Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT due - Should I bother?

Options
  • 13-02-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I got my tax renewal cert today and notice that the NCT is due since January 2006. I thought back to this thread and was wondering if anyone was not NCT'ing their car? I don't mind getting the NCT done but they have failed both me and the wife in the past for "misaligned headlights" (very slightly - not noticable on the raod) etc.

Should I bother? Anyone else not bothering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sure stick it though anyways. I know its 50euro but its nice to know what general state your car is in. Your shocks could be bust etc.

However the headlight thing is a joke

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JohnCleary wrote:
    However the headlight thing is a joke
    I am in favour of having headlights properly aligned and therefore disagree with you on that.

kbannon wrote:
    I am in favour of having headlights properly aligned and therefore disagree with you on that.

Sorry I mis-wrote my statment. What I meant is its a joke that they failed if it wasnt noticable when driving, ie. a tiny tiny bit out.

I'm all for aligned lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

JohnCleary wrote:
    Sorry I mis-wrote my statment. What I meant is its a joke that they failed if it wasnt noticable when driving, ie. a tiny tiny bit out.

I'm all for aligned lights

That was exactly the case. Could only find one company in Galway that could align which guarenteed they would pass NCT. The fúckers charged more than the NCT cost (afair approx €65).

daveg wrote:
    That was exactly the case. Could only find one company in Galway that could align which guarenteed they would pass NCT. The fúckers charged more than the NCT cost (afair approx €65).

WHAT? Thats a joke. Where did you get it done? Name and shame TBH.

Calbro on the Tuam Road do it for 30euro. They don't guarantee a pass, but theyre decent guys in there and they do their job well. I've put a few cars in there for the light alignment/tracking and they sailed through the NCT

• Advertisement

daveg wrote:
    Could only find one company in Galway that could align which guarenteed they would pass NCT.

Nobody can guarrantee that you will pass the NCT unless they have some influence inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

It was the place in behind the cinema in Oranmore. When I say then "guarentee" what I meant was they have the same machine as the NCT centre uses so in theory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whispering

i'm a firm believer in bringing my car to the nct test and let them tell me what is wrong, i have had 2 different cars nct tested the first just needed a new rear tyre €35 and visual retest (free) the second car flew through the test no probs......my advice don't fear the nct test.....

'er indoors left her car in to Westland (grrr!) for a service recently. They came back (as I expected) with a big long list of things to do. I told them not to do any of them bar the timing belt which was due and to complete a standard service.
    I checked the items they commented on and was happy that there was no problem and no need for relacement.

The car passed the test last Wednesday without any problem. I also asked the tester about the items and he was of the exact same opinion as myself.

daveg wrote:
    It was the place in behind the cinema in Oranmore. When I say then "guarentee" what I meant was they have the same machine as the NCT centre uses so in theory...

Thats the same machine that Calbro have. 30euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement