Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Timber Front Door vs Engineered Door

Options
  • 13-02-2006 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm a newbie to this board but since I'm building a house at the moment it looks like it could be very useful. I'm wondering does anyone have any opinions on solid teak timber doors vs engineered doors (I think they are Nordic pine). I'm getting windows from Dalgan but was maybe thinking of getting the front door and garage doors from Munster joinery. They have an engineered door with aluminum in the middle and the attraction for me is that they come painted in whatever colour you like. I'm a crap painter and these doors look good but then again what would I know. All opinions welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dredd

Better off to go for the factory painted door it will have a better finish than u can achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Went for an engineered (but real wood) type door myself. The Rationel (but different company) type. The reasons given were that they are less prone to expansion/contraction with the weather, prooved now already this winter. That and the fact that they have a very high insulation factor which was quite important in my case, again very noticable this winter. Was sick of the .5cm gap around the perimeter of the old solid door. Cost quite a bit though, but well worth it in my opinion.

The only mitigating fact is that the old door was quite poor in any case so I have no actual comparison on my house with a *good* "solid wood" door.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Stay a million miles away from Munster Joinery, we have had nothing but hassle from their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dderd

Thanks nereid & soledad, i've been quoted €1300 for a solid teak timber so am curious to know how much an engineered door would cost. rang MJ today asking a quote for a front door and garage door but rep didn't want know me (i suppose unsurprisingly) when I said I wanted to get windows elsewhere. he did say he would give a quote but told me it would be very expensive... wouldn't even give a ballpark. i think i'll try rationel tomorrow. do you know anywhere else i could try? MJ never get good reviews so would prefer to go with somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

There is Senator too. We thought their products were good, a bit more expensive but if I had my time over again I would not allow price to be the deciding factor.
    Have you tried any joiners, maybe you could get a door made for the price you are thinking of. We actually got ours made for a fraction over the cost MJ were wanting to charge and it is beautiful and the guy was seriously professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

FYI
    I'm getting teak external doors made in a local workshop for about 850 plus vat (sheeted door with small windows cut out). Price not including glazing.

Advertisement