and should b treated as a couple....and that perhaps u dont realise that. Better to invite **** or ***** or somebody else who is single."
    Urgh. Tell him she's the wife, not the mammy.
    I don't know what to say, except somehow it has to stop :|

And possibly do what syco suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Hey Unreggy Weggy, pretty sure I know who you're on about, just a couple of observations...

1) There's bound to a massive element of making the same mistakes as my parents. This guys father is a lovely guy but also quite vocal and opinionated. Nothing wrong with that per se but it's going to weigh heavily on your friends mind, especially when it comes to "walking away" and admitting he got it wrong (again)...

2) Be careful how you approach it, the paranoia of this girl knows no bounds in my humble and I'm pretty sure she has you down as a marked man. Softly, softly, catchy monkey.

Fair play to you for watching out for him; but this is something HE needs to do for himself. Lets just hope it doesn't get complicated by kids! (although he's safe enough for the time being given the baby has to arrive within the 30 days of June :D )

We all know he has to take the financial hit, walk away and start afresh but unfortunately the most important person in this has to recognise it for himself.

We'll all be there to pick up the pieces afterwards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Ok from a womans point of view this woman is a fcuking nutcase!! it's obvious that she only married him for money. Poor bloke not all women are like this just the few odd loosers who are too lazy to be independant money wise to their man.

Now it also seems to me that she was on the look out for someone who was a bit vunerable & had loadsa money, planned to marry them asap regardless of her feelings for them. Then as soon as they got married TOOK CONTROL!!

As for what to do about this women, there's nothing you can do, why u say? Cause you'll end up looking like a prick if you say anthing believe me (happened with my sister her fella is a prick like this women you mentioned nothing but using her) unfortunately for me i said something & my sister stays distant with me now she knows i hate him.

Someone posted that he shouldd give rights to a third party for the house that is a good suggestion i don't know if your friend would go with that cause she has him wrapped.

Angels wrote:
    Ok from a womans point of view this woman is a fcuking nutcase!! it's obvious that she only married him for money. Poor bloke not all women are like this just the few odd loosers who are too lazy to be independant money wise to their man.

Now it also seems to me that she was on the look out for someone who was a bit vunerable & had loadsa money, planned to marry them asap regardless of her feelings for them. Then as soon as they got married TOOK CONTROL!!

As for what to do about this women, there's nothing you can do, why u say? Cause you'll end up looking like a prick if you say anthing believe me (happened with my sister her fella is a prick like this women you mentioned nothing but using her) unfortunately for me i said something & my sister stays distant with me now she knows i hate him.

Someone posted that he shouldd give rights to a third party for the house that is a good suggestion i don't know if your friend would go with that cause she has him wrapped.

Actually he isn't loaded! She does work herself but wouldn't be on more than 20,000. She may have spotted the potential of him owning his own house. As I said he sold it and got a new house in both their names. And there was money left over from the sale of the house which she took control over.

I really want to hit it home to him before kids come on the scene! Thats why I don't want to leave it as some people have suggested!

I already said to him that if he was to have a child with this women he would have absolutely no say in how that child is brought up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OP,

I think all you can do is be there to pick up the pieces....it's great that you are such a good friend and want to help but really there is nothing you can do but offer a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear....if you are allowed to!

If your friend is unhappy then there is only one person that can change things - and that is your friend.....I think I, you & a great many other people here wouldn't accept the kind of emotional blackmail & controling behaviour you say is being exhibited by your friends wife & I know you think it is all down to her...but.....what is stopping him from talking to his wife and discussing some ground rules?....It sound like she has forced him home from your party with a gun at his head, or forced him to hand over cash to spend on the house and he could say nothing to object.....I am presuming he is not chained to the house....he can walk out & go meet you if he wanted to? He could switch off his mobile & ignore any demands to go home? So why doesn't he? The fact is he chooses not to.....

I can't believe he sent you a text quoting his wife either - it made me cringe for him! I can't imagine my husband ever telling his mates "X has said I'm not allowed out tonight".....if I called and demanded he come home that minute as I was the boss, he would laugh & tell me he'd see me when he saw me - it's bizarre behaviour from both of them!! Your friend need to grow a pair & discuss with his wife what he wants out of their relationship and refuse to be such a walk-over.....she has to learn to compromise but from your posts, I don't see where your friend is asking for a compromise, he just seems to be blindly following orders :( Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP you're dead right about one thing - your friend got married too quickly.

I feel sorry for him - "she completely changed [from the woman I'd known for the blink of an eye] after we got married".

Stuff divorce - he should plead insanity and try for an annulment.

Speaking of divorce and annulment etc! He got married in a registry office as opposed the big church/reception malarky!

Whats the story there if and when he wants to get rid of her? Is it easier to get an annulment if you don't do it through the church etc?

This woman obviously wants a lot for herself & she's found a man to manipulate enough to give it to her.
    He's not putting up a fight just getting resentful & b!tchy about it.
    If he had a big problem about all of it, he'd be asking for help rather than just letting off steam to anyone who'll listen.

You said yourself that you hadn't been talking as much since he got married, so you don't know the full story.

Usually when someone's venting or letting off steam about someone else they exaggerate & repeat things out of context.
    What seems like mad-psycho-stalker on paper might have been dream-sharing or p!ss-taking in reality.

Ask yer man out straight if he wants help.
    See what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sigh. You can *never* give people like your friend advice in that kinda situation. They just have to learn the hard way.

I'd stand back and be there for him when in inevitable train-wreck occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Speaking of divorce and annulment etc! He got married in a registry office as opposed the big church/reception malarky!

Whats the story there if and when he wants to get rid of her? Is it easier to get an annulment if you don't do it through the church etc?

As far as I know, a legal wedding is a legal wedding whether it takes place in a church or a registry office & I think it is quite difficult to get an unnulment unless applied for immediately.....on another note, do you think it is the obvious glee you talk about your friends matrimonial problems & the fact you are quite happy to request info on divorce & separation on his behalf that is maybe causing some of these problems between you? Regardless of how rocky my marriage gets it is still MY marriage & I wouldn't thank anyone for trying to nudge me down the separation or divorce avenue because they didn't like my husband.....best of luck :)

As far as I know, a legal wedding is a legal wedding whether it takes place in a church or a registry office & I think it is quite difficult to get an unnulment unless applied for immediately.....on another note, do you think it is the obvious glee you talk about your friends matrimonial problems & the fact you are quite happy to request info on divorce & separation on his behalf that is maybe causing some of these problems between you? Regardless of how rocky my marriage gets it is still MY marriage & I wouldn't thank anyone for trying to nudge me down the separation or divorce avenue because they didn't like my husband.....best of luck :)

Well, I haven't been nudging him anywhere or even suggesting it! The reason I asked was just in case it came to that as I was unsure!

• Advertisement

This woman obviously wants a lot for herself & she's found a man to manipulate enough to give it to her.
    He's not putting up a fight just getting resentful & b!tchy about it.
    If he had a big problem about all of it, he'd be asking for help rather than just letting off steam to anyone who'll listen.

You said yourself that you hadn't been talking as much since he got married, so you don't know the full story.

Usually when someone's venting or letting off steam about someone else they exaggerate & repeat things out of context.
    What seems like mad-psycho-stalker on paper might have been dream-sharing or p!ss-taking in reality.

Ask yer man out straight if he wants help.
    See what he says.

I don't know whether or not you read the actual posts you reply to or not! You seem to be reading things differently!

I think its very clear that this woman is a control freak and is most likely using him as a piece in the jigsaw in her life.

The guy isn't getting resentful and bitchy about it.....yet anyway! He is only now acknowledging that her behaviour is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

galwaydude wrote:
    Interesting that she is from the Ukraine. Non EU country and such.
    Funny, that was the first thing that occured to me too. Clearly, she married him for his passport and his house.
    I've met this kind of woman. They are seriously ambitious and nothing will stand in their way.

To the OP: Yes, he needs to get out but you'll only alienate him if you don't tread very, very, very careful. It's probably best to approach the topic in a light-hearted, bantery kind of way rather than going for a fullscale, all-out "intervention". If he's already acknowledging that her behaviour is unacceptable it's a step in the right direction. Just hope he doesn't get her pregnant :( .

Unreggy:
    If he was acknowledging the situation (her being controlling etc.) he wouldn't stay at home upon her assistance & send you that utterly degrading text message!
    He's letting her do this to him!
    What's stopping him from just telling her that he's going out with the lads???

He should have actually gotten to know her before he got engaged, it's not her fault he rushed into things!
    Unless she did a complete 180 once they were married, he was aware of what he was walking into!

Wait until HE posts up here looking for advice before you start lawyer-hunting for him!

Unreggy:
    If he was acknowledging the situation (her being controlling etc.) he wouldn't stay at home upon her assistance & send you that utterly degrading text message!
    He's letting her do this to him!
    What's stopping him from just telling her that he's going out with the lads???

He should have actually gotten to know her before he got engaged, it's not her fault he rushed into things!
    Unless she did a complete 180 once they were married, he was aware of what he was walking into!

Wait until HE posts up here looking for advice before you start lawyer-hunting for him!

Jaysus, its all the mans fault! We cannot bloody win with some women!

You are right though when you say he is letting her to a certain extent. But its not easy just to get up and walk out of a marriage after a few months!

Yes, he did marry to quickly in my opinion. I would have to be going out with a girl 2-3 years before I would consider getting engaged and would have to be living with her at least 2 years before actually getting married!

The last thing I would want is some stuck-up, materialistic, controlling bitch like that getting my money and house!

It is traditional in them eastern european countries for women to settle down, get married, have kids and be the loving housewife at a very early stage in life.

I know in the Ukraine and Russia, the men are very much the boss in the relationships and the women sit at home doing the housework and cooking etc.

So its unusual that she has such an attitude over here. As she would have more freedom here and would get more respect from a man.

• Advertisement

Sensible man!
    I am only trying to balance this discussion somewhat.
    Everyone's jumping down this womans throat without anyone knowing the full story.
    Remember this is only the groom's friend who's posting.
    If it were the man himself, my views would most likely be very different.

We've all had friends who's partners we haven't particularly been over-thrilled with & in that situation, we're usually only too happy to hear the bad things about them & encourage the person into finding someone else.
    I'm just trying to offer a little bit of balance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A good friend of mine met a Ukrainian girl a couple years ago. Within the space of a couple months she moved in with him. He owned the house himself. Another couple months later they announced their engagement.
    In the Ukraine, this would be normal. Divorce has been abnormal. You would simply have an affair and go back to your family.

But yeah, whackjob.

You see his own parents are seperated and I guess he is afraid to go down that same route.

The sad part of this is he married his mother and I told him so. Its my way or not at all.

I bet, from experience, that this guy married his mother's image...MY WAY or NOT AT ALL..and NO DISCUSSION.

Yes, and they will have a child who will grow up with the same model and marry a controlling bitch when he becomes of adult age. And the cycle continues. This man has to ask if this is the kind of woman he wants mothering his children to be.

Advertisement