Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arrested for dangerous driving help

Options
  • 13-02-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Guys last night i was arrested and then realeased for dangerous driving under section 53 of road traffic act.
    "A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place at a speed or in a manner which, having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be therein) is dangerous to the public."
    i just wanted to find out if anyone else has been caught and what happens.
    i was doing a few wheel spins etc.
    i know it was my stupidity and fault so please donot come on and tell me.

i would just like views and tell me what would happen i have to appear in court on 1st march 2006.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

drdre wrote:
    i was doing a few wheel spins etc.

What exactly were you doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Were you caught in the jfk/western industrial estate by any chance?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and where, how many people nearby, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well it depends on the day in court TBH. The Garda in question obviously thought you were driving dangerously, but it'll be up to the Judge to "form an opinion" on exactly what you were doing.

If the Judge believe you were driving dangerously there are quite seriously penalites he can hit you with

1. 5 points on license
    2. Endorsement
    3. Fine
    4. Imprisonment

Ok the level at which these will apply with depends on "how serious" the Judge sees the crime (not an expert in law so not sure that mindset of the Judge). If it was just wheel spins in a car-park or something like that it would probably be penalty-points and a fine. But if you were doing 100km/hr up the Main St dodging pedestrians while doing wheel spins start packing for the Joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah man i think i was caught on the western industial estate. pmme

does any one know where i can call or go to find out whats the max that can happen.

i was doing wheel spins and 360's but the garda were looking then later there was police checkpoint and i got done there.

thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

When you say wheel spins do you mean a few handbrake turns aswell, or maybe a bit of drifting.

This carry on creates serious noise pollution at night, especially for families with young kids in the area trying to sleep.

Id bring a good bit of money to court with you, and get a good solicitor. Id say most you will get is a ban and a fine. Least you will get is an endorsement and a fine.

Call the judge a wánker and youll end up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does the "private grounds" rule not apply here if it was in the Ind. Estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

drdre wrote:
    yeah man i think i was caught on the western industial estate. pmme

does any one know where i can call or go to find out whats the max that can happen.

i was doing wheel spins and 360's but the garda were looking then later there was police checkpoint and i got done there.

thanks guys

So if you "got done" at the checkpoint then what did he "do" you for? Were you wheel spinning at the checkpoint? Presumably not..

I wouldn't worry about point number four, you won't be doing time for this !! :rolleyes:

cormie wrote:
    Does the "private grounds" rule not apply here if it was in the Ind. Estate?

I think it falls under the public place aspect though

no i wont call him a wanker.i want to keep calm:D to avoid further problems

it was 3-4 full 360's.and then got locked up for 1 hr and then got realeased.i donot mind POINTS AND FINE but hope i donot get a ban or even imprisionment.
    i was going max 50-60 kmp but the problem is i cannot prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

drdre wrote:
    hope i donot get a ban or even imprisionment

I hope you do.

bigballs i was doing wheelspins earlier and the cops said they seen me and then when i was at a checkpoint they done me there and then under section 53 of road traffic act.

yeah i am hoping not imprisionment.

does anyone know who i can ask about the law at the moment as the stupid irish law keeps changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

A hefty fine and a lentghy ban should learn you some manners.

prospect stop wrecking the thread u muppet.go and make ur own thread u child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

drdre wrote:
    prospect stop wrecking the thread u muppet.go and make ur own thread u child.
    :D:D:D:D Pot - Kettle :D:D:D:D

You cheared me up no end there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

prospect wrote:
    I hope you do.

Come on, a custodial sentence? Will you wake up. :confused:

Drd - some would say doing donuts on a public road is acting like a child. :D

What time was it at Dre? If it does fall under the public place act, would this not change passed closing time?

Were you charged ?

Ind Est is a public place if the public have access to it, he obviously did as he drove into it.

drdre wrote:
    does anyone know who i can ask about the law at the moment as the stupid irish law keeps changing.
    I think part of the problem with this country is that they don't change the law enough!

Chief--- wrote:
    Were you charged ?

Ind Est is a public place if the public have access to it, he obviously did as he drove into it.

Suppose so yeah. There's usually a loophole in Irish law though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Get used to the view...

dsc00208.JPG

:D

hahaha brilliant.

cormie it was around 11pm when i got caught but i did them around 10pm.

thanks guys for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

drdre wrote:
    cormie it was around 11pm when i got caught but i did them around 10pm.

thanks guys for the help.

Someone probably heard you and reported it. It sounds like someone joyriding a stolen car.
    Used to happen all the time near where I lived. Pissed me off no end as its a lot louder than you think it is.
    Bet you wont do it again.

Just for the record.

From http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA24Y1961S3.html
    "public place" = means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

this thing happens every thur and near coke factory on naas rd.it was my first time i ever went.

i just did it for the laugh but wonot be doing it ever again:D

DukeDredd wrote:
    Get used to the view...

dsc00208.JPG

:D
    he will be lucky if he is the only one in the cell. He may have a cellmate!
    I image googled cellmate and bitch (no google filter) but am reluctant to show the pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

kbannon wrote:
    I image googled cellmate and bitch (no google filter) but am reluctant to show the pics :D

I just repeated the same query, oh dear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

A few people had cars taken off them where you were last night,

For those that dont know the capitals boy racers basically turn up on sundays and thursdays and race each other and handbrake/wheelspiff/diff around an industrial estate.Its nowhere near any houses ect but there would be joe public driving thru.

The garda are well wide to it,for the past while they have been taking pictures of car reg's and been recording whats gone on,The mobile cctv unit does also be down there parked off.Chances are 1:they could throw the book at you because there sick of what goes on down there and 2: they have you on tape doing it so if you pleaded innocent then you could be rightly shagged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

drdre wrote:

The only change in the 2004 road traffic act was the insertion of a paragraph stating that
    In a prosecution for an offence under this section, it is not
    a defence to show that the speed at which the accused person was
    driving was not in excess of a speed limit applying in relation to
    the vehicle or the road, whichever is the lower under this Act.

which makes this
    drdre wrote:
    i was going max 50-60 kmp but the problem is i cannot prove it.

just a little bit pointless.

My advice is to get yourself a good brief and go to court contrite and appologetic. Let your brief do the talking and be prepared to pay a substantial sum to the poor box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement